Status on BAR + repo links - Page 3

Status on BAR + repo links

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Status on BAR + repo links

Post by Forboding Angel »

Beherith wrote:Forb, could you please remove that link to the svn tarball? It presents broken missions and load features, not indicative of the project's status. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but anyone who wishes to test can download it from the lobby.
Done.

The thing is that most of BA people won't understand how to deal with anything but an sd7/sdz. This is evidenced by all the comments here asking where it is.

Therefore, the last change made to the svn was 3 weeks ago. This suggest to me that it's in at least a usable state (and it is as far as I can tell). Is there a multi server up for it or do people have to "find" it on rapid (ensuring that it will never happen basically).

Also behe, y you no github? I don't know if any of the assets still in BAR are from OTA. I had assumed not, but I didn't look.

Regardless, you guys have done an awesome job, it looks great.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Honestly, the repo/SVN has been working just fine for the small group that's been working on it so far. Still, I wouldn't mind using github merely for the fact of one less account/site to keep track of but I'm pretty sure Mr.Bobs models, and probably more, are the reason it is where it is.

As far as playing it, last time I checked you could find BAR in the lobby and join/download the game from there, but it has been awhile so I could be wrong.

PS I'm glad you like the soundtrack :mrgreen: I probably put as much time into picking it as I did actually coding :P
prandipadaro

Post by prandipadaro »

Beherith wrote:It presents broken missions and load features.
how can i test mission?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

how can i test mission?
Currently, you can't. The beta release will include a few missions, you'll have to wait until then.
scifi

Post by scifi »

jamerlan wrote:
very_bad_soldier wrote:Or do you just enjoy maintaining BA so much now? :)
nah, I am maintaining BA only because I love it! Maybe you are applying sarcasm here.. I am not sure :-D

And I like BA models more then models from BAR:
1) I feel sick from spinning in diff directions at things
2) Take a look at fido and maverick in BA and BAR. For me BA - is better :-)
Ahm what?? if the stats and gameplay are equal and the true only difference between BA and BAR are the graphics i would almost pose the question if BA or BAR should be a mod option rather than a complete different game.

But anyways i guess i can play it or "TEST IT" if i want? and even if i wanna setup autohosts for the game i can do it, but aparently the regular people that play BA and host games dont wanna do it yet?, and that is why they havent switched already?? O_o

Forgive me but this is a bit confusing, is this a mod a game or a glorified mod option? Should it even be in this forum then?

Anyways the "thing" your developing looks great :wink:, whatever that might be.
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

scifi wrote:Ahm what?? if the stats and gameplay are equal and the true only difference between BA and BAR are the graphics i would almost pose the question if BA or BAR should be a mod option rather than a complete different game.
All girls are equal - only "models" are different. So go replace your girlfriend with random girl from the street.
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

jamerlan wrote:
scifi wrote:Ahm what?? if the stats and gameplay are equal and the true only difference between BA and BAR are the graphics i would almost pose the question if BA or BAR should be a mod option rather than a complete different game.
All girls are equal - only "models" are different. So go replace your girlfriend with random girl from the street.
I like analogies, they're a nice mental tool (and with a single "R" it becomes "anal orgies"). But your comparison eludes me - you might have made your point a bit too obfuscated?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

question if ... BAR should be a mod option
It would be absolutely unfeasible to create/maintain, there are too many differences.
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

jamerlan wrote:
Well, if she is really exactly the same but better looking then... :mrgreen:
8611z

Post by 8611z »

scifi wrote:=P, we just want to get our hands on it.

Well to be honest we can host games, but the thing that i wanted to know is when is the regular BA being replaced by BAR so that we can truly start playing it :wink:

And pls dont tell me its up for the auto host owners to decide when to convert, and that they could have already converted to the repository BAR version :mrgreen:
That seems excactly the situation.
Anyone can play (try) BAR today. There even is an autohost since long time already.
Join BAR-host, lobby downloads stuff, play. Excactly the same as when playing normal BA, there is no search for hidden files or using strange tools or whatever.
If the game is good enough is for players to decide.

It really is up to the autohost owners -and of course players- what and how they want to play. Plus the usual groupdynamics, the most valuable asset of a game is its playerbase and not the models or scripts.
Realistically if a game was released or not has never mattered much. Did it matter for Imperial Winter mod, if the game was "closed beta", "open beta" or "released to public"? Or zeroK where there was "stable" and "test" versions, but in practice dynamics were that everyone played the "test" version anyway.
The release is only some postings in forum where devs tell players that game is now in a state worth trying out. Not sure how nowadays an average players would even learn about an BAR release. Word of mouth or randomly noticing filled autohost probally.
jamerlan wrote:I guess BAR will not replace BA. At least I hope so :-D I think that they both should exist as a different games
Games used to die when their development stopped because newer engine versions would eventually break them.
Since there is multi-engine-support in lobbies that is not a problem anymore. From technical side I see no reason why BA would disappear.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Ok, i just find it strange.

I was playing Planetary annihilation the other day and found some people waiting for BAR to be released, like they think you cant play it at all.
I also bet a lot of people that play BA currently are also waiting for BAR's release but dont know they can already get their hands on it or maybe they do and just dont care anymore(a possiblity sure, its graphics and UI afterall).

Personaly i always knew i could play it, but i somehow felt it wouldn't be allowed by the people developing the game to start hosting games of something they think isnt finished yet.

But now that i know that its allowed i might try to get some games rolling.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

A release is an assurance from developers that something is ready for XYZ - the absence of a release suggests it isn't, yet.

In BARs case, you are more than welcome to test what does already exist & please report bugs to the forum/repo.
xyz

Post by xyz »

Silentwings wrote:A release is an assurance from developers that something is ready for XYZ
Wait what? What needs to be ready for me?

P.S.: Sorry for the spam but I couldn't help it :)
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

are you guys quietly doing an Imperial Winter up in here?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Shoo vulture
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Beherith wrote:Shoo vulture
"Vulture"? Why vulture? Why not fly? Curious because that seems oddly specific.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Vultures have (at least in popular culture) a habit of circling above dying animals.
So "Shoo vulture" means: "We ain't dead yet".
smoth

Post by smoth »

Beherith wrote:Shoo vulture
This makes me happy.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

So what's left for BAR development?
MerC

Post by MerC »

Hey, I was wondering, what is the status of BAR? When it is finished will it go on steam and have a proper releases with a built in lobby and a map set?

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”