A suggestion for a more TA like interface... - Page 2

A suggestion for a more TA like interface...

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

zwzsg wrote:I don't see what possibilities would be lost, since having chosen a specific action before left click would still do that action and not selection.
A quick example:

With the present system: You select your unit. Then, left-click selects enemy unit and right-click sends default action (attack order) on enemy unit.

With the one button system: You select your unit. Next, all you have is still the left-click. When you left-click the enemy, will it select it or send the default-order?

I am prety much sure that you will get acustumed to the system as well as everyone else. After all, there is a reason almost every single RTS from a long time now, use the system Spring is using now.
SecurE

Post by SecurE »

First of I don't see how that example shows any loss of possibilities with a left-click interface and considering I like the old TA version it would obviously use the default command "attack" if you click on an enemy unit (I suppose you selected a combat unit at first)

While you can get used to it, I have always liked the left-click interface of TA best of all, I haven't found any advantages that has managed to change my mind in any RTS to this date.
HellToupee

Post by HellToupee »

im getting used to the new interface tho i cant see why having ota one as optional im sure it could be made to have same functionality eg shift click for special actions or something.

ALso with air transports when i slect a load and unload area ild like them to continue to make transport runs until all targets in load area are loaded, also the circle area select is a bit fidly ild much rather have a box like when you are selecting many units.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

SecurE wrote:First of I don't see how that example shows any loss of possibilities with a left-click interface ...
First, what people are asking is not just a left-click interface. More correctly is to call it a left-click-does-it-all-and-right-click-just-deselects.

I'll explain somewhat better why the actual system is better.

At the moment, left click selects and right click does the default action.
Changing it to the other system may seem not a big diference but it is.

For example, default action for units regarding friendly buildings/units is the guard. Pick you constructor and just right click on building. Pick you brawlers and just right click your commander... Pick your transport plane and just right click your target to load it.

And, if you instead want to select another unit, left click is right there for it.

With the other system you're stuck with: pick whatever and when you click the target, you select it. For the examples above, you would always have to specify the action (Guard button/'G').

Optionally, left-clicking would do the default action but then, everytime you wanted to select anything, you would probably want to deselect whatever you had selected.

How many times have i given a move order to an entire army when i was trying to select a unit and clicked in the wrong place? Tooo many!!!

If people still don't understand or still don't want the system... whatever.
zzymyn

Post by zzymyn »

I don't see the problem with implementing both and letting each player choose the style they want.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

It wouldn't bother to have to specify the action while left clicking on friendly units.
el_muchacho

Post by el_muchacho »

On the interface subject, I'd like to see the old "b" key meaning build and not "frame/second CPU usage", which should be moved as far as possible, to the keypad for example (maybe ".") as it doesn't belong to the gameplay.
zzymyn

Post by zzymyn »

Yeah, and ',' and '.' for moving left and right in menu's.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Seem to be a heavy discussion at the moment, so I have to flick in.

Left-click is superior. All orders are set with left button, all deselection is made with the right. As of now, to set patrol orders, you have to left click, to move, you have to rightclick, to build, you have to leftclick but if you rightclick the unit will break it's que and go there. Highly aggravating. There is no system and no simplicity in this, at least not to me, but while there are people that are heavily used to this, I would like a switch in the settings really really much.
How many times have i given a move order to an entire army when i was trying to select a unit and clicked in the wrong place? Tooo many!!!
1. In OTA you couldn't even select the enemy.
2. You can always deselect first or drag a box wih your mouse for selection (because that ain't an attack).

How many times have I broken que with the impossible building deselection is a better question.
mongus

Just like good old OTA

Post by mongus »

(this is a flame)

If u want Spring to be like good old ota, then:

Install Cavedogs TA
Go to options, interface, then change mouse interface button to Rigth.

VOILA now spring is just like good old OTA!!! ( bit better yet )

in other news.. if u have played warcraft3... well its just like it.. (again better, its TA Spring!)

Personaly im pretty sure the right button interface is FASTER (dunno if that is better).
Just give it a try!
I suggest stop hitting G, R, L, and just right click desired unit/building...

Edit
Switchable control setup would be the best.
I think right mbi is better tough.
Last edited by mongus on 04 May 2005, 17:47, edited 2 times in total.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Mongus, I hope you understand the concept of switchable controls that the majority here wants, like in OTA...
zzymyn

Post by zzymyn »

The best games/engines/programs allow a high-level of customization. The moveable/resizable minimap/build menu/resource bars in spring demonstrate this, so why not the mouse controls?
Tsumari

Post by Tsumari »

I like the controls. I also have no problem with someone else playing with a left click interface, but unless the SY team already has a left click interface on their to-do, I wouldn't want them to add that work due to this thread. There are other more important things to spend their resources on. Maybe someone knows a programmer who can hop in and make the suggested interface an option, minimizing the SY workload.

Tsumari
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

PauloMorfeo wrote: First, what people are asking is not just a left-click interface. More correctly is to call it a left-click-does-it-all-and-right-click-just-deselects.
Isn't it that we now have a right click does all except select and drag lines interface?
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

What does it use for mouse input? Couldn't you just find all the relevent references to mouse_button_one and mouse_button_two or whatever they're called and swap them?

Return to “General Discussion”