registration/login statistics

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Split from viewtopic.php?p=593107#p593107

I made a few tweaks to timings & error messages on Jan 8th to try and smooth the new email registration process. I think its working well now, some stats:

Since then until now (currently Jan 12th) there were 74 new registrations, of these:
- 59 resulted in a successful login
- 4 did not attempt to log in
- 6 did not accept the ToS
- 2 did not enter a verification code
- 1 entered the wrong verification code
- 2 used a vpn to register (such registrations are delayed by 24h and some don't return, some retry without a vpn)

I am a bit curious about the ones who made no attempt to login. Afaics this is unrelated to any recent changes and is simply a failure of their client software - clients should attempt to login immediately after registration - but I don't know which clients they were using. There have been successful registration+logins from all up-to-date clients that I know of.

Some/all of the ones declining the ToS are perhaps doing it accidentally, https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues/941

From 28/12 to 08/01 just over 65% of registrations resulted in a successful login. For this period there isn't data available to easily summarise the failure cases. So there were some casualties whilst the new process was ironed out.

edit: updated stats
ThinkSome

Re: SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268

Post by ThinkSome »

How many registrations were there before these changes?
MaDDoX

Post by MaDDoX »

Silentwings wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 05:04The verification code expires after 48h, and it says so in the email, with a precise datetime. User accounts who didn't complete registration are automatically deleted after 1 week. If you have usernames from within the past week I can check logs and see exactly what's happened to them.
Great to know! Out of the ones I recall, I had one user who couldn't even access our website (he mentioned 'many sites are outlawed in my country'), so no surprise there that I had to create a temp email and account for him. There was another one who never told me his username, and then username 'LordGrey'. He couldn't get the validation box when trying to connect. Maybe it was related to the server bug you fixed recently?
https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues with springlobby.log of the failed dl
I've sent abma the log but it wasn't too helpful since apparently it was overwritten by a second boot of SL I did. I'll try it again soon, but the whole process did seem to be improved and I haven't got any complaints since then.
I won't lie that there are still some usability issues and quirks on SL 0.269 which make me hesitant to recommend it after the account is created/validated. I've already added those issues (with screenshots / anim gifs) to SL's issue tracker and I believe they'll be resolved soon.

Thank you for all your support, Silentwings!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

LordGrey
This is a bit special: He registered his account, then straightaway tried to re-register the same username again without logging in, then tried to login but entered his password incorrectly 9 times, tried to re-register the same username 2 more times, then registered a second account (username LordGrey_), and with this second username he logged in (-> used his correct pw, at last!) and entered his verification code correctly on the first attempt.

No bugs involved, perhaps language difficulties played a part there...
one user who couldn't even access our website (he mentioned 'many sites are outlawed in my country')
I would be amazed if this person could access our server - its the same IP address.
Silentwings

Re: registration/login statistics

Post by Silentwings »

Split & updated stats. With the possible exception of https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues/941 it looks to me like its now working well.

Return to “SpringLobby Client”