Balanced Annihilation Reloaded - Page 6

Balanced Annihilation Reloaded

Balanced Annihilation with remade Units

Moderator: Content Developer

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Re: Balanced Annihilation Reloaded

Post by KaiserJ »

maybe it would be a good idea to start a claims chart?

lots of new modellers working on things, it would be a shame to waste any effort by having people create replacements for the same unit by way of lack of communication

i've seen wombat making stuff, basic, beherith, hobo joe, the list goes on.... i doubt there's any real contact or organization between modellers; i've already seen 3 or 4 samson replacements hehe

beyond this i sort of think it might be a cool idea if we were to go the route of "claims" for people to choose a lab for their claim and model all related units (so claim a t1 kbot lab, and make the lab itself and all of the units created by said lab for example)

maybe people who are working on unit replacements could come forth and post here with their work so we can get a semblance of organization?

i'm still totally willing to make as much as needed via legos but it would be nice for other people to be involved and contributing; its a nice feeling seeing your work go into a game that you can actually play.

edit : i have a feeling lab claims would be able to provide BA:R with faction style coherence while still allowing modellers to showcase their own personal styles and abilities.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Regret wrote:
Wombat wrote:Regret still wants to make BAR ? is it still 'running'? im ready to remodel whole arm with Kaiser (he doesnt know it yet >:) )

do we need new arm logo either ?
Yep it's still running, and will be for a long time.

Yes new logo's are needed for both sides.
So what are you planning to do with all the models with the Arm/Core logos on them once you've redesigned the logos?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

biggest problem for me now is texturing, kaiser got other projects to help at and i got no clue how to make texture :(

btw, i would like to know what u ppl consider as a 'remake' , if u expect remake of stumpy to look like : changing cannon just to make it ip free, tell me now so i can stop bother modeling :(
caldera

Post by caldera »

Redone models should be textured without current core/arm logos. They can be added later, as soon as final BAR-logos are done...
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i'm going to appeal again and ask for people to make claims of units they want to remake. no reason to have 3 people working on the same thing, right?

edit: if there's a problem like "i dunno about how to even start with textures"... there are lots of nice people who can give you instruction, so that you can learn how to do it yourself. i'd hate to think there are people out there "afraid" to help, because they don't feel they are good enough or whatever. i can be a dick but i'm not going to be like that to someone who comes and asks for help EVER. so post, or find someone on the lobby, or PM somebody, and start the creative process. if you want me in particular (i often idle around evenings UTC/GMT -5 hours) go /j #kaiser as i am often incognito

even Mr D and cremuss at one point in their life didn't know this stuff either and look how awesome they are now ;) so don't be discouraged if you're a noob. all you need is some creativity and some determination.
yanom

Post by yanom »

KaiserJ wrote:you can remake all of BA using lego parts.

posted this before; nobody seemed to care, but hey. i like the idea of ip-free BA.

a rookie modeller with a basic knowledge of how to delete faces and set object origins could crank out a model every 10 minutes.

reskin it once; you have a set for arm and a set for core.

i have another set in the works that would be better suited for buildings and will include all of the parts you see there.

and yes, i know its not the -best- way to do it. but in terms of having factions looking similar, and being able to make/play this mod sometime this century (which i assume is the bottom line, rather than making something visually stunning) i hope you'll at least consider this method.
I agree.
yanom

Post by yanom »

KaiserJ wrote: if you tell me that this texture is nice, but wont look good at a distance, without suggesting something concrete and practical as how to fix it, spiders will crawl into my brain and kill me. im not sure even how this turned from a thread about a mod to a critique thread about my model but i'll be damned if im letting you guys off the hook without helping me after breaking my brain
Scale down/ edit the texture so it's less busy? IDK im not really an artist.
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

I could also take some part in it, but only if you guys really going to change the models. However I think it would be best if somebody either draw on paper the new models or keeping some guidelines/style otherwise the whole thing could look funny with all kinds of models put together.
losbellos

Post by losbellos »

I see a lots of people are interested... :D
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Is this project even alive, moving? Seems pretty dead to me...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Regret died.
TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

----------------------------------------------------
Logging started on april 30 15:35:03 2010
----------------------------------------------------
[0:24:41] <Regret> coming right after duke nukem forever
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Regret has stated that he does not wish to lead the effort that is BAR.
Anyone else is welcome to take the helm - alot of things have been layed out for them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

