Springlobby connect window improvements

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Would you like something similar to this as a replacement for the current login/register window?
2018-06-29-141839_310x499_scrot.png
2018-06-29-141839_310x499_scrot.png (27.24 KiB) Viewed 7507 times
Note: "Login as guest" would generate its own nickname and require no password to be chosen from newbies. It would also require small changes to Uberserver and optionally SLDB. Advanced options would be hidden by default. Register would also automatically login after the fact. The password field would come pre-filled with a random password (e.g. random base64 chars of length 20+).
nixtux
TechA Developer

Re: Springlobby connect window improvements

Post by nixtux »

If you could rename 'login as guest' to 'login as mando' I think it's an excellent idea and not open to abuse :lol:

Sorry but due to obvious flaw in your idea that's the only response I see fit.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Yep, I'm afraid "login as guest" is not wanted, due to potential for abuse. (In fact, if there is any long term plan for logins, it is to require email verification, and partial support already exists inside uberserver.)

Otherwise, the rest of it looks good, and ofc it should remember the value chosen for "display advanced options".
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

I don't see how allowing guest logins makes things worse than they are now. I totally forgot about e-mail and I'll add that, but I think there should still be a barrier-less entry to the lobby, i.e. limited guest logins. One way to limit damage from throwaways would also be to enable minimum rank=beginner+ on larger team hosts.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

2018-06-29-174108_331x609_scrot.png
2018-06-29-174108_331x609_scrot.png (33.34 KiB) Viewed 7484 times
Crowded.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Option 2
2018-06-29-183305_333x609_scrot.png
2018-06-29-183305_333x609_scrot.png (33.46 KiB) Viewed 7482 times
, better as the email address could be quite long.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

What are the advanced options?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Advanced options are everything in the box below Show advanced options: lobby server choice, remember password and autoconnect checkboxes.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

If making a username and a password with absolutely no verification at all is too much of an entry barrier, then I would venture to say that we probably don't want that person around anyway.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Forboding Angel wrote:If making a username and a password with absolutely no verification at all is too much of an entry barrier, then I would venture to say that we probably don't want that person around anyway.
E-Mail verification is what might be a problem. And ...
2018-07-01-002228_278x655_scrot.png
2018-07-01-002228_278x655_scrot.png (38.38 KiB) Viewed 7419 times

I guess merging login and registrations will not work any more with so many extra fields. Yes, it is clipped above and below because it does not longer fit my laptop's screen :O. Would having a register button that opens a separate registration window be preferable to the current situation from a design point of view? Or should they still be merged together?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

If anyone else wants to try creating a better UI... here is the wxFormBuilder project file: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/DOm ... ljQ41H9Mk/ .. no programming knowledge necessary.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

How are we going to de-monetize people with hat-tricks, if we dont even have a account. If you dont have a cont, you cant be sucker-punched
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Another option: split login and register windows, advanced box is only shown if Springlobby is placed into global advanced user/developer mode (does not exist yet):
https://framapic.org/gallery#RZZWjIRInC ... DDeWYQ.png
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

the "generate new random password" seems unnecessary.

The latest pics don't show the "show advanced options" option.
gajop

Post by gajop »

This is really badly designed. Have you not logged in to a site in recent years?

So first off, fix the order of things. Email, username, password.

Remove crazy options like guest login, pw gen, code request (?)

Put things below with smaller font. (Checboxes).

Terms of the server should be a pop-up that appears when (or before) they register, and should always be clickable below, as a text link (like urls)
gajop

Post by gajop »

Also get rid of the borders within the form, it hampers readability and just looks far busier than it should be
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Disregard anybodys advice if they have programmed or any administrative experience.

Reduce to minima of necessary function. Make a first time login and a returning player login of which the first is a subset.

Keep the guest login as first login.

Remind people that They log into a game.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

raaar wrote:the "generate new random password" seems unnecessary.

The latest pics don't show the "show advanced options" option.
Why would we need people to come up with a password when it is absolutely unnecessary for them to do so? It is just another barrier to entry. Additionally, most people will reuse passwords, which is bad even for a game service. Most other games for which I know at least some workings of, either generate passwords on their own (quake - qkey) or they use guest logins in some other way.

Indeed there is no "show advanced options" option, whether advanced options appear or not would be controlled whether SL is globally in newbie mode(not shown) or advanced+ mode (shown).

gajop wrote:...
It is in that order already(email-nickname-password-[retype password], see the gallery link I've posted yesterday. Guest login is also not present in yesterday's design.

"Request code" is part of email verification, I don't know what you think would be a proper implementation of it. All the sites do it either via a confirm link being sent or a code being given, the latter being what I am doing.

Basically, a new user would enter their email and press the request code button. The system would then send a randomly-generated verification code in an e-mail to it, which the user would then use to proceed with registration.

Which things "below" would you like to see with a smaller font?

ToS and PP would be a popup accessed by pressing the "Open" button. What do you mean with "clickable below"? Currently, I don't know how to make clickable text links and I haven't planned for these to be website links, but opened within SL in a window, as is presently the case.
gajop wrote:Also get rid of the borders within the form, it hampers readability and just looks far busier than it should be
Hmmm
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Well, another way to implement e-mail verification would be to indeed remove the code thingie and not activate the account until the confirm link inside the e-mail is clicked. Either that or put the account into limited not-verified mode, e.g. limit it to <2vs2 hosts.

Anyway, the latest formbuilder project file is here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/40W ... cL8G4C0yM/
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

Without elements inside boxes, newbie and advanced player/developer views:

https://framapic.org/gallery#JKDZifGPej ... npx6W9.png

Return to “SpringLobby Client”