Status on BAR + repo links - Page 5

Status on BAR + repo links

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

The Yak

Re: Status on BAR + repo links

Post by The Yak »

Zero-K has all it's art files on github as well.

Not to mention the big Nobiax pack I uploaded: https://github.com/The-Yak/NobiaxTexturePack

I looked through the BAR trunk briefly and couldn't find a single file that would be too large for github.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

A git repository contains an uncompressed copy of every*** version of every file (if you do not realize this matters, you have not read githubs instructions carefully). Applying to the BAR repositories takes them over the limits. Github is not strict about actually enforcing their stated limits, in practice - so perhaps the idea is not completely dead.

*** edit: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=33563&p=581641#p581641

I find it bizarre that people find the location of the repository so interesting, and assume it's some sort of religious behaviour.

complete bull ... I am curious ... looked through the BAR trunk briefly ... would you consider moving ...
I guess one more repetition of: I don't own the licenses, there is a ND clause -> I am the wrong person to ask.

I think I've had enough of this endless merry go round of idle curiosity - I have no further interest in answering questions on BAR, ever. Happy speculating.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

BAR is actually a game created Virus, that eats calculators and infects IOT devices.
BARF can not melt steel beams
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

That explanation rings very hollow. This sounds like more excuse and less explanation. There isn't anything about the BAR repo that makes it special compared to other projects.
Floris

Post by Floris »

(@BA - if you would prefer to see BAR threads moved out of your forum, simply let me & the admins know via pm.)
Since the BA in BAR still stands for Balanced Annihilation its still hard to distance our self enough from it. It's part of our history. Its up to the BAR devs to distance themselves in name (and subforum). I think it should get a different name, because its goal became something else.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Silentwings wrote:A git repository contains an uncompressed copy of every version of every file (if you do not realize this matters, you have not read githubs instructions carefully). Applying to the BAR repositories takes them well over the limits. Github is not strict about actually enforcing their stated limits, in practice - so perhaps the idea is not completely dead.
Thats wrong. git compresses VERY well and even deduplicates data. Only the files of the current checked out version are uncompressed and checked out files are optional.
Silentwings wrote: I find it bizarre that people find the location of the repository so interesting, and assume it's some sort of religious behaviour.
You didn't understand the benefit of having a common platform: its so easy for foreign people to create patches, fix typos. Most people have already a github account, so they usually can directly edit a file and send a pull request.

Just compare the workflows of as it currently is and how it could be on common platform (github/gitlab/...) then i'm pretty sure you'll come to the conclusion that for most OS/spare-time projects its best to host the code repository on the common platform.

I suggest to use git for a while.

also FYI:
$ git svn clone http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/svn/branches/BAR/
[...]
$ du -hs BAR
1,1G BAR
du -hs BAR/.git/
539M
-> the git repository of BAR would have the size of ~540MB. IDK what github takes into account for calculating the size of a repository, if its checked out files + git files or only the git repository.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Only the files of the current checked out version are uncompressed
Oh - you are correct about this; edited my post.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

*grunts of frustration* Great, just what this project needs, more waiting....
gajop

Post by gajop »

@Git size discussion:
Additionally it's possible to delete files from history if you're sure you won't need them again (e.g. you moved them to a different repository and don't plan on readding them). I wouldn't recommend this unless you really need to drastically reduce space.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

The "maybe" github upload problem is a phantom discussion. If it'd be decided to host it there, someone could simply try, possibly fail, then contact the github crew and discuss with them. No need to discuss this here - this is not a real problem to be concerned / talked about. If there were a dev, (s)he would have a wish for a VCS and everyone would follow, because what is missing is a dev, not a VCS.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

BTW: I also want to suggest something: Don' get distracted and slowed down by bureaucracy.

Someone could "adopt" the project as an "in-between-owner". This someone could upload it to github/bitbuket/whatever and write in big letters "searching for a lead dev". That's not uncommon practice at all!

