Absolute Annihilation 2.23 - Page 3

Absolute Annihilation 2.23

All game release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Did he even change the nukes at all? IIRC all that was changed is that Spring now respects edgeeffectiveness which means even the outer edge of the blast still gets decent damage (OTA used like .3 for most of the stuff, with Spring the edges usually got less than 1% of the damage before this change). The nukes had pretty huge explosions in 2.11 as well, they just didn't behave correctly in Spring. I remember going "Holy Crap!" when I looked into the datafiles to read up on their blast radiuses. Core nukes have a blast rdius of 1920 in AA, 512 in OTA.
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

...I just wonder if this final release will be widely accepted, or if the community will fragment apart, as such a massive gap has grown between versions.
I hardly think the community will split apart, AA is pretty much a new game every release, that's what makes it AA - it never gets boring coz you have to adapt. Dunno bout you guys, but i'd get bored of the same old same old, some things need to be changed
YHCIR

Post by YHCIR »

Why were orcs removed? :(
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

It appears the new core Commando can destroy fort walls with its paralyser gun.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

That would be an engine bug.

YHCIR: Because they were pointless and don't fit into Arm's style. Just build the next cheaper unit (what's it called? Bantha?). They're just as cost (in)effective.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

YHCIR wrote:Why were orcs removed? :(
Because you're supposed to kill your opponent before ever needing one, duh.
CautionToTheWind

Post by CautionToTheWind »

I read in some other thread that this version of AA has "unpopular" features so that other mods will be more played. And indeed, it has the radar range joke, maybe there will be a few more. Did the no auto-heal "feature" got included too?

Did you make that change that makes AA unplayable in speed metal?

And then then the 80Mb download pack. The other mods would have been a childish, arrogant and imposing add on, But the maps are just insulting. There are mappers here with egos the size of galaxy superclusters and not even them had the idea of forcing maps down anyone's throat.

My point being, i don't think i've ever seen a project BEG so much for a fork as AA is right now. Pretty soon we'll be playing AA-fixed or whatever it will be called. Someone else do it, not me.

And Caydr, balance is only achieved with a light hand.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

CautionToTheWind wrote:I read in some other thread that this version of AA has "unpopular" features so that other mods will be more played. And indeed, it has the radar range joke, maybe there will be a few more. Did the no auto-heal "feature" got included too?
I sure hope so.

As for the new radar changes, it just forces you to build radars in the areas you want to watch for incoming enemies rather than in the middle of your base, not really a bad idea.
YHCIR

Post by YHCIR »

ZellSF wrote:
YHCIR wrote:Why were orcs removed? :(
Because you're supposed to kill your opponent before ever needing one, duh.
Does the same theory apply to Krogs? May as well remove them too.
:roll:
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

ZellSF wrote: I sure hope so.

As for the new radar changes, it just forces you to build radars in the areas you want to watch for incoming enemies rather than in the middle of your base, not really a bad idea.
it actually is a bad idea, the whole point of radar is being able to see movement far away without having actual visual, if it loses the range why wouldn't you just build a dragons eye a few steps in front of your lines? you have the range and the visual :-
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Machiosabre wrote:
ZellSF wrote: I sure hope so.

it actually is a bad idea, the whole point of radar is being able to see movement far away without having actual visual, if it loses the range why wouldn't you just build a dragons eye a few steps in front of your lines? you have the range and the visual :-
Because then those crawling nukes things or a commander will really hurt you.

And that doesn't really make it a bad idea, unless the radar range is about the same of the dragon eye.

Edit: and yes, I wouldn't mind if level 3 was completely removed :P
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

MR.D wrote:4 maps,

19.5 mb | Altored_Arctic - Caydr's new 4 corners map in FFA style
9 mb/8.2 mb | RiverDale+Sparewood - 80% of spring players already have
7.5 mb | Nano_ArenaV2
Problem is Riverdale pack doesn't work anymore. Unless its been repacked?

And calm down Spiked, you're not doing anyone any favours.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Das Bruce wrote:
MR.D wrote:4 maps,

19.5 mb | Altored_Arctic - Caydr's new 4 corners map in FFA style
9 mb/8.2 mb | RiverDale+Sparewood - 80% of spring players already have
7.5 mb | Nano_ArenaV2
Problem is Riverdale pack doesn't work anymore. Unless its been repacked?
It has.
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

Units removed: hyper radars, bertha ships, bertha tanks, orcone,
krogtaar, artillery hovers, aegis, firestorm, nano towers

all okay but why remove bertha ships ? why remove bertha tanks ? why orcone ? why krogtaar ? nano towers removed ?!?!

all this units were used..... and we liked them.... :cry:
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Bhaal wrote:all okay but why remove bertha ships ? why remove bertha tanks ? why orcone ? why krogtaar ? nano towers removed ?!?!
Covered in the 2.2 thread. The Orcone and Bantha were redundant, the Krogtaar had few real uses, Caydr got fed up with constant bitching from people who didn't understand how absurdly overcosted and slow the "mobile" Berthas were and removed them because they never get built anyway.

Nano Towers simply weren't efficient. Better to con-spam.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

What, nano towers are still there
Arco

Post by Arco »

Legitimate, non-whiny complaints:
It seems the new explosions, while pretty, are far too short--to the degree that I will see two frames worth if I'm lucky. They're gone within a tiny fraction of a second. Most units simply seem to undergo a phase transition from solid to bouncing polygons or wreckage, which makes the game look more like an early beta product (not that it plays like one). It just seems like many of the small explosions need to last about four times as long so that I can actually see them. I'm not sure if this is an engine bug or just an unfortunate side-effect of wanting to reduce the number of simultaneous effects in a large battle, but I think it's a bit too extreme when I virtually never see these pretty new explosions.

Air repair pad still gets bounced around by units something ridiculous. While I know this arises from an engine bug, wasn't 2.2 supposed to include a decent workaround for this?

And lastly, I miss being able to get nice sonar coverage without having to build a seaplane platform; makes hunting down UW mexes involve construction of a whole factory I normally don't build. But I guess that's the intention--to make sure you have something in the water that subs can hit if you want a unit that can easily spot them.

The amount of people complaining about changes without even playing the mod is pretty sad.
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

"mobile" Berthas were and removed them because they never get built anyway.
.... i did build them :) and there were lot s of people who disabled them because they were too strong...
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

Is it just me or are the emp impulses (e.g. from the arm emp bomber) ridiculous.... making gols fly over the entire map? I remember someone pointing this out during beta....

Also, are there no unit icons implement for the radar yet?

Other than than, great job Caydr!
Lolsquad_Steven

Post by Lolsquad_Steven »

Lippy wrote:Is it just me or are the emp impulses (e.g. from the arm emp bomber) ridiculous.... making gols fly over the entire map? I remember someone pointing this out during beta....

Also, are there no unit icons implement for the radar yet?

Other than than, great job Caydr!
Tried the 'Commando' yet?

Return to “Game Releases”