SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

i'm preparing the next release of springlobby. All the infrastructure switched from springlobby.info to https://springlobby.springrts.com/ and the whole build process has been upgraded. As i don't have windows, can someone please test if the upgrade progress works. With wine it worked fine:

to test, download an "old" build:

https://springlobby.springrts.com/dl/de ... -win32.zip

extract it, start it, quit it.

edit springlobby.conf and change in [General]
UpdateChannel=develop

start it again, click tools -> check version, click yes to upgrade and check if it upgrades to the latest version (atm 0.267-87-gf89c10b6c)

then post feedback here if it worked: if so, i'll make a release springlobby 0.268.

thanks in advance!

i'm aware of a lot of other bugs, but the partly broken downloader is the worst thing which is fixed with this release:

https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... /ChangeLog

also i can't wait this long for an release as idk how long springlobby.info will work / can be updated by me.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: SpringLobby tester needed for springlobby 0.268

Post by Forboding Angel »

Worked perfectly fine for me:

https://i.imgur.com/H77oFZP.png

Followed your instructions exactly, didn't do anything different (except I decided to make sure it would connect to the spring server properly)
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

I followed the instructions.
Downloaded into Downloads folder.
Executed.
Windows Defender Warning i ignored.
Closed Springlobby.
No Springlobby.conf and non created in folder on changing settings. Searched for it in resident springlobby install. Not found.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

PicassoCT wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 08:50 No Springlobby.conf and non created in folder on changing settings. Searched for it in resident springlobby install. Not found.
try "%APPDATA%\springlobby\springlobby.conf"
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Tested.
Worked f-lawless.
Go on my end.

Device: Windows 10 Surface
abma
Spring Developer

Re: SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268

Post by abma »

thanks a lot, thats enough testing for now! i'll try to create the release soon!
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

@abma: Since there is a lot of server interaction here, could the SL update be on a day when I'm able to be around? Dec 16 or 23 would suit me best.

It would probably also help those who distribute game packages to have a set date.

Once SL is updated I plan to finish https://github.com/spring/uberserver/issues/328
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

This sounds like a good plan to me.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Silentwings wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 13:50 @abma: Since there is a lot of server interaction here, could the SL update be on a day when I'm able to be around? Dec 16 or 23 would suit me best.
why should it be on the same date? the updated springlobby should be compatible to the current and the "new" lobby server version or did i miss something?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

When the new SL is set live, the server will need its config changed to switch on email verification (see server_email_account.txt on the test server). This will need a server restart but no code changes.

Yes the new SL should be fully compatible with server, and was tested by quite a few people now, but if it was possible I'd rather be around in case some unexpected issue appears.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Silentwings wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 22:54 When the new SL is set live, the server will need its config changed to switch on email verification (see server_email_account.txt on the test server). This will need a server restart but no code changes.
i don't understand: why is a lobby server update needed when SL is upgraded?

IMHO first the SL version should be released and after some delay, when the new springlobby version "works", the email verification enabled.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

why is a lobby server update needed when SL is upgraded?
The new SL asks users to enter a verification code (during registration) alongside the confirmation of term of use, which is then sent to the server as an arg of CONFIRMAGREEMENT. If the server has not been configured to send verification codes by email i.e. verification is switched off, then in fact it doesn't matter what string the user enters, the verification step will accept any input and always pass. However, the SL gui won't tell the user that, it will tell the user to check their email.

Clients like SL will not be told if the server has verification switched on or not. Telling them would require a protocol change within a step *before* REGISTER, which would be a rather serious change and would require that the server & all clients did an update in sync anyway! Instead clients should always assume that verification is required - which is the right situation to have imo.

The only purpose of being able to switch verification off (i.e. not having the server_email_account.txt file present) is that server devs won't have to run an smtp server in their uberserver dev environments.

As said, no change of server code is needed, just a change of config and a restart to apply it.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ok, then i try to release springlobby 0.268 next week 10-12.12. i don't won't to update server and client at the same time: if we hit some error we have to investigate first, if it was the server or client change.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

In the interim period, the server could send an email only if an email address was provided. The server knows when the email address is provided, naturally.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

then i try to release springlobby 0.268 next week 10-12.12.
I'm afraid I won't be around, I am travelling all of next week.
the server could send an email only if an email address was provided
This has the same issue client-side as explained above.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ok, i've made the release of 0.268: https://springlobby.springrts.com/

i will update springlobby.info soon so the autoupdater will make springlobby prompt for updating when i don't hear anything bad about 0.268. Not sure when i find the time: atm it looks like wednesday, 11.12.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

I used the unstable one for a while playing some TAP games. Seemed solid to me.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ok, thanks for the feedback, i've released springlobby 0.268: all users should get a prompt to upgrade from now on.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Seems stable and the server logs are clean. I will make the changes to the server to require email verification, and deprecate legacy lobby flags (+ any legacy lobbies still relying on them) at the weekend.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

what are the legacy lobbies that will get deprecated?

and is there updated documentation on what lobby clients need to do to interact with the server?

Return to “SpringLobby Client”