Balance to OTA

Balance to OTA

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Doomweaver

Balance to OTA

Post by Doomweaver »

Your suggestions here, and the reasons. We are aiming for an absolute maximum of 30% change to stats for units, so yeah, keep it within reason. ALso, remember not to change the role of units, as was mentioned in another thread.
I'll start with my suggestions...

Radar towers have 2x the range (seriously, they are just so useless)
Sonars have 1.5x the range

Flash do 10% less damage.
AK do 10% more damage.
Thuds should have 10% more life.

All scouts should have 20% higher top speed (excpet the aircraft), 20% larger sight radius, and a small radar about twice the distance they can now see.

Avengers and the core equivalent should do 30% more damage.
Bombers of all kinds should be 10% faster.

Rapiers should be a little more accurate, maybe... discuss

Transports of all kinds, once they work, should have 30% more life and 20% higher speed.

LLT's need 10% more life.
Guardians should cos 10% less metal.

Not sure about Metal Makers... discuss.

Torpedo launchers should be underwater units... discuss.

Spiders, once they work, should maybe be invisible to radar... this also needs to be discussed.

Intimidators should cost 10% less metal, and be built 15% quicker.

Artilery Vehicles i.e. lugers. should have 20% more range, slightly better accuracy, and do 30% more damage. (That's pretty major, but they ued to suck!)

Merl's and Diplomat's... discuss - are they good enough...

Penetrators should do 10% more damage

Goliath's, Reapers and Bulldogs should have 10% more range.

Mellenium's should fire 15% faster
Warlords's should have 10% more life

Executors and their equivalent should have 30% more range.

Auto targetting facility... discuss.
Rapid fire plasma cannons... discuss.
Krogoths... discuss..

That should get us started!
Last edited by Doomweaver on 03 May 2005, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Radar towers have 2x the range (seriously, they are just so useless)
I'm not sure cause with autofire, radar are even more usefull.

I always thinked that golitah and bitbull was too weak...they are big tank, but can be easly kill by flash..perhaps a bit more armore.

edit : That's a good initiative ! When (if) it will be a more advanced, I would lke to talk about new race.
Last edited by Torrasque on 03 May 2005, 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
The Grand Poobah

Post by The Grand Poobah »

Samson missiles should do 20% less damage to ground units. Either that or they should be more expensive. Ditto to the other one.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Samson's aren't so good anymore, cause they cannot fire over other units. Or so i've heard.

Also, radars seem alright with AA. Try it, then repost with your opinions.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I like big radar in AA. Bigger range -> bigger cost. Then, I'm ok with you.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Make all the tanks faster, especially bulldog/goliath. Right now these two are sitting ducks, and it seems totally out of scale that tracked vehicles move so slow. Think of the big german tanks in WW2... they could move very fast on a road.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

Sheesh guys, this has LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG since been done. It's called Uberhack or Absolute Annihilation or Master Edition.

Edit: apparently i can't send master edition. Shame.
Last edited by sparkyhodgo on 04 May 2005, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

UH, AA, and others have been made for TA, and with TA in mind. Spring brought with it new dimensions, new features, and new restrictions, and a new mod should be made to account for that.
Frog

Post by Frog »

Yes, but why not start from a mod that is much more better balanced already ?
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I think we ought to start from OTA, because then we can list every change made, and take it into account.
Another idea, crawling bombs should be 40% faster.
sparkyhodgo

Post by sparkyhodgo »

No, seriously guys: IT'S BEEN DONE. People have already put in literally thousands of hours doing this. The chages are documented. Don't reinvent the wheel.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Can you point to a site where it lists everything that's been changed.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

I really like AA, but I think it change too much from TA..And I would really love to add new race...wich could be very hard in AA. (core and arm would have 2x more units than current 3rd party race)

And I never played UH, but if someone give it to me for spring, I would be glad to test.
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

I like AA too - it's the best mod i've played. But I reckon we just need a tweaked OTA.

Also, increase the damage of Anaconda's and their equivalent by 10%, and their life by 10%.

Increase the life of the two AA hovercraft by 15%.

Give the scout boat a small sonar.
mongus

Uberhack

Post by mongus »

Uberhack site still there

http://www.planetannihilation.com/bsr/

nicely documented

edit

here is xta site aswell

http://www.clan-sy.com/download/xta/

i dont think thats the spring version anyhow.
I have not found much documentation about this mod.
Last edited by mongus on 04 May 2005, 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Tsumari

Post by Tsumari »

Use uberhack, it is an excellent mod with untold hours of work put into it. My mind's not yet made up on AA.
SatiatedGakidou

Post by SatiatedGakidou »

I like alot of what is done with Uberhack, and it is probably the closest to OTA of the big three mods I've seen (XTA, AA and UH), but it still changes too much from OTA. Honestly, I think that OTA for TASpring should keep functioning in such a way that players used to OTA will not be suprised by the changes presented by the mod; UH, AA and XTA all fail to do this, as they add units and make fundamental change to the way in which many units operate. I think that Switeck's TA Bugfix might be a good basis for an OTA mod with only bugfixes and slight tweaks to units (without changing any of the units characteristically).
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

actualyl, XTA only adds one unit..a light fusion

and all of the units have been balenced to still perform their original way..but everything is now cost effective, so the person who wins is the one who uses the right mix of units, not the one who was told that one or two units would win the game for them

I'm actually liking XTA more and more.
Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

SatiatedGakidou wrote:I like alot of what is done with Uberhack, and it is probably the closest to OTA of the big three mods I've seen (XTA, AA and UH), but it still changes too much from OTA. Honestly, I think that OTA for TASpring should keep functioning in such a way that players used to OTA will not be suprised by the changes presented by the mod; UH, AA and XTA all fail to do this, as they add units and make fundamental change to the way in which many units operate. I think that Switeck's TA Bugfix might be a good basis for an OTA mod with only bugfixes and slight tweaks to units (without changing any of the units characteristically).
I agree with this.

TA bugfix might be a good place to start for a basic OTA mod for players. And maybe some slight tweaks as well...

But i wouldnt mind paying more for the radar is it had a longer range. And please see if you can increase the bulldog/goliath speed. They are lieterly gone in seconds in game.

And i heard now the krogoth is to OVERPOWERED? Is this true?

Phoenix

Return to “Game Development”