TA:WD - Page 36

TA:WD

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll of the week: Should NATO and Mospact be devided into seperate countries?

Poll ended at 14 Jul 2006, 20:26

Yes, let's have 20.000 different races and a million units!
7%
Yes, but only split the up in factions like US and Canada, UK and Germany, etc.
56%
No! the sides need to say Binary! keep as it is.
14%
No, just make seperate factories for Bombers, Fighters and Helicopters.
9%
Yes, give the player a choice what country to play in game.
14%

Total votes: 43

Muse

Post by Muse »

As I play more and more with this mod offline its becoming evident how useless mobile armor and aircraft become...NTAI and AAI really show how just a few planes and loads of infantry dominate.

Simply queing up 100 grenadiers and setting the factory to patrol to another corner of the map is devestating.

Also in another game I had about 10 bradleys rolling through a checkpoint with an enemy mining bunker and about 3 level-2 AT (ATGM?) that just pwned the entire convoy because they had longer sight range and could reload fast enough to destroy each bradley as it encountered the infantry.

If you DO make AT stronger make sure the reload times are synced up to be slower than a ground unit rolls so that at least ground units still have an advantage over infantry-armor encounters.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

What you need is scouts.
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

KDR_11k wrote:What you need is scouts.
quite so. ones on return fire only aswekll it ammuses me how often people forget that.

(nice avvy by the way)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

raikitsune wrote:(nice avvy by the way)
Thanks, it's a 3d model with celshading (well, just an outline, the shading is hand drawn) for some game idea I had. Unfortunately not doable in Spring.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I managed to make a fairly convincing nuclear explosion with a simulated mushroom cloud (which could be used for alot of big explosions too).

So I might have to include a unit that is capable of launching/dropping a nuke in the next version, got any idea of what type of unit this should be?

I was thinking either a type of fighter/bomber or a silo.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I'd say ground based mobile launcher with very restricted range (slightly more than artillery, perhaps even less), planes are too maneuvrable and silos would necessitate antinukes which don't exist in reality (at least not in a form that really works) and as such would be out of place in WD, never mind that silos really aren't deployed to the theatre of war. A ground-based ballistic missile launcher (SCUD with tactical nuclear warhead?) would probably fit best. If marine forces were implemented I'd say SSBNs but a ground based launcher vehicle might be more doable in short term.

Of course you could have the B52 or B2 offer a tacnuke loadout for a HIGH price...
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

I'd suggest a SS-21 SCARAB launcher. and maybe one of those old american cruise missile trucks both with considerable launch time. And yeh a nuclear capable F-16 and i'm not sure of the soviet nuclear capeable aircraft.
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

KDR_11k wrote:Of course you could have the B52 or B2 offer a tacnuke loadout for a HIGH price...
MOAB! although i don't think they actually have a mushroom cloud ;)

its just the largest non-nuclear weapon, is all... :twisted:

how about a choice? (with on/off)... on it uses the MOAB, off it uses the nuke... you could make the nuke cost more to fire, but have it also be stronger...
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think if both the MOAB and the nuke are in the NATO could use the MOAB while the Mospact uses plain ol' tactical nukes (which would be about equal in strength for balancing, maybe an Arm-Core like difference in power but not more).

EDIT: Hm, what about the Davy Crocket? Could be used as an infantry-carried heavy artillery weapon. Would require the unit to stand still for a few seconds before firing and would be slow moving either way.
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

esteroth12 wrote:
KDR_11k wrote:Of course you could have the B52 or B2 offer a tacnuke loadout for a HIGH price...
MOAB! although i don't think they actually have a mushroom cloud ;)

its just the largest non-nuclear weapon, is all... :twisted:

how about a choice? (with on/off)... on it uses the MOAB, off it uses the nuke... you could make the nuke cost more to fire, but have it also be stronger...
hrmmmm moad was only delivrable from a C-130 i thought :lol: oh and it does leave a mushroom cload i remember seeing a video of the after plume and its freekishly like a nuke.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

A special plane for the delivery of WMDs would be good IMO, it should be slow and easy to pick out so you can intercept the thing before the nukes come raining.

Hm, how about a decoy version of whatever is chosen as the nuke carrier? Use it to scare the enemy, use it to make the real one harder to pick out, etc.
esteroth12

Post by esteroth12 »

hrmmmm moad was only delivrable from a C-130 i thought :lol:
yeah
oh and it does leave a mushroom cload i remember seeing a video of the after plume and its freekishly like a nuke.
video footage of MOAB test

sue me, i never saw past the first 5 seconds, where there is no mushroom cloud :P
jerebaldo1

Post by jerebaldo1 »

So glad you're back in the game GZ. I'm highly anticipating the next release.
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

sue me, i never saw past the first 5 seconds, where there is no mushroom cloud :P

Crossed wired here i think. mushroom cloud to me is litterally the general shape not the rined domed nuclear cloud. i think thats where we got mixed up lol.[/quote]
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

MOAB is pretty much a no go since it would be pretty worthless, it would be a bit more powerful than a SMERCH I'd think.

I think i'd want nukes delivered by a B-52H firing a ALCM with a nuke, Mospact probably would have a TU-160 Blackjack or TU-95 Bear with a nuclear capable air launched cruise missile, otherwise there is the bomb option but that doesn't work reliably in Spring.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

You can set up a number of different nuclear launch units...

Silo Emplacements
Mobile Land Emplacements
Aircraft
Submarines

However, I would personally recommend Mobile Land Emplacements for the moment, as the addition to the Sea or the Air could make said area overly powerful in contrast to current mod balance.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

I was thinking of Nuclear Artillery like C&C Generals, I believe the M109 or M110 could launch a nuke, I don't know what Russia would have though.
Johns_Volition

Post by Johns_Volition »

I dont think its a smart idea to put a nuke in an artillery shell to be honest. How about a c130 that has to build the nukes in itself for an extreme price: good thing: no anti nukes necessary, if you let the bomber in your base, you're gone already. Also, I belive that if the nuke drops slow enough (parachutes anyone?) It leaves enough time for the plane to escape.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

2B1 Oka

Post by yuritch »

Russia could have the 2B1 Oka 420mm mortar. It was intended for firing nuclear rounds, range was 25 km (other sources say it was 45 km). Only thing is, it wasn't mass produced and the only remaining vehicle is in the museum. Development was started in 1955, 4 test units were produced in 1957, project was cancelled in 1960 (nuclear artillery was deemed ineffective compared to missiles).
More pictures of it:
http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV ... CT0547.jpg
http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV ... CT0548.jpg
http://www.thetankmaster.com/IMAGES/AFV ... CT0553.jpg
BTW, it's said that S-300 Air defence system could fire "special charges" (nuclear warheads could be installed on its missiles).
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

So any word on that updated version yet :)

OH also is it just me who can't watch any WD replays? its only with WD aswell i checked.

Return to “Game Development”