Small changes to camera modes

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

MrAstrup

Post by MrAstrup »

Hi.

I suggest that:

The TA style camera mode is enhanced by making it possible to rotate the view 90 degrees. If say your base is located at 12 o'clock and the enemy at 6 o´clock on a map, the player having the base at 12 o´clock is always facing his own base and the enemy at the "back", because the camera always has ´12 0'clock at the front.

The Total War camera is changed a litlle, so that the camera angle is not 90 degree topdown when you are zooming out, but only 80 or 75. This would increases the sight a litlle when zooming out. As it is now, you hardly dare to zoom out because the overview is too little, which is a shame.

Do anyone agree ?

-MrAstrup
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

i think the TA camera should be left alone.

The totalwar camer could be improved a little.
Rayden

Post by Rayden »

I think it would be great if you could rotate the view in TA style camera.
HellToupee

Post by HellToupee »

i ild like an improved fps camera, where mouse wheel zooms in and out and arrow keys move you left right foward back on a horizontal plane. And teh ability to focus on targets home world style, it has very good camera controls . Also like how its line of sight is in homeworld bubbles not just textures on the ground, much easyer on the eye.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

About this, i would like that the default camera that is activated when game starts, not be the FPS. Either the Total War camera or the TA camera...

People that don't know/don't care about how to change camera, will find hard to play the game and it will seem like a bad implementation of gameplay...

Should be pretty easy to change. Just a matter of finding where the code is and probably changing a variable initialization...
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I would also like to see a rotate function for the tastyle, maybe only 180 degress so you can see your base always from the same point regardless of the place you start.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Currently using the middle mouse button in TA style view doesn't give anything save disabling the RTS cursor interface. Would be interesting if instead that would let me orientate the camera to my will, then the camera angle would be kept when middle-clicking back to RTS cursor interface. That way I could have a view with any angle, but style TA-style scrolling. Then have home (or whatever unused key, for I think home is currently to reduce tree render distance) to reset camera to the precise orientation it has by default.
MrAstrup

Good idea

Post by MrAstrup »

Good idea zwzsg.

Regarding, the total war camera I think something similar should be done.

For the moment, you are looking more or less 90 degress upside down if you are zooming out. This should either be set to 75 degress/adjustable or when scrolling with the mouse to zoom in, the view should become horisontal a litlle earlier. As it is now, you almost have to hit the ground before you can see the enemy approaching.

-MrAstrup
zzymyn

Post by zzymyn »

:thup: Being able to change the orientation of the TA style camera would be great.

...and inceasing the scroll speed...
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

I barely use the total war cam. I think it's too slow, especially rotating. and you need to be fast around the map in ta.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Why not just add a populous style camera option to the list of camera modes?
mongus

ugh

Post by mongus »

Im starting to like the interface as it is.
Specially the total war cammera, as it lets u notice those small height differences, escential to ...
Lets make it 'configurable' even better, make some plugin (mod?)
to be able to define own styles...

In fps i almost always feel i need to lock x axis, a freeaxis key should do the work nicely.
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

The interface is pretty good. However I'd like to see some hotkeys like F6-F8 switch camera modes, so that you don't have to cycle all modes. For instance when you are doing true FPS mode and your unit dies, you will be stuck in TA style mode(if you pressed C in that mode), but the camera won't go back to ta overhead mode, you're still at the last point of view your unit was before it died. Pressing F7 should solve this and prevent you from having to cycle through 2 modes to get back into the desired mode(which you should have been in, in the first place).
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

F6 to F8 are already bound.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Well i think that i love that i think that i love the whole FPS camera thing. uhhh right. So i like the FPS camera becasue it allowes you to see the full coolness of Spring. Call me wird, insane or mentaly retarted but i like to LOOK at the graphics more than i like to play the game. But only a little. So when i set up the whole attack plane i sit back and whatch the fireworks! Mabey thats why i keep loseing....
Azuril

Post by Azuril »

NOiZE wrote:i think the TA camera should be left alone.

The totalwar camer could be improved a little.
Hey all, Azuril here.. i r n00b but didnt know about spring till about 3 days ago. *i always KNEW they were more ppl that wanted to see TA (best rts ever) in full 3D like me w00t!*

btw im currently earning my diploma of screen @ cgc in 3D max so im on call for any 3d models u guys want ill do em! *btw ill also do the buildings, NEED to see town and country in SPRING*

I Agree with NOiZE, the TA camera should be left untouched, improvemtents to the total war camera could be made but i think that the tracking camera and first person camera could be greatly improved aswell.

ok, idea time.

1. With the tracking camera, when zoomed in, you should be able to hold down the right mouse button to rotate around the unit, and use the middle mouse button to zoom in and out.

2. the first person camera should rotate with the units rotation when flying. i want to be able to dive and do flips! also the ability for the camera to go underwater. also w,s,a,d funtionality couldnt hurt ;P

3. this has nothing to do with the camera, its more graphical but anyways. refraction when something is underwater??

4. I LOVE THE NEW MINING SYSTEM, it rox that wasnt an idea but needed to be said

5. an ability to make the life bars dissapear?? wasnt that binded to ~ ??

6. and binding for speed up game and slow down to - and = repectively, caus the numpad sux balls ^_^

thx all great job
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Add a populous style camera!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “General Discussion”