TexturesPack

TexturesPack

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

zorbawic

TexturesPack

Post by zorbawic »

As we already know the NMF will allow to acces different files, so i think its a good time to start collecting textures, leading to creation of approved (by most if not all mappers) texturespacks, which would be used in maps made afterwards. I dont think i have to explain how useful it would be.

If anybody finds anything interesting please post a link to it.

/me looks mainly at Forboding Angel
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

I can get the ball rolling :P
http://muf.222clan.com/textures/Textures.zip
More to come.
http://muf.222clan.com/textures/terrain_textures.zip
As far as I remember these textures should all be seemless, I emphasize "should" 8)
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

wtf broken links ?
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Sorry about that, try again.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

I got an idea....

post the links on the wiki, link to the wiki here...

anyone who compiles it to a larger pack, or whatever... or adds thumbnails whatever... more power to em...

:idea:

I'll even put my features up there, even the "in-progress" stuff....

maybe we can have a full "shared" FTP service...

(with permissions of course, to prevent malicious intent like uploading viruses..)
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Wasn't the main point to have a .sd7/.sdz file that is seperately distributed as texture pack?

Maybe it's good if people make collections of textures for metal maps, mars maps, green/rock maps, sand/rock maps.

Someone could put up an FTP/php thing where people can drop their textures for a particular category, and every now and then these are packed into *Textures.sd7 (MetalTextures.sd7, RockTextures.sd7,...), and put on the mirrors so users can download it.

Version handling could be done with the replacement system in the spring file system (ModInfo.tdf), that way new releases of the packs can be done without breaking maps that use the older packs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

uploading a 20 meg 7z of I believe all my textures, others may be scattered about, but that should be the bulk of them.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Jcnossen, I don't see the point given the current size of the test 3rd format maps, the gain would be neglible for the complexity, and therefore ability to stuff up, added. Or have I missed the point entirely?
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Maybe, but it might just be a factor 4 smaller.. (I like optimizing :) )
I guess we can start such a thing for single player campaigns when they are supported. A campaign on a particular type of world that has a single texture set for example. Or something...
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Thanks guys for all those textures, hopefully i can use them in the future!
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

I have another set of textures in .dds format, will get them uploaded soon as I can find space.

Download 75.2 mb
http://muf.222clan.com/textures/Ttvol_01.7z
These textures are in .dds format so you will need the dds plugin from ATI.----->>
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nv_t ... tools.html
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

as devs said here it will probably be best to use textures in dds format so im considering converting textures to that format
Gurkha

Post by Gurkha »

ok, not a pack, but here's a grass texture (you may like to scale it down before using it - it looks a bit big)
(note this is smaller and lower quality than the file I have on my computer - imageshack won't host full res/quality (because it's 8.6 MB, even as a png)

on a test map:

And this is a rock texture that I've not put into a map yet since I've only just finished it and I'm in linux, but it looks fine tiled:
(same quality dealy as with the grass)

If anyone wants them at full quality gimme a shout (and an email address), particularly if you can host them properly.

-Gurkha
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Those are fps textures not rts.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Das Bruce wrote:Those are fps textures not rts.
Clarify. With the texture splatting system those kind of textures are prefect.

[edit] ah, I guess I see, the textures are zoomed in to close. Still the rock texture doesn't look too bad, it could be usable for some things.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Same problem with some of mufdvr222's textures. They, atleast for me, seem to break any suspension of disbelief.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

SwiftSpear wrote:
Das Bruce wrote:Those are fps textures not rts.
Clarify. With the texture splatting system those kind of textures are prefect.

[edit] ah, I guess I see, the textures are zoomed in to close. Still the rock texture doesn't look too bad, it could be usable for some things.
Downsizing them until they look sharp will help this, but then you need more tiles and have more repeats. The bonus is that this will not hurt compression one bit though.

Return to “Map Creation”