BAR + Chili WIP - Page 2

BAR + Chili WIP

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

albator

Re: BAR + Chili WIP

Post by albator »

Funkencool wrote:
albator wrote: It is mandatory, clicking arrow to browse your option is action_per_minute killer.
There are no arrows...
Arrow, icons, whatever, you get my point, if you did not, let me know
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

albator wrote: Arrow, icons, whatever, you get my point, if you did not, let me know
I got it.

For my menu I'll have three options:
1.Most obvious, Click the the tab of the option you want.. if it didn't default to it
2.(needs to be enabled) Move the mouse over the tab you want, on your way to the command.. that is without any clicking
3.When the cursor is over the default command window (in most cases econ), you can simply mousewheel up to get to orders or mousewheel down to get to strat and units (if there are any). Scrolling will loop through them and current tab is highlighted to let you know which one you're in.

It will only ever show tabs with commands in them, i.e. Factories would have a Orders and Units tab. So for the majority of units the only tab will be the orders tab. I am still not positive what I want to do with the state commands yet. For now the just appear on the side.

Organization is a good thing as far as I'm concerned (the one writing the widget), plus it might be a little easier for newbs to find what it is they are actually looking for. You on the other hand can use any widget you see fit, you already know what you want.
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

If there's a 2nd page to be reached, if you really can't fit all buildings into a single window, the engine already has a quick default way to switch between them, the , . (prevmenu, nextmenu) hotkeys. Pressing one key is probably quicker than any alternative you can think of.

Btw the sole reason I don't use RedUI is because for some reason it has menu arrows that don't follow those hotkeys.

But it really comes down to the fact that when you can fit almost everything on one page, for most builders everything, period, I don't see the point of always splitting them up just in case for anomalies like selecting several different builders at the same time.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Makes sense to split them up because it's better organized that way.
If you want speed, you should use hotkeys, and btw, you may want to display keybinding next to the icons.
albator

Post by albator »

+1 with johan, but you eventually wont be able to put all option in general for sake of clarity.

3) looks like a nice idea. However, you still want to be able to scroll the screen (move in 3D space) while you select you build, so mouse-wheel should not be the default key if you do it. Let the user pick the binding himself is the best I guess, otherwise it makes sense to keep the current keys (page up/down) at default
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

albator wrote:3) looks like a nice idea. However, you still want to be able to scroll the screen (move in 3D space) while you select you build, so mouse-wheel should not be the default key if you do it. Let the user pick the binding himself is the best I guess, otherwise it makes sense to keep the current keys (page up/down) at default
I think the opposite. If I move my mouse over the build menu, mouse buttons do already have another meaning than over the map ("context"). So changing the binding of the wheel is OK. I can position my pointer already over the button that will appear after I change the page with the wheel.

Anyway - it is just the default binding! Allowing the user to change it (remove it in your case) is still an option.

On a different topic: I haven't actually tried it, so maybe it is already like this... : I don't like that some UI elements in BA react to middle-drag. I use that for moving the map. When I accidentally move the chat window over the screen I almost rage ;)
Can you make your UI movable only in edit-mode?

On a totally different topic (10t metal block falls down): What will be the name of the UI? :) "official [BAR] UI" (or whatever BAR will be called) or what about "CoolUI" or FunkUI or just Funky :mrgreen:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

The name of the UI is ChilliUI. The theme name may very well be "Funky".
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Btw the sole reason I don't use RedUI is because for some reason it has menu arrows that don't follow those hotkeys.
Which hotkeys do you mean? This can be easily implemented & likely would have been years ago if you'd made a bug/feature report.
NeonStorm

Post by NeonStorm »

I am still not positive what I want to do with the state commands yet. For now the just appear on the side.
Best thing would be to put them into the command tab.
There is enough space. And if some users don't like that, you could make an option whether they are in commands or the side.
plus it might be a little easier for newbs to find what it is they are actually looking for
If it is mainly for newbes, tt could be good if there could be some newbe tab.
This newbe tab shows units when they are useful to suggest for example:
* Fight command if user never or only rarely uses it on units where it might be good.
* nano towers when income starts to exceed available build power
* solars when you have no energy and it is a mod where solars don't cost energy.
* Wind if it is strong on this map, but solars storages if you have to few.
* LLTs only if newbe don't cluster them (way to many on to small area)
* T2 (Pitbull) could overwrite T1 (Gaatgun) when T1 and T2 constructors are selected.

Don't bother for mods other than BA(R) if you provide config files others will rapidly provide own for different mods.
I haven't actually tried it, so maybe it is already like this... : I don't like that some UI elements in BA react to middle-drag.
+1
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Silentwings wrote:
Which hotkeys do you mean? This can be easily implemented & likely would have been years ago if you'd made a bug/feature report.
The ones I talked about in the previous paragraph,

Johannes wrote:, . (prevmenu, nextmenu)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Which keys on your keyboard are you pressing in the expectation that they will change the menu page?
very_bad_soldier

Post by very_bad_soldier »

I guess he meant these:
Johannes wrote:, . (prevmenu, nextmenu)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

xD Oh I see.... I thought that was stray punctuation

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”