Someone's job would be to merge the occasional PR and redirect questions to the forums. The project would have more visibility and the code more accessibility. It wouldn't look all dead and hopefully attract new dev(s).

Prior tasks: The name must be changed and it must be made sure all traces of BA are removed.

The changing of the name must not be a big deal. It would have to be understood (and written down) that it is only a working title! Also not an uncommon practice :) The "final name problem" can be tackled, when it's ripe for release.
gajop

Post by gajop »

While a core dev is indeed missing, I still think the choice of VCS/VCS platform matters. Github makes contributing easy. I don't know how anyone is supposed to contribute to BAR atm, outside of sending patch diffs via email?

So to be practical, if Silentwings, Beherith, etc. don't mind I'd like to put BAR on Github (under BAR/BAR) this weekend, and see how it goes from there. I will gladly relinquish ownership rights to any of the previous devs. Renaming can always be done later, it's certainly not something I feel like doing now.

Thoughts?

PS: My assumption is that current SVN development is completely dead. I'm not interested in maintaining a Github clone of the project nor do I want to forcefully move current development somewhere else.

EDIT: Think I'll just wait to see what Beherith thinks about this before doing anything.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote:While a core dev is indeed missing, I still think the choice of VCS/VCS platform matters. Github makes contributing easy. I don't know how anyone is supposed to contribute to BAR atm, outside of sending patch diffs via email?

So to be practical, if Silentwings, Beherith, etc. don't mind I'd like to put BAR on Github (under BAR/BAR) this weekend, and see how it goes from there. I will gladly relinquish ownership rights to any of the previous devs. Renaming can always be done later, it's certainly not something I feel like doing now.

Thoughts?

PS: My assumption is that current SVN development is completely dead. I'm not interested in maintaining a Github clone of the project nor do I want to forcefully move current development somewhere else.

EDIT: Think I'll just wait to see what Beherith thinks about this before doing anything.
I second this notation, it's easier to keep track of the changes being made compare to SVN.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Just here to second the notion that BAR would have more awareness on Github. It's the biggest open-source VCS platform and I visit it regularly and stumble upon other projects, purely because of the fact they're on Github, as I suspect many people do.

As I haven't been following BAR, what would be the issues if you were to release it as-is right now? I hear it still uses the OTA sounds. I'm assuming all the unit/faction names are still the same - would that be a legal problem? Are all the models/textures finished? What about an installer/lobby integration? Again, I haven't been keeping up with the Spring scene, but when I left I remember somebody was working on an integrated game lobby. Obviously it'd be a bit of a shame to release with a fractured lobby/game and forcing people down the usual route of installing the engine, then a lobby, then the games and maps all independently, which would likely cost a lot of potential regular players after they're put-off by the whole experience.

What about Steam early-access? I have no idea about how that platform is for devs, but I've been playing a bunch of those games recently, all found through Steam itself. I imagine bad community reviews on a game would completely kill it, along with any chance of it ever redeeming itself. Not to mention refunds available before 2 hours of play are used up. It really is a player-friendly platform, but I imagine it's less-so for devs?

I realise most projects here are born from inspired devs who simply enjoy having their own project to work on, and a lot of the games here never get out the door, but it would be a massive shame to see all these games slowly wither and die because nobody wants to do the gritty work required to allow an honest, legal release on a big platform such as Steam.

I think moving to Github would be one step in the right direction towards increasing dev-interest in BAR.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

!status
gajop

Post by gajop »

Super Mario wrote:!status
As far as I'm concerned, essentially nothing happens until Beherith comes back (if he ever does?) and we hear from him directly.
Not my project, so I don't feel causing random drama. I suggest you contact him directly instead of asking in this thread if you want something to happen.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Locking my own thread - future requests on the status of BAR do not go via me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ ... u.be&t=139
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

sorry for ignoring the locked, but its IMHO important:

viewtopic.php?f=44&p=583079 (license of BAR seems to have changed by beherit)

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”