Suggestions: New Map Format, Mod Management - Page 2

Suggestions: New Map Format, Mod Management

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Then the INI file would have to be in the Spring root directory or a dedicated "mods" directory, otherwise loading and detecting would be more time consuming.

Other than that, well thought out!
coryrc

Which folder

Post by coryrc »

Gnome wrote:1. Directory Structure
See image. It's fairly self explanetory.
If you make the directories under Program Files/TASpring you will require users to run as Administrator in order to play the game, add stuff, etc. which adds more security risks. It would be nice that whoever ends up working on this part at least offers the option to add a folder on the desktop or something...
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

If you don't have administration rights on Linux, then you should be able to install the mod in your ~/.spring directory. I don't like the idea of putting program files on the desktop however. :P
NMDANGE

Post by NMDANGE »

On Windows, there is this directory in users' profiles called "Application Data". That's where mods would go if the user didn't have write access to to the Spring directory. The desktop is *not* a place to save files, despite what users think :roll:
coryrc

Post by coryrc »

NMDANGE wrote:On Windows, there is this directory in users' profiles called "Application Data". That's where mods would go if the user didn't have write access to to the Spring directory. The desktop is *not* a place to save files, despite what users think :roll:
I just wanted everyone to not hard-code their paths in, for the stated reason and for Linux (which requires safety). However, it is harder to download and save files to something under appdata and everyone understands the desktop metaphor :)
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

The thing about windows though, is that in most cases the user will have administration rights.

In Linux, that isn't always the case. Which is why they have dot-files for configuration and whatnot. ;)
NMDANGE

Post by NMDANGE »

coryrc wrote:
NMDANGE wrote:On Windows, there is this directory in users' profiles called "Application Data". That's where mods would go if the user didn't have write access to to the Spring directory. The desktop is *not* a place to save files, despite what users think :roll:
I just wanted everyone to not hard-code their paths in, for the stated reason and for Linux (which requires safety). However, it is harder to download and save files to something under appdata and everyone understands the desktop metaphor :)
There is always the My Documents folder. I have a few games which put save files there.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, a different location would be acceptable. It's just the structure that needs to remain intact.

About the INI needing to be in the main spring folder, how about this:

Instead of the INI files having variable names between mods, just make them have one standard name, like SpringMod.ini or whatever. Then, at least, the game would only need to look for one filename in various folders rather than files of a certain type in all those folders. This would bork the shortcut thing, though, so instead of the shortcuts pointing to the INI, they could use the mod's directory name. The thing is, I play UT2004 a lot and a lot of mods aren't packaged very well; they have files all over the place, which makes it a difficult mess to uninstall them. I want to see Spring use a similar system, but with mods completely self contained, whereever on the hard drive they may be.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

Ace07 wrote:The thing about windows though, is that in most cases the user will have administration rights.
Indeed... To my knowledge, at least 99% of Windows home-users use the OS under an account with full administrative rights.
coryrc

Post by coryrc »

PauloMorfeo wrote:
Ace07 wrote:The thing about windows though, is that in most cases the user will have administration rights.
Indeed... To my knowledge, at least 99% of Windows home-users use the OS under an account with full administrative rights.
We shouldn't make it any harder on them to run without it.

If I've ever helped anybody with computer trouble, the first thing I demand is that they do not use administrator regularly, but it's necessary for the kids and their games (most times).
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Gnome, then the mod installer would have to physically put in a new entry in the main ini file.

Just create a final spec for the format and use .mod for the extension, then when the game loads it can look for .mod files. :)
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

Y'know, I have faith that the SY have a sound solution to the mod problem, and that they're just working on other more important features of spring as of right now, such as the hailed "game not crashing" feature.
Xon

Post by Xon »

coryrc wrote:
Thats why under windows you register a given file extension, and the user just needs to doubleclick on the map/unit/mod and the game installs it to the correct location.

Then it doesnt matter how the game stores the files, the game automatically takes a map/unit/mod file and copies it to the right place.
el_muchacho

Post by el_muchacho »

Sean Mirrsen wrote: In addition, the use of detail textures on the landscape, and, more importantly, custom detail textures, will mask the somewhat lower resolution of the texture.
On tiles: I think the terrain could have a more advanced system. Firstly, it would have a base color. Then, there would be an archive (or archives) of images that could be used by merely positioning them on the landscape. Using transparency on the images, you could create anything from spots on the ground (largeish spots :P), to some specific rock or cliff textures. And, finally, the terrain would have a 'damaged' texture. Or several textures to reflect how much damage an area suffered. These textures would be applied to disturbed soil, and some more could be applied at different depth of holes made in the landscape.

Wow, long post. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.
If one goes down that path, it would probably be interesting to think about using shaders (although I am not sure shaders are standard in OpenGL).
But if the end result looks a bit like the upcoming Earth 2160... :twisted: (we are allowed to dream, aren't we ? :wink: )

Return to “Engine”