What does /ingame do?

What does /ingame do?

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

MasterBel

What does /ingame do?

Post by MasterBel »

If I send "/ingame" in a chat field in SpringLobby I receive the following messages:

Code: Select all

[13:08:51] ** Server ** Registration date: unknown
[13:08:51] ** Server ** Email address: None
[13:08:51] ** Server ** Ingame time: 1685 hours
The GETINGAMETIME command used to give this message:

[13:08:51] ** Server ** Ingame time: 1685 hours
But now documentation for any such command is simply missing. The changelog does not mention when it might have been removed, and clearly some command with similar functionality is still there.

Could the documentation please be updated?
Silentwings

Re: What does /ingame do?

Post by Silentwings »

I guess you've ignored the "FAILED" message that GETINGAMETIME generates as a reply:

[08:27:40] Sent: "GETINGAMETIME"
[08:27:40] !! Command: "FAILED" params: "cmd=GETINGAMETIME	msg=deprecated, using GETUSERINFO instead!".
[08:27:40] ** Server ** Registration date: Sep 24, 2013
[08:27:40] ** Server ** Email address: ***
[08:27:40] ** Server ** Ingame time: 3702 hours
GETUSERINFO is not included in the docs because the format of its reply string is not fixed - for now, at least. It is really meant for lobby mods, who are sent a more detailed reply, and it is covered in the (non-public) docs of moderator commands. The same is true of some other commands that send a human friendly text string in reply; don't rely on these existing / staying the same.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Ah, seems that SpringLobby was filtering out the error for me. I just stumbled across the error on my own.

Seems a pity that this isn't an officially supported feature. Any reason it has to be unpredictable and undocumented? If you're sending stuff back, might as well say so.
GETUSERINFO is not included in the docs because the format of its return string is not fixed
Shouldn't it a) be in the docs anyway, just b) flagged as likely to change by the next version, and c) flagged in the changelog when changes happen?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

The docs reflect the current state of "what should be relied on by a lobby dev for the foreseeable future". All unformatted text message replies (which basically means ChanServ and the moderator interface) plus all legacy stuff plus occasional wip stuff can/do have unannounced changes, so are excluded.

Ingame time is currently a bit arbitrary, it ignores singleplayer, includes spectating, knows nothing about which games were played. For now all you should rely on existing here is the user ranks sent within the status bitfields.
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Silentwings wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 12:50 Ingame time is currently a bit arbitrary, it ignores singleplayer, includes spectating, knows nothing about which games were played. For now all you should rely on existing here is the user ranks sent within the status bitfields.
Sure it's arbitrary but I like curious statistics that I can stick in some window somewhere.

It doesn't have to work, it'd just be really nice if it did.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 10.16.00 am.png
(160.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
MasterBel

Post by MasterBel »

Could always change that to "X multiplayer hours played since X/X/X" if it's a concern that it excludes singleplayer.

Also reminds me that rank really should be based on something other than ingame time… maybe a compromise would be a player's global TrueSkill across all games (defaulting to based on ingame time when SLDB dies [Yes, I know SLDB doesn't calculate such a number. But Spring replays site provides statistics on their most played game, so that statistic could be used instead…])

Return to “SpringLobby Client”