Announcing........ - Page 3

Announcing........

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

The Thud looks pretty good.

The cockpit on the storm really looks out of place. Glass textures could be covering any kind of sensor, but what you've got there looks very much like a cockpit. Even if you aren't following the TA fluff, the visible cockpit on the Storm and the lack of one on the Thud looks odd.
bamb

Post by bamb »

KDR_11k wrote:BeeWee? You mean Herman.
You're correct. :oops:
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I could remodel the Storm's "head" area, I mean, it's no work at all. But my end goal is to make everything so that you can still identify it just by looking at it from the top, ie, in TA-style view. It'll just be a lot more detailed and nicer for other modes, like total war and FPS.

And Storm has always had a strange, out-of-place cockpit.

Also, in response to a question that was asked, they models will be posted as S3O. At this time I do not plan on giving away my original model files, any more than you'd expect Unreal Annihilation to do that. It's an original art that I have already used to get job offers... I don't feel comfortable giving them away, at this time. Also, in order to use these in your mod or mods, I would ask you provide a note of where you got them and possibly a URL to a site where I can be contacted. One needs a real income eventually.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Caydr wrote:And Storm has always had a strange, out-of-place cockpit.
Out of place may have been a poor choice of words. "Inconsistent" might be better.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Could a LOD be used - showing the New Ones if getting Closer ? Or would the Jump be to obvious - If only my Machine would be so good as your work is Cadyr ... :cry:
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Wow, you put a lot of work into this man, many thanks!
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

PicassoCT wrote:Could a LOD be used - showing the New Ones if getting Closer ? Or would the Jump be to obvious - If only my Machine would be so good as your work is Cadyr ... :cry:
OMG, that would be a beast of a beast of a machine XD
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

bamb wrote:
j5mello wrote:names, sounds, scripts. Also the Texture could not use the ARM/CORE logos anywhere on em to be GPL.
So how about LEG and KERNEL?

Kernel's slow-moving massive bot Wrestler is really of level 2.5, and the Tin is more of a medium level 2 bot that can take a lot of punishment too. Leg has the small and fast Mite for very early harassment as well as the trusty BeeWee light bot. Banger and Thump for plasma, Rocky and Blast for rockets... Fifi is Leg's bot for skirmishing and JC is Kernel's light scout.

:lol: :-) :o :roll:

Reminds me of how Q3F did team fortress things so as not to violate TFS ip. Scout -> Recon etc...
Rofl. If you could do that for all the units... that would be teh awesomes :P
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

SinbadEV wrote:this "without any loss of detail at all" thing is basically that sping's rederer asumes any six sided cylinder is treated as roud anyways... or so rumor has it... and if it's true then basically spring is going to ignore those polys anyways so you can probably leave them in their without any issues anyways.
The "asumes any six sided cylinder is treated as roud" means that any angle less than 30 degrees has smooth normals.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

No, any angle has smooth normals as long as the vertices and UV coordinates are connected.
Argh

Post by Argh »

^^ What he said. Getting them seperated to make clean-cut edges is a somewhat-annoying process, but is possible (heh, I am glad somebody caught on to how the Lord was achieved).
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Ehhh.. well... *hint-hint* maybe these won't just be used for spring? *wink* *wink* *nudge*
PK Maximoo

Post by PK Maximoo »

Someone's thinking ahead.

On the other hand, so are other someones.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

In a portfolio it wouldn't look good to waste so many polies on the barrel, either. I mean, if you want to add polygons add some parts like wiring, vents, exposed mechanics, etc. Are you posting them on another forum that has more professional artists available as well? If not, may I suggest Polycount?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

This is strictly artistic, I'm not really concerned very much with polygon count. I don't believe it will be an issue.

As for those GEM shots, I'm going to do one better and try and put some kind of GEM content in the next AA release.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

If it's just for yourself to look at or maybe render a few pictures for a webite, yes, it's good enough but in a portfolio the employer will check your polygon efficiency and a 12? 16? sided barrel looks like an amateur mistake.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Looks like != is

Since someone asked for it, here's some comparison of GEM (1000 triangles per fighter) versus AA (~50 triangles per fighter) performance in two modes: low, with reflections and shadows off; high, with reflections and shadows on

AA, High detail: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/ ... A_HIGH.jpg (note that many of the units are actually offscreen, since I couldn't fit them in the shot)

AA, Low detail: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/caydr/AA_LOW.jpg

Ready for the huge framerate decrease?

GEM, High detail: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/ ... M_HIGH.jpg (all 500 are onscreen, but it's roughly the same zoom level... GEM fighters turn much more quickly than AA ones, so they weren't spread all over the place)

GEM, Low detail: http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m73/ ... EM_LOW.jpg

These must be artificial though, right? Maybe I was running something in the background to slow the AA tests down? Maybe I had dynamic water turned on or something? Maybe I was using my totally l33t photoshop skills and modifying the numbers, as has been suggested before. You'll be able to run this "Futureproof" test yourself with AA 2.2, including one fully-functional GEM fighter to make the comparison with, as well as the two identical save files as I used to perform the tests above.

Unfortunately, since the interface elements were disabled when I took these pics, you can't see what the main culprits were. Line of Sight was the highest usage item on the list.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Its still bad design ethic. :P
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

FWIW it's pointless to have 1500 poly models when your units are 10 pixels wide :P Good for closeups, but IMHO not worth the FPS drop on older gfx cards (of course, if you add LOD, I'm all for it :))
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Personally i can't wait for these new models, i always play with the rotatable overhead camera, and i run with everything on full detail, so anything that makes AA/Spring look better im all for!

Return to “Art & Modelling”