BAR atlas

BAR atlas

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

BAR atlas

Post by Karl »

Eh, I'm sorry if I posted on the wrong topic because I don't know where I should post it, anyway.

I'm aware that the BAR Texture Atlases are CC-BY-ND, but I am allowed to take those shapes and only those shapes and completely repaint them? The reason is because I would like to make my own Texture Atlas set.
Beherith

Re: BAR atlas

Post by Beherith »

The ARM atlas is Cremuss's work, with the exception of some minor addition's by KaiserJ. Thus you are free to use any of Cremuss's bits as per his license.
The Core atlas is under CC-BY-ND, but I dont think that using it as a drawing template for just the shapes is an issue. It has a very sensible and usable layout, the only thing I would add in retrospect is some more (N>8) sided regular polygons, and a lot more trapezoidal shapes with various aspect ratios. Also, start with at least 2k by 2k size, its a good thing to have empty space to add custom items later on.

EDIT:
I remembered missing one thing from it though, various linear and radial gradients were always in short supply, especially for texturing tiny faces that dont need detail, just a general color/fake lighting with the gradient.

Also, here are the two heatmaps which show which parts of the atlases were the most popular:

Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Alright cool, thanks man. It was also because doing all the shapes was a bit time consuming for me and I prefer doing straight with the painting,
doing all the UV-mapping is by itself time-consuming enough already.

Yeah the new Atlas I am working on is already 2048x2048 which should be pretty sufficient. Which anyway equals to 4 units with 512x512 texture size, with the added benefit that I can change the model anytime I want.

On KaiserJ Atlas a whole segment is also decided just for having the shame shapes/textures in team-color format. In my opinion I prefer having larger variety of texture styles instead.
Beherith wrote: Also, start with at least 2k by 2k size, its a good thing to have empty space to add custom items later on.
Good thinking.
The obvious drawback to using a Texture Atlas that it is not that easily extendable because the UV-mapping saves the Texture Size aspect ratio or so. Oh well.
Beherith wrote: EDIT:
I remembered missing one thing from it though, various linear and radial gradients were always in short supply, especially for texturing tiny faces that dont need detail, just a general color/fake lighting with the gradient.
Interesting... I keep that in mind, yeah it makes not much sense to use one of the large shape for a relative small polygon. Since even close zooming it is almost impossible to see all the details.
Beherith wrote: EDIT:
It has a very sensible and usable layout, the only thing I would add in retrospect is some more (N>8) sided regular polygons, and a lot more trapezoidal shapes with various aspect ratios.
Alright I keep that in mind as well.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I highly recommend having almost everything in a teamcolor format too. Atlas space is practically free.
Resizing is difficult, but not impossible, my obj2s3o converter allows linear tranformation of UV space.
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Beherith wrote:
Resizing is difficult, but not impossible, my obj2s3o converter allows linear tranformation of UV space.
I'm afraid the obj2s3o wouldn't be a use for me at all since I use the dae format already due to Assimp support.
Beherith wrote:I highly recommend having almost everything in a teamcolor format too
I will see what I can do about it.
Beherith wrote:Atlas space is practically free.
As in resolution size?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

As in resolution size?
Yes.

What application are you planning to use for UV mapping?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Blender, the UV-mapping stuff is better then Wings3D in my opinion.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”