SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268 - Page 2

SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Silentwings

Re: SpringLobby testing for springlobby 0.268

Post by Silentwings »

is there updated documentation
In the normal place :roll: https://springrts.com/wiki/Lobby_Development
what are the legacy lobbies that will get deprecated?
* SL, Chobby, SPADS, SLDB, IRC-bridge and AppService are maintained, thanks to bibim/abma/gajop/Turboss/others
* SWL is deprecated (by its authors) and superceeded by Chobby.
* A list of unmaintained lobby clients is on https://springrts.com/wiki/Lobby_Develo ... by_clients, afaik all of these already fail to work in some ways + some will undoubtedly break in more ways, the details are not simple.
* Together the above covers about 99.5% of all client logins on the server in the past few months. The remaining 0.5% is mostly NotaLobby, which doesn't have public source code so anything could happen, but based on the compatibility flags it sends I wouldn't expect it to break. Since the lobbyserver uses a public protocol, some connections also come from things that I have literally no idea what they are or who makes/uses them...
MaDDoX

Post by MaDDoX »

Hey @abma , we've got a good numbers of new players trying to play TA Prime after its release, but failing hard due to some SpringLobby issues.
Players in Asia and Russia some times don't get the validation e-mail, sometimes it takes more than a day and then there's no way to re-open the 'enter code' / validation window that I could find. They also can't try it again with their originally used e-mail, because it's set as "taken" even though it wasn't (and apparently, can never be) validated. Does pending validation e-mails ever expire?

Anyways, supposing they get through that barrier. In 0.269, many times (although not consistently) SpringLobby won't download the mod file. In one of my machines it worked, in the other it didn't. Players who tried it and didn't have SL installed previously couldn't do it. This never happens on SL 0.267 - even 0.263 works fine according to a player report - , so basically I'm having to orient players to install 0.269 (since 0.267 doesn't show the validation code field), create an account (making sure they don't close the registration window), and download an older version like 0.267 to be able to download the mod files and play.

Needless to say, this is much more of a hassle than players wanna take in 2020. I know the idea of the e-mail validation code was to prevent banned abusers from creating multiple accounts and continue harassing new players, but what's the point if new players can't even join a server and play the game to start with? For far east players I'm even offering to create the accounts for them.. :?
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Players in Asia and Russia some times don't get the validation e-mail, sometimes it takes more than a day
Afaics the only reason for this can be their email providers. The email is always sent without any delay.
and then there's no way to re-open the 'enter code' / validation window that I could find.
Entering the code is done simultaneously with accepting the ToS. Users who have not yet done this are shown the ToS/verification window, whenever they try to log in.

There was a server bug (found+fixed 3 days ago: https://github.com/spring/uberserver/co ... 31d8e9d8c7) where the needed window didn't show up under some particular conditions - it was unrelated to ip/location/lobby; it affected users who entered the correct code but then had a failed first login for some other reason.
They also can't try it again with their originally used e-mail, because it's set as "taken" even though it wasn't (and apparently, can never be) validated. Does pending validation e-mails ever expire?
The verification code expires after 48h, and it says so in the email, with a precise datetime. User accounts who didn't complete registration are automatically deleted after 1 week. If you have usernames from within the past week I can check logs and see exactly what's happened to them.
I know the idea of the e-mail validation code was to
It's for account recovery & the long term goal of linking of accounts across services. Perhaps it contributes a small amount to discouraging malicious users but because of e.g. https://temp-mail.org/ (which I use for testing) it's not so helpful there.

Let me know of any changes you'd suggest to make the process easier for your new users.
In 0.269, many times (although not consistently) SpringLobby won't download the mod file. In one of my machines it worked, in the other it didn't.
https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues with springlobby.log of the failed dl

Return to “SpringLobby Client”