Console to Computer Graphics.

Post just about everything that isn't directly related to Spring here!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

My friend says a console has better graphics than a computer. I recently (Just for the hell of it) started Halo, on full graphics. I played 8 frames per second, but it was awesome! I never knew Halo would have graphics like those, or cool effects too!

Whats your take on the subject?

Edit: anybody got an up to date computer that can play Halo full gfx with 30 or so FPS, and an x-box?

If so, then could you take a 5 min recording of each on the same level?

I mean, there was this awesome green effect for the plasma handgun thing (I haven't played played in a while lol) but it wasn't on X-box last time I saw. I would like someone to prove my friend and a lot of other people wrong, heheh.
mehere101

Post by mehere101 »

ok. heres the way consoles have worked up til now. The console only has to render a scene (at most) in 720 x 540 (NTSC highest resolution IIRC). My computer can pretty much do that at 20 fps (with all the shaders tossed in). My gfx card is a Radeon 9600.

With the next gen consoles they have about the power of a medium end computer ( from last year).
Muzic

Post by Muzic »

Halo on pc is pretty nice, 9600XT and im getting about 30-60 fps. Never below 25 online. I believe the ps3 will be using a 7300, 7600 one of em.,
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

PC vs. Console topics usually end in flamewars.

PCs have better graphics because they keep upgrading while consoles have to nail down their hardware to what is a reasonably priced config a few months before release. PCs also have better graphics because noone thinks "this won't run on the PC", for one thing you don't know what PCs will look like when you release it and if PCs are weaker than anticipated the user just turns down some of the details until he has a PC that can handle full detail.

Halo is not a good comparison since it looks like crap to begin with (sorry but plastering one contcrete texture over half the level doesn't count as professional in my eyes) and the PC port was shoddy as hell.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

We had that in #main just a few days ago. I'd say some consoles are cool and had way better graphics than PCs at that time but that was in 1992. :P

As far as graphics go, no console can cope with a PC at the moment, graphics on a TV always look nicer than they really are, believe me. Of course they (the consoles) support hardware features which the PC lacks (or lacked, such as cool looking framebuffer moves on the PSX) but in the end they stay behind. PC + various emulators + PS2 pad and USB adapter = true win :)

/me invites Fang to join the quarrel...discussion.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

From a technical standpoint graphics on a console are far FAR inferior to PC graphics. TV's have alot of really tricky tools that make poor quality images look better when they really are not though, so from a users standpoint graphics very well could look better on a TV when the same graphical images posted over to a monitor would look terrible. That being said, monitors can also do things like be read when the size of a letter on screen is smaller then the size of a relative pixel on a TV, so the image on a monitor is MUCH MUCH more crisp.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

Besides, who actually believes a consol (worth about £400 all in) can graphically compete with pc graphics cards that cost £400 on their own, which can be doubled up.

The fact that consols pretty much do compete with the high end of pc's when they're released (I say pretty much as it's usually a bit hit or miss weather the games use the power effectivly) is a testement to the efficiency of a dedicated design.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

PC + various emulators + PS2 pad and USB adapter = true win :)

Why would you voluntarily use that horrible controller Sony attaches to the PS2?
Drone_Fragger

Post by Drone_Fragger »

And all consoles, except the wii, are unoriginal. They are basically a Snes controller with 2 new joysticks added on, then the same fucking console with slightly better graphics and a slightly faster clock speed. Its just dumb. The Wii actually breaks away from this system, which they invented 20 years ago.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Drone_Fragger wrote:And all consoles, except the wii, are unoriginal. They are basically a Snes controller with 2 new joysticks added on, then the same fucking console with slightly better graphics and a slightly faster clock speed. Its just dumb. The Wii actually breaks away from this system, which they invented 20 years ago.
The graphics and processing are a HUGE bit more then slightly better then the SNES. Technically speaking the SNES wasn't really an impressive system at all, and I mean for it's day even. The reality of the situation here is that if the wiimote really works well then it's bought the nintendo one generation of glory before it will be copied in the next generation. If it doesn't work well then it was just a bad gamble on their part. They really haven't done anything amazingly innovative here, they just gambled a little. Interface devices are really just gadgetry in the console world, because the PS3 can handle incoming giro information from it's controllers they could likely patch a wiimote in to function perfectly on that hardware as well with a little hackery.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Well, I used Halo as an example, I was looking for something that wasn't on the X-box, and I found it. Particle effects.

Smoke from frag nades, a really cool electrical effect on charged plasma shots. These are some of the few I have found. I need to buy my new computer someday... I only have 450$ though....

I have to go to school and don't even get paid for it! lame..
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

In the uk, you now get paid for 6th form/college (this is the two years of education from 16-17 before you go to uni).

Lazy bums, I had to get a job to get any money when I was in college.

Back on topic it's a bit harsh to complain that all gamepads are snes ripoffs. True as it may be the design has worked quite well so why change it?
Untill the technology came along for the Wiimote there wasn't really any need to innovate and create an entirely new controller design.
After all I'm typing this on a keyboard that was essentially designed in 1874.
pheldens

Post by pheldens »

Atari was out way earlier with a similar system. (7 years before nintendo a quick wiki glance learns)
Anyway, stop the company fanboy bs, and play open source games.
Bhaal

Post by Bhaal »

i think the ps3 gfx is as fast as a 7950gx2

and the cell processor is really fast with his 7 cores !?

and console games are optimized for it s hardware!

Remember you can play computer games on a high variety of different hardware and operating systems.
Aun

Post by Aun »

Deathblane wrote:In the uk, you now get paid for 6th form/college (this is the two years of education from 16-17 before you go to uni).

Lazy bums, I had to get a job to get any money when I was in college.
Only if you're in a low-income family abnd it's £30 max a week with a few bonuses if you're lucky.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

PC's and Consoles are ususally like this....

PC: Slow and steady. You just upgrade it slowly over time and everything is fine

Consoles: Jerky and fast. You have a uber console for about...two years or so. Then it becomes a good console. Then a okay console. Then a BAD console. Then a really bad console. Then you get a NEW console and its UBER again!

So I like PC's, cause I don't need to wait for a new 'uber' stage and can just upgrade in dribbles and bits. Also, from a purely personal stand point, this PC is MY PC. I have owned it for a decade, upgrading here and there. If I owned a console, it would be the same as every other console on the market...but this PC is mine.
Deathblane

Post by Deathblane »

Aun wrote: Only if you're in a low-income family abnd it's £30 max a week with a few bonuses if you're lucky.
Well where I went to college in North Devon low income = average income (most people qualify for the £10 a week, or so I've heard), and the bonuses are for attendence so not to hard t oget if you're actually serious about your A level.
And still that's 10 quid for doing nothing.
Aun

Post by Aun »

Where I come from if you miss a lesson you don't get any money for the week. The only bonus I know of is the £100 at Xmas or something...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

I think PC's are better. In the long run, I have seen a maxed out comp vs. the graphics of oblivion on THE X-BOX 360, and the PC won.
Aun

Post by Aun »

PCs will probably always win out, apart fromk the first 6 months of a consoles release. Then again, consoles are getting closer and closer to PCs, so it could be possible to upgrade your console one day.

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”