Map: Battlefield Straya

All map release threads should be posted here

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

9 MB, 7zipped self-extracting EXE. Unzip to your TASpring\Maps directory.

Description: Now you can learn about world geography and blow up Australia at the same time!

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/ta-a ... e?download
smoth

Post by smoth »

you rock caydr!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Somehow it doesn't feel like a battleground, it really feels like a large map of australia carpet you'd walk on. It needs more relief I think. The green is too bright, it doesn't look right. Also, the texture has all the very tiny mountain range that a map of australia would show, but the heighmap doesn't reflect them. I guess it can't, since they're so tiny. The white fog prevent me to see australia in its entirety. The metals seem just like randomly applied round stains, totally unrelated to the texture map.

The idea is interesting, but currently it's more a straight pasting of an actual map of Australia than a real playable map for a game. I suggest that you just keep the overall contour and different zones of australia, but cover it with desert, moutain, rock etc.... to the scale of the commander. Like what was done on that very old large australia map for TA I can't find back a link to. Or like what James Beatty did on Epic Africa and Epic Europe.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

My original plan was for an ultra-detailed map complete with all those things you describe, but the size limitation means that basically the whole thing had to be dumbed down. The original heightmap had a lot of elevation but Spring interpreted these peaks and valleys as spikes and lakes.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

*drools*

I can't wait for Super Caydr maps...

Beautiful work man!

*edit*
Yeah, I played it, and I gotta say, kill the green light. Shadows were green, everything was green... It was...eerie... :shock:

I think it sucked all the G from my RGB pixels :D
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Right now, the only way to make a green map without trees appearing in obscene numbers is by adjusting the lighting so it's green... I'm hoping SYs will post a tutorial or something on how they've done their green maps without this problem.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Tricky use of terragen.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

After playing it online, I must say it plays fine. It's still flat and monotonous, but having the metal patches grouped make it interesting for it provokes the creation of area you want to keep and defend, and areas you don't care about. Maybe it's only me, but if you could add a few clues on the texture map as to where metal is I'd be happy. Doesn't have to reproduce exactly the metal patches, just some greyer zone, or lighter zone, or whatever.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Anyone else loaded it up and got purple instead of green? i did, i think i'll try it at home.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

It is purple, its just got a green sun, if it was just green then it would have been covered in trees.
SavageBT

Post by SavageBT »

Return to “Map Releases”