Would you like an ID based player registering ?

Requests for features in the spring code.

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like player registering to be changed to ID based ?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 26

hawkki

Post by hawkki »

I dont think there has been a poll about this yet, so lets bring an answer to this feature that has been discussed over and over again. What do YOU think ?

And for those of you that don't know what this is about, read this for instance: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6645

Benefits of ID based player registering:
-keep track of players
-stats
-dramatically reducing general lameiness
Mars Keeper

Post by Mars Keeper »

Yes. I would.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Moved to feature requests, this really didn't need to be a poll either :P
hawkki

Post by hawkki »

SwiftSpear wrote:...this really didn't need to be a poll either :P
So you are saying that this is something that is commonly agreed as something that should be done, the question is whos' going to do it ?
Last edited by hawkki on 21 Aug 2006, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

me and iamacup plan on integrating the server we setup into the account database for the ladder thus giving us numeric ID's that stay constant regardless of name changes......
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

It's actually really really common databasing practice to assign every entry a unique ID. I'm a bit surprised betalord didn't do it right away...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

even jouninkomikos lobby server had it
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

The problem is that even though the database might have unique IDs, its not "backed" by anything outside of the database, such as an email address or IRL name or something.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

That would be easy too
espylaub

Post by espylaub »

AF wrote:me and iamacup plan on integrating the server we setup into the account database for the ladder thus giving us numeric ID's that stay constant regardless of name changes......
Oh yes please :D
clericvash

Post by clericvash »

SwiftSpear wrote:It's actually really really common databasing practice to assign every entry a unique ID. I'm a bit surprised betalord didn't do it right away...
If you look at pretty much any database made by anyone who has sense you have the first field as a unique id number.

I can't beleive he won't implement it. It really isn't hard.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

clericvash wrote:
SwiftSpear wrote:It's actually really really common databasing practice to assign every entry a unique ID. I'm a bit surprised betalord didn't do it right away...
If you look at pretty much any database made by anyone who has sense you have the first field as a unique id number.

I can't beleive he won't implement it. It really isn't hard.
Woah, he never said he wouldn't implement it, he hasn't stated what he's going to do about it at this point, AFAIK he may already be working on it. It really isn't an incredibly easy change at this point though because he'd have to reID every already registered member, possible but somewhat complicated. Also the current system is fairly hardcoded to user name identities, I'm not sure how much modification would be needed to ease that up.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Dragon45 wrote:The problem is that even though the database might have unique IDs, its not "backed" by anything outside of the database, such as an email address or IRL name or something.
AF wrote:That would be easy too
How do you plan to set that up then?
Betalord
Former Engine Dev

Post by Betalord »

I actually did it, it was there at the beginning but then I removed it later because of "common databasing practice" as you say, which say you shouldn't have duplicate unique identifiers.
That was before it was possible to rename accounts, so the situation is different now and I was planning on adding additional identifier (I didn't consider it high priority though), not sure if ID, perhaps account name (plus nickname, which would be separate and changable).

Return to “Feature Requests”