[BAR] New Name, new logo writing?

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

Had those ideas while thinking about evil robots. What do you think?

Attachments
Beyond all Reason Schriftzug 2.jpg
(276.74 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Beyond all Reason Schriftzug 1.jpg
(271.21 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
Last edited by Sereiya on 06 Sep 2014, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
Beherith

Re: [BAR] New Name, new logo writing?

Post by Beherith »

I very much like the top one!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yeah, top style is nice.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It is pointless to state that with a "logo"

This is just pretty font on a name. This isn't a logo.

These are logos:

Text is not something you can brand.

Logos can have different treatments
EX: the gundam rts logo was an orange square with white text with the font gunplay and a gold bars
However, I also could do things like the following where it is part of an image and just the white text and gold bars are there

Spring's logo has many treatments as well:
Spring logo spec

You need to do more than just text on an image. It has to speak to your brand. Gundam was a simple logo meant to reflect the minimalistic and straight forward nature of the UC timeline.

BAR needs to NOT mention balanced annihilation. Nor does it need to have any mention of the spring project. Spring is an engine anyway, so maybe something like using the Spring Engine. However that violates spring's image. There are other things out there that use spring like the spring framework for java. Which is also a SPRING PROJECT. maybe if you had a bar page you could put the spring logo on the bottom right corner in the following form:
that way people know the logo belongs to the spring engine and ideally you would have that image lead to this site.

Say for example picasso's logo.
He liked this font but he really wanted that funny N shaped symbol to be a part of his logo. So when you see the journey war project. In the future he could just put that symbol in a circle and that would be an icon for his game. it could be the brand. Without it, the text was just text with a fancy glow behind it. The logo needs a central aspect. Nvidia uses that wierd eye swirl. gundam used the text with gold bars and the stencil like letters. Zerok has it's eclipse with the moon being it's icon and often integrated into the O of zero-k. Spring has it's sunrise.

BAR needs an iconic image integrated with it's text. Just making a pretty name treatment with no font name, color guidelines etc is not a logo.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's true that "logo" isn't the right term for this and that a logo, as you point out, is independently needed (and it could be integrated) - this is a candidate for a signature on the splash screens.
BAR needs to NOT mention balanced annihilation. Nor does it need to have any mention of the spring project.
We'll deliberately mention both, at least initially on the splash screens. I think its good to advertise that BA/BAR has a long history, and also that there is a wider Spring community. I genuinely dislike when games use Spring underneath without clearly advertising it.
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

O-o-ohkay, please don't bite my head off. Image I couldn't find out a more accurate translation for what I meant. Those writings weren't intended to be more than a writing on loadpages, wallpapers, websites or something...

Perhaps I'll do a real logo later...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Why not including the logo on the bottom right. You know, like games that show the unreal engine logo on the bottom half. The image + text is a pretty prominent display rather than an odd small mention. By using the spring logo you have given people something they see over and over again, then come here, see the logo and are like, hey this is the right place.

Sereiya, I am sorry, I didn't mean to come off harsh. I was only trying to help you with information from my own experience. I cannot really do much beyond that to help. I cannot seem to post without coming off as if I am angry or dismissive. So sorry about that.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Derailed text, cannot delete.
Last edited by Jools on 04 Sep 2014, 23:43, edited 2 times in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:
smoth wrote:It is pointless to state that with a "logo"

This is just pretty font on a name. This isn't a logo.
The philosophical discussion about what a logo is was not split, but instead the language part was.
Please do not derail the actual productive discussion with meta discussion about your sour grapes.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

I'm a fan of the first one as well.
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

I made a first version of a possible logo and tried to combine it with the writing. I'm quite waving if I should change something or not...
Let me know what you think. :)

Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It does look good, but my feeling is that it has a bit too much detail in it to be memorable as a logo, or to be easily woven into text (although it looks fine sitting next to text, just a bit cluttered when its behind, as you probably realized when you made "all" red :p).
smoth

Post by smoth »

red is a bad idea because it is an area of focus. you have foreground colors, your reds and background colors your blues. You also can use the bar stuff to try and get some kind of colors so your red aura around the pewee would probably need to go. also the the white lines need to go. leaving the color for the font which is in the foreground. The logo would probably need to be simplified. I would brainstorm with behe or other guys on the desired unit as the new peewee doesn't look like that:

One thing you could do is sample each faction and do a half and half yenyang kind of thing being that these factions are from opposite philosophies and use a central color for core and a central color for arm.
I chose red and yellow based on the lights but that is BAD because colorblind people exist and have become an very loud minority. So in all color usage never do something like yellow = 1,1,0 and red = 1,0,0 because colorblind. Mix it up. Use a gold instead of yellow.

There are better ways to do this but I am in a hurry and wanted to just get a basic example. I think for the icon, you need to find something that could be a solid color. 3 colors max. A gradient is nice if you want to look like a spring(tm) product.. you know like how for a long time all the iphone products use the same icon style? But I don't think that you want this.

reducing the amount of colors can make the icon pop.
Image VS Image

There is nothing wrong with shadows as far as icons go
Image if the icon is simple enough
Here we have the icon is prominently displayed and the title is done in a similar illustrated style. It matches the in game art style.

Supreme commander is another fun example:
The logo always includes the wings.
I always liked how they integrated the FA into the wings.
I would look at making the font appear 3d

Make it lower in contrast add a gradient and ONLY the highlight portion of a HARD bevel. Make the font grey. we are dealing with giant metal robots after all.
by going with a grey instead of black your logo can now more readily be placed on top of images. By adding a black edge around only certain parts and connecting it to the letters, you create a 3d effect. I had to use heavy photoshoping of your image so I resized it to fight the heavy compression you used. Always PNG for this sort of stuff. I don't know the font you used but it would be good to pick a free font or one that you have a professional license for otherwise bar could be in trouble down the road..

So I dunno if this helps or not but yah.
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

I'm already talking with Beherith about what unit mesh I could use instead of the old peewee, so I'll change that later.
I just used JPG so the images won't be so big, would be quite impractical to use in forums. Wanted to post the .psd and a .png file later.
Colors for ARM and CORE originally where blue and red, I'd love to keep it this way.

About the writing, I wanted to make a "less fancy" one, so I didn't worked much with gradients, lights etc. and made most of the letters black with a white outline. I made a compareable one with and without a decent texture, but I think it looks a bit too fancy now.

edit: (oups, link was broken a while)
I included the writing (with the texture) in a picture, just as an example how it would look in its natural habitat. It looks awesome. (I hope the text on the left bottom is correct)

Attachments
Beyond all Reason Schriftzug 1.5wo_t.png
Writing without texture, 5000x1080px
(137.72 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Beyond all Reason Schriftzug 1.5.png
Writing with texture, 5000x1080px
(469.37 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Last edited by Sereiya on 07 Sep 2014, 02:58, edited 3 times in total.
PepeAmpere

Post by PepeAmpere »

Is this some troll-thread? :lol:

Misdemeanor 1

Please keep it relevant and constructive.

- FLOZi
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Why "the spring project"? Shouldn't it be "the spring engine"?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Sereiya has presumably copied that because that's what has been on the BA logos since time immemorial. To ask why it says "project" instead of "engine", you'd first need to discover who made the logo, years ago...
smoth

Post by smoth »

I'd still use the official logo treatment
Sereiya

Post by Sereiya »

If I remember correctly someone said to me I should use it this way several months ago, so I just did it. Shall it get changed?
smoth

Post by smoth »

It's up to you. I would stay with the official logo. Consistency is a big deal.

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”