Default Mod

Default Mod

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Which mod should be default for playing online?

XTA
7%
OTA
35%
XTA + Evolva models
11%
OTA + Evolva models
31%
AA
4%
Other mod, i posted the name of this mod
11%

Total votes: 54

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Default Mod

Post by NOiZE »

I think Spring needs a default mod otherwise the playerbase will be shattered to much...

my Vote goes to OTA

i think i listed most availible mods for Spring atm
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Uberhack 4.0, because it has interesting balance which is a nice change from standard OTA. It adds a few hand-picked units and doesn't change the build tree much. The main change is that anti-air units only fire against planes, which encourages other strategies than MT forests; Flash rushes are no longer the best strategy, etc.
Also it has a wonderful addon the Spider Pack by Silencer that would just be awesome to see in Spring. It adds spiders that have other weapons than paralysers.

AA is based off Uberhack but adds a whole bunch of units - it will take a long time before all these work well in Spring, and it's too far from original OTA gameplay to be the default mod.
SilentXeno

Post by SilentXeno »

I think it should be OTA... because I have never played with any of these mods...
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

OTA should be the base file. Maybe ship spring with a few mod once multiplayer mod synching has been fully coded, but even then, OTA should remain the base.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

We need a proper OTA first, with tweaks added accounting for the Spring engine. When the community makes that, it will be the default mod for Spring.
Frog

Post by Frog »

I disagree. There are quite a few people (if not most..) that are playing XTA online. And this isn´t only because they´re too lazy or don´t know how to get the OTA patch. It´s because they don´t want to play OTA !
If you let a complete newbie to TA play Spring, a few times OTA, and a few times XTA, which one do you think he´d go for ?

Look: I was one of the people saying there should be a purist TA mode (with no radar targeting, etc.), but this is Spring, not TA. Just because XTA is a new game to learn in some respects, is that a reason to say OTA should be standard ?
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

No, but XTA as it is is too.... different. OTA is something we all got used to, and if are to take it and conform it to the engine, it's only for the good, isn't it?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

OTA
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

OTA and I just thought of someone really neat. What if one could switch the unit packs in the battle room. Wouldn't that be ideal? No messing around outside spring or the battle room, just click or pull down a menu and you're ready to go. Or have the host force the units(if they are available).
Dakar

Post by Dakar »

Keep in mind that OTA has balancing problems, and XTA also has lots of flaws. For now, however, OTA should suffice, since more people are used to it.

The best thing, in my opinion, would be a community-developed mod that only perfectly balances OTA.
Longaxe

Post by Longaxe »

XTA is the standard so that├óÔé¼Ôäós what I am going to play├óÔé¼┬ª :roll:
WeaZ

Post by WeaZ »

ok XTA to me seems ridiculous I see why people like it but I think if anyone should be able to build all the labs it should only be the Commander I definitaly think he shouldbe able to build everything but I think it should be like this
The commander can only build things when its able to be built by another units I.E
cant build an adv kbot lab until u have built a kbot constructor
cant build a nuke until uve build a lvl 2 con...
do u see but I dont think a lvl 1 con should be able to build all the labs...

I got with EvoTA
I think we need the more 3d things involved with this being made this way
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

OTA with Evolva models. With such a sexy engine why not use upped poly models!?!
Ace07

Post by Ace07 »

chillaaa wrote:OTA with Evolva models. With such a sexy engine why not use upped poly models!?!
Agreed. I kind of would like to upgrade the models at some point, expecially since using models from the original TA could quickly produce legal trouble.

(BTW, are we using XTA models right now? or OTA models?)
HellToupee

Post by HellToupee »

OTA dont like how tech tree works in xta.
Tsumari

Post by Tsumari »

Uberhack or OTA. I don't click with resourcing and tech trees in XTA and AA is too far over the top, with cruisers that can destroy a whole base in a few seconds, etc.
SatiatedGakidou

Post by SatiatedGakidou »

Having played XTA in multiplayer and not fully understanding how different the balance was from OTA, I have to say that OTA is probably the best choice for a default mod. New players will probably come expecting the good old style TA play, and when they find out that two Goliath tanks can easily demolish their previously effective OTA-style bases they might be a bit put off. (XTA Goliaths are frightening things; it might have just been the lag, but I swear I saw one survive a D-Gun blast before killing me.) That said, hopefully soon there will be a good integrated mod switching and distribution system built in with Spring, so I don't think the choice of base mod will make too much of a difference beyond simply innitial impressions.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Frog wrote:I disagree. There are quite a few people (if not most..) that are playing XTA online. And this isn´t only because they´re too lazy or don´t know how to get the OTA patch. It´s because they don´t want to play OTA !
If you let a complete newbie to TA play Spring, a few times OTA, and a few times XTA, which one do you think he´d go for ?

Look: I was one of the people saying there should be a purist TA mode (with no radar targeting, etc.), but this is Spring, not TA. Just because XTA is a new game to learn in some respects, is that a reason to say OTA should be standard ?
they would go OTA.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

OTA.
mongus

xTA is the standard now

Post by mongus »

If i wished to play OTA.... well, i would install it. (good old cavedog ota).
This is a NEW game, this is Spring, so xTA is the new standard.

I have been playing ... since 1997 (yes, in multiplayer), so, i really know ota and its unbalances, dont wanna be there again. Those unbalances are the reason to many many mods out there (uh,xta,the pack..)
We should learn from our errors, and be proud of what we have created (wich in this case is any of such balance focused mods).

I'm new to xTA, NEVER played it b4 Spring. (no mutator.. heh.), but so far i think it rux, really.

Even if build tree in xTA allows commander to build lvl 2 factories, u couldnt build it one with initial resources (unless ur noob and put like 5k metal at begining). U can build one in early game, but u cant mass build the units from those labs, so it mostly adds rich variety and strategy to the game, and not unbalances. Even goliaths can be nerfed with some annihilators around (build them in late game :wink: ).

I could suggest another well balanced mod, but never tried UH much, and i guess enogh ppl have to know and play xTA already.

pd: i play ONLY xTA (ok one or two times with evolva units ONLY, and 1 time aa). And have been playing since day one with no unnecesary waits due to lack of players, so that comment nobody playing it is a lie.

Return to “General Discussion”