Fuck, FU exeeded again...

Various things about Spring that do not fit in any of the other forums listed below, including forum rules.

Moderator: Moderators

Storm

Post by Storm »

This time it is solely our fault for not outsourcing vital parts quickly enough and for that, I apologise. I hope the necessary changes have been made to keep lobby map downloads streaming from a mirror, but it is a pity that we suffer this end even so, earlier than last time, despite everything we've done.

Remember to click the ads when FU returns.
Dr.InfernO

Post by Dr.InfernO »

I really want to mirror files. If someone could give FU FTP access and a posibility to keep those files actually on the mirror it would be great.
Thor
NOTA Developer

Post by Thor »

Couldn't we have it so that you download the maps from the host rather than fileuniverse. That would probably cut down on a lot of the bandwidth.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Everyone keeps asking for that despite the fact that it would be a lot of work to implement bit torrent style traffic in the lobby.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Thor wrote:Couldn't we have it so that you download the maps from the host rather than fileuniverse. That would probably cut down on a lot of the bandwidth.
Consider the upload bandwidth of the average Spring host. Now divide that between 6 people downloading a 20MB map.

I hope you have something planned for the hour you're going to have to wait for the game to start!
Johns_Volition

Post by Johns_Volition »

as if it wouldn't take that long anyway :roll:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Felix the Cat wrote:
Thor wrote:Couldn't we have it so that you download the maps from the host rather than fileuniverse. That would probably cut down on a lot of the bandwidth.
Consider the upload bandwidth of the average Spring host. Now divide that between 6 people downloading a 20MB map.

I hope you have something planned for the hour you're going to have to wait for the game to start!
Allow the host to stream 1 upload if they choose to, the rest can be done via hosting net.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

It's moot anyways since we have two (three?) map mirrors.
Storm

Post by Storm »

Seems to be back for no apparent reason...
iamacup

Post by iamacup »

This time it is solely our fault for not outsourcing vital parts quickly enough
indeed :P

once again TB of my bandwidth go unused.......
LOrDo

Post by LOrDo »

Storm wrote:Seems to be back for no apparent reason...
I was surprised to...not even the end of the month yet.
Johns_Volition

Post by Johns_Volition »

maybe it had something to do with the powersurges thanks to a little stormy weather in the NE?
Neuralize

Post by Neuralize »

This is why we need to get the ball rolling on the new map format and phase out the current one, because map sizes will be cut vastly, thus FU won't crap it's pants.

Yes, I know you guys spent a long time on your maps, so did I. We're all doing this for fun anyway, so we might as well make it easier on our patrons if we have the possibility of doing so..
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Neuralize wrote:This is why we need to get the ball rolling on the new map format and phase out the current one, because map sizes will be cut vastly, thus FU won't crap it's pants.

Yes, I know you guys spent a long time on your maps, so did I. We're all doing this for fun anyway, so we might as well make it easier on our patrons if we have the possibility of doing so..
Gnome doesn't want to continue hosting because of financial reasons, new map format or no. Apparently the devs are working on a hosting solution of their own though.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Its Nexus that hosts FU, not Gnome, but yes hosting is stopping for Spring cause we hog all the bandwidth and he cant support us no more. Yes, devs are working on the solution, stop poking me so much... I will get it done soon. Exams just suck ass.
Storm

Post by Storm »

As it looks now, FU will host the central database over all spring maps and new maps will be uploaded directly to mirrors. Already now you can download our entire database through IaMaCup's servers.

Return to “General Discussion”