Status on BAR + repo links - Page 2

Status on BAR + repo links

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

Funkencool

Re: Status on BAR #2

Post by Funkencool »

Sorry I haven't really been around to help, especially since I was probably the cause of quite a few of the icon/ui issues :wink: ; a series of fortunate events has kept me away from any hobby work for longer than I'd hoped. It's awesome to see you making progress with it though. If anyone has some questions about any of my messy code or methods I could at the very least try find some time to answer them.

It looks like you managed to get the icons together which is cool. Just thought I'd mention when I did them I was just pulling the models/units into a game/engine combo I dedicated to working with the gadget, which automatically ran when spring started; it was essentially just an app for generating Icons. I always meant to clean up and fix the gadget to commit it cause my fixes and process were pretty hacky, but it never happened :regret:
I haven't read any threads in the repo or been in game so sorry if this is in there, but did you manage to find a smooth process?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Your code was good - I actually learnt Chili mostly from reading it. Also take a look at the UI now ;)

We didn't find a good solution to the icon generation - with the current Spring we could only make the gadget generate one icon at a time (or Spring 100.0 just hung), so we used a very hacky script that used the gadget from the repo, did one icon every few minutes and took Behe hours to run. If you/Behe could figure out how to comine your two methods that would be awesome; I guess other games in the future will be glad of it.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

I dont mind that it takes overnight to generate, as long as it works.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can do it as well, I have 4 pcs here at the house, just let me know!
smoth

Post by smoth »

BOOP! How's it goin?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Well enough for a screenshot!
See http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balatest/report/2 for the technical stuff.
Attachments
screen00571.png
(3.13 MiB) Not downloaded yet
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

Can you please rename the topic title to remind people this is where the repo / issue tracker location is posted?
Silentwings

Re: Status on BAR + repo links

Post by Silentwings »

Done.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Hey guys so how is BAR coming along, what are the main problems or things to solve for it being release worthy?

I have looked at this

http://imolarpg.dyndns.org/trac/balatest/report/2
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I've done everything I plan to do for the beta release, afaik its just waiting for behe to find time to finish some minor bits and pieces. I don't know (or at least, can't remember) any more detail than that.

Probably the next time I get any work done on it will be Christmas, at which point I plan on putting all the missions together into a campaign/tutorial/etc, including the 3 example missions that will be in the beta release.
scifi

Post by scifi »

Release :S???

"awaits for that LOS view darkens minimap too much" to be ignored :mrgreen:
prandipadaro

Post by prandipadaro »

someone is working on artificial intelligence adapts to work with BAR?
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I dont always spend 3 years of my spare time making the art resources for an old game remake, but when I do, I finish 95% of the work and then never release it.
scifi

Post by scifi »

=P, we just want to get our hands on it.

Well to be honest we can host games, but the thing that i wanted to know is when is the regular BA being replaced by BAR so that we can truly start playing it :wink:

And pls dont tell me its up for the auto host owners to decide when to convert, and that they could have already converted to the repository BAR version :mrgreen:
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

scifi wrote:Well to be honest we can host games, but the thing that i wanted to know is when is the regular BA being replaced by BAR so that we can truly start playing it :wink:
I guess BAR will not replace BA. At least I hope so :-D I think that they both should exist as a different games
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

Why not? I thought BAR was BA just with better GFX? Why maintain the same game twice one with bad GFX and one with good GFX? If you split the playerbase then both will probably die.
Or do you just enjoy maintaining BA so much now? :)
jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan »

very_bad_soldier wrote:Or do you just enjoy maintaining BA so much now? :)
nah, I am maintaining BA only because I love it! Maybe you are applying sarcasm here.. I am not sure :-D

And I like BA models more then models from BAR:
1) I feel sick from spinning in diff directions at things
2) Take a look at fido and maverick in BA and BAR. For me BA - is better :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Ok so proper BAR this time:
edit: removed

Straight up svn clone, nothing done to make it more user friendly in the mod selection screen, just a zip of 4659 so that people can see it and check it out (therefore, it is not a derivative).

It's extremely nice. The los colors are crappy, but the ui is really nice and clean. The music fits it extremely nicely and it looks fantastic. You guys have done a great job.

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Forb, could you please remove that link to the svn tarball? It presents broken missions and load features, not indicative of the project's status. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but anyone who wishes to test can download it from the lobby.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Forboding Angel wrote:Straight up svn clone, nothing done to make it more user friendly in the mod selection screen, just a zip of 4659 so that people can see it and check it out (therefore, it is not a derivative).
I'm not sure why you insist on uploading it? There's a bar:test on rapid, no need to do this manually.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”