OMG aGorm lernt to moddel...

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

WOOT!! I now have moddeled my first ever half decent thing, and textured it, and got it all set up in UpSpring!!!

THATS RIGHT!!

Now Im finished geeking out I'd quite like some critiques, helpfull coments ect...

First some screens...

In case your wondering I set out to moddel a Zombie...

And hears a link to the .s3o and the texture.

http://www.onebob.co.uk/darren/pics/my3d/zombie.7z

Obviolsy this is unfinsed to a certain extent, the texture needs some more details adding, and a few errors on the hand removing, and then I have to go and script this beast up... but I'd sorly like some opinions!

aGorm

(Go easy :P ... second thing Ive modeled and textured anmd first thing ive upspringed...)

Sorry about large images....
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Wow...thats pretty nice.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Agreed. Now give it jetpacks I want zoombies! :) (nah it's fine as it is)
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Thats pretty impressive if its your first skin/second model.

The waist area seems to have alot of unnecessary polies tho, could you post a bigger wire?

Other than that its great. :-)
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Still haven't got the whole spelling thing quite down-pat yet, though, eh? ;)

Looks nice, but you may have some trouble animating it. You need to design the joints in a way that it will animate through Spring's somewhat backwards animation system.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Still haven't got the whole spelling thing quite down-pat yet, though, eh? ;)

Looks nice, but you may have some trouble animating it. You need to design the joints in a way that it will animate through Spring's somewhat backwards animation system.
Upspring system doesn't seem to bad, if only I knew how to export it. >_<
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Either Upspring's obj exporter sucks or wings is really a bad importer. 3ds are broken by default (wings' fault) and objs exported from Upspring are broken as well... :?
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Does it work in Upspring though? If not I'll reupload with teh wings files to so you can take a look.

Also, I built it to be able to do the movements I need it to do... so arms dont need full rotation as this zombie wont be doing no dancin. So I should hopefully animate alright!

aGorm

(And No, my spelling is still crap.)
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

would be kool if aGorm also learnt to make thumbnails.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

NEVER!!! :evil: :twisted:

aGorm

::EDIT:: OK I can see now Im at work why thay may be a problem, as they are almost as wide as my monitor... Im afraid Its because Im used to my 1920 pixels of width at home that I jsut assume that the images are tiny (cause on my monitor they take up less than half the screen.)
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Just use imageshack, it generates thumbs. Oh and large pictures make threads clusmy and a pain to read (often).
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Not bad at all. Now for the mean part.

From a purely artistic point of view I'd recommend painting organic faces as 1 piece in the future. Human faces are generally no where near symmetrical, and trying to force symmetry on them makes them look really odd. It doesn't ruin the zombie because a zombie is supposed to look like a freak, but if you tried to do a normal human like that it would explode from ugliness.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

EVERYBODY does symmetric faces. It's rarely a problem.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

And it saves time and preserves detail.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

I have to agree with swift-spear, here the face doesnt look too bad but the symetry on the shirt looks a tad gaarish, I try to avoid symetry in UV maps altogether except for in special cases...
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I did think maybe I over optimised it for symitry... but lack of prior knoedge is to blame for that. Next time Ill prob jsut have the arms and legs mirrore dand leave the body the same.

As for the face, I think symatry is what almost everyone does... I just need practace at making it look like hot sex. (obviolsy not littral hot sex, then it wont look like a face.)

aGorm
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

It's not very likely that people will ever notice that in spring and go like OH MY GOD HIS FACE IS LIKE... SYMMETRICAL. :cry:

Comon, it's pretty good for a first human model. And humans are difficult (at least for me).
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

On higher-poly models where detail really matters, face maps are not mirrored.

But it doesn't really matter unless you wish to add details on each side to make it look asymmetrical.

Some good examples

Some good examples of mirrored faces:

That would mean a A 1024x1024 tex map for this is unnecessary tho; 256x256 or even 128x128 is more than sufficient.

That being said, its a great start aGorm. :-)

Just work on optimising those polycounts, try maximising them so you can get results like this.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

But She has no Nose!!! :-) I think maybe she's a little toooo low polie, I mean, in this day and age....

Those examples are very cool, thanks for showing them to me.

As for my texture being 1024.... :-) It looks fine in upspring which reduces you texture to like 512. And im sure it would look alright smaller still. Baring in mind that they'lll prob be about the height of a peewee when im done, I expect I've been to detailed, so shrinking wont hurt.

Best to start big and shrink it right?? (Right? Or should I draw it as I plan to use it?)

aGorm
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Lol, yes she does. Well, least in the texture. :P

Just illustrating that you can make game models look cool without overdoing it with the model polycount; all the detail should be in your skin.

Well, the best would be to make the skin at the size you intend to use. Because shrinking the tex might warp some details, then you'd have to do touch-ups.

1024x -> 256x is a pretty big leap, so a little fine editing would be in order but human skins generally scale better.

Return to “Art & Modelling”