/me pretends suprised
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

i wanted regret to be the leader, by way of reasoning that this project will just end up as "too many cooks spoiling the broth"... after hearing about the various woes of people contributing to CA over the years, i would rather have someone in a solid leadership role rather just expecting things fall into place.

dont get me wrong, i like CA, but the last thing i want to do is fight and argue to have my work included. i'm not interested in catering to the BA crowd, because quite simply they don't like my work, and offer very little of their own. this project (at least for me) was a way to appeal to people who haven't tried spring before and might have been turned off by the ancient graphics.

the sheer number of responses compared with the number of people who actually offered to do something shows a huge gap of interest.

i'm working on my own project similar to BA:R. it won't be branded *A.
Gota

Post by Gota »

KaiserJ wrote:i wanted regret to be the leader, by way of reasoning that this project will just end up as "too many cooks spoiling the broth"... after hearing about the various woes of people contributing to CA over the years, i would rather have someone in a solid leadership role rather just expecting things fall into place.

dont get me wrong, i like CA, but the last thing i want to do is fight and argue to have my work included. i'm not interested in catering to the BA crowd, because quite simply they don't like my work, and offer very little of their own. this project (at least for me) was a way to appeal to people who haven't tried spring before and might have been turned off by the ancient graphics.

the sheer number of responses compared with the number of people who actually offered to do something shows a huge gap of interest.

i'm working on my own project similar to BA:R. it won't be branded *A.
I love your work.
If you dont mind grabbing SA U52 and putting your models in, in the roles you think they would fit in Id definitely release the next version with them.
SA U52 is just a mutator,all you need to do is throw your models and scripts in and name them using the names of the units your replacing.

I dont know why you didnt approach me about this.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

thats actually a hell of a good idea gota;

and i think i did bug you a few months ago saying i'd need some help with a balance sheet for an upcoming project ;) wintertime isn't as busy for me, so i'll probably be making some serious headway within the next few months unless something changes. i have co-operation with an artist outside of the community as well, i expect he'll be popping up on the forum before long. also i plan to use beheriths models (and calderas animation/implementation), as well as any other offerings that i can get from people, as well as possibly yanking some CA models and changing the texture a bit. big fan of Mr D's work as well, im sure his stuff will find a home.

i realize that last post i made makes me sound like a negative nancy. what i would really love for a project like this is a fair and unflinching overlord who isn't afraid to make sweeping statements about design and implementation, as well as able to actually make the game. defenitely not a jab at regret, i love the guy. i myself very much unsuitable for a role as a leader, due to my unpredictable moodswings.

edit : and yes. i will still contribute to BA:R if momentum is gained.
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

I've completed adding in all the models, some new special effects, and other models from XTA/CA as temp. I'll probably just release it under BA II with no change to the unit balance.

As for the models, if people could focus on 1 category and finish that category before starting a new one. Hopefully this should give it a cleaner look.

High priority categories

COR T2 bots
ARM T1 vechs <---- second
ARM T1 bots <---- first
ARM T2 vechs
ARM T2 bots
ARM T1/T2 air
COR T1/T2 air

Mid priority

COR Static D
ARM Static D
ARM Eco
COR Eco

You can have me call it BA reloaded if you want, and no Kaiser I don't hate you either :P

Edit: Just updated laser/most missile/plasma effects from CA/SA, they look good ^^

Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Imo you should release a playable version now with only T1 and T1 balance and then players can give you feedback about the T1 units and the T1 balance. Then, when T2 is all ready, you can add that in and then players can give feedback on that. Then T3 and after that maybe things like T2 static units or w/e.

If you did it this way, I'll help you with everything I can simply because I love T1 battles so very very much and if it means the first versions will stay T1 with no T2 gheyness for a while, I could work on my T1 skills for this game.

I'm actually really looking forward to playing this, simply because my eyes are tiring of looking at these 10+ year old models with the same general uses and tactics as they had 10+ years ago.

So yeah, make a playable version first with only a few T1 units and then feedback can be more specific and finely tuned instead of players barraging you about costs of T2 units, T2 balance, overpowered T3 units and the like.

And again, if you're against this idea, I'll be happy to make you dozens of decent loadscreens or graphics of some sort just to persuade you :P
Nixa

Post by Nixa »

Haha, I'm against the idea simply because a) Balance isn't going to be changed until a playerbase is obtained b) I won't get a playerbase with just T1 :P

Return to “Balanced Annihilation Reloaded”