Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

ThinkSome

#main not joined by default

Post by ThinkSome »

abma why?

https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... df3aaf3cd2
https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... f6d111cda2
https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... 0be9a41aaf

How are autohosts supposed to advertise to newbies when the only channel newbies join is #newbies and advertising is forbidden there?
triton
Lobby Moderator

Re: #main not joined by default

Post by triton »

Main channel is a bot channel now, which make me sad.

Who need the bots msgs? I never read them, who does?
gajop

Post by gajop »

I never thought autohosts were supposed to advertise
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Since #main had become dead to due to bot advertising spam, it was decided a while ago that #main would become simply an unmarked, non-special channel for bots to advertise in, to anyone who still wants to hear it. The 'autojoin' channel is now #newbies, which is bot-free, there didn't seem to be much of a case for saying that newbies (or anyone else) liked automated advertising.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

Maybe it would be more appropriate to have a #botadvertising channel and clear bots from #main, because sometimes I feel like I shouldn't be chatting with other experienced players in #newbies
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

MasterBel2 wrote:Maybe it would be more appropriate to have a #botadvertising channel and clear bots from #main, because sometimes I feel like I shouldn't be chatting with other experienced players in #newbies
No, activity is good. I propose #main to just be removed entirely from the server.

Advertising should be implemented some other way, perhaps with the advertised room blinking for 10-30s. The back-end implementation could be a channel or some room update message.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

ThinkSome wrote:Advertising should be implemented some other way, perhaps with the advertised room blinking for 10-30s. The back-end implementation could be a channel or some room update message.
From an infrastructure point of view this shouldn't be too hard to implement. Personally my approach would be to add a serverside/clientside PROMOTE command to Uberserver, which the lobbies can then use to whatever purpose they wish, whether that be polluting chat in all channels (let's not, shall we?) or having a flashing battle in the battle list as you suggested. Ignoring promotes would also be possible this way, for those who are especially irritated by them/really do not wish to play.

Would people object to that? I don't have that much experience in python, but I could see what I can do and if I can work it out put up a pr to the uberserver repo?
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

It's useful having a channel that everyone joins by default. "newbies" has a special conotation to it. "main" seems fine.

There should be a way for people to signal to others that they'd like to play without having to ask on the chat. "!promote" does that

Unfortunately most new players don't know promote exists, and a lot of the veteran ones ignore it.

I agree it should be better integrated with the lobbies, and made suggestions for that already:
viewtopic.php?f=92&t=35794&p=582172#p582172
https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues/761

The key is highlighting games that have been recently promoted but haven't started yet.
MasterBel2

Post by MasterBel2 »

raaar wrote:The key is highlighting games that have been recently promoted but haven't started yet.
I agree with this, so that's now three people who'd like this. For easier integration I've suggested a PROMOTE command – currently I'm looking at coding that myself.

I (finally!) have uberserver running on my computer, so progress will (hopefully!) start being made soon on this.
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

MasterBel2 wrote:
raaar wrote:The key is highlighting games that have been recently promoted but haven't started yet.
I agree with this, so that's now three people who'd like this. For easier integration I've suggested a PROMOTE command – currently I'm looking at coding that myself.

I (finally!) have uberserver running on my computer, so progress will (hopefully!) start being made soon on this.
I've added a promote button to SpringLobby and will look into implementing blinking.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

ThinkSome wrote:I've added a promote button to SpringLobby and will look into implementing blinking.
is there already some limitation about when promote can be clicked / promote is sent by the autohost?

i.e. does the autohost promote messages when the battleroom is already full?
ThinkSome

Post by ThinkSome »

abma wrote: is there already some limitation about when promote can be clicked / promote is sent by the autohost?

i.e. does the autohost promote messages when the battleroom is already full?
There is promote flood protect, but I don't know what happens when the battle is already full.
FabriceFABS

Post by FabriceFABS »

Default value of promoteDelay is 600s for autohost owners in their setting configuration.
Personnaly, I've changed it from years to 59s.

And when autohost has reached the numbers of players, the autohost promote this message with [...#null# player(s) needed... -no number before "player(s)"- :
[16:48:09] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, TheRockFinal] ([AFUS]Ares)
[16:53:55] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, DeltaSiegeDry] ([AFUS]Ares)

[16:54:32] * [FAST]AutoHost1 * 60 player(s) needed for battle "** Tech Annihilation **" [Tech Annihilation v2.41.0, techno lands 3v3 v2] ([DIE]Vatermoerder)
[17:09:38] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, Nuclear_Winter_v1] ([AFUS]Ares)
[17:48:34] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, Tempest] (fl4k3)

[17:52:51] <[ACE]FaFa_BOT> [ANNOUNCEMENT] 2v2 // Comet // ACE-Pirine
[18:06:50] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, DeltaSiegeDry] ([AFUS]Ares)
[18:12:38] * [ACE]Pirine * ~~ HEY ~~ [ACE]FabriceFABS needs 1 player(s) for Comet Catcher Redux (Balanced Annihilation V9.43). Come play and enjoy !
[18:14:13] <[ACE]FaFa_BOT> [ANNOUNCEMENT] 8th player missing needed for a 4v4 on Comet ! // ACE-Pinine
[18:28:28] * BlackHoleHost2 * player(s) needed for battle "The BlackHoleHost - Revenge" [Balanced Annihilation V9.43, Mescaline_V2] ([AFUS]Ares)

And yes, maybe a fix on spads-side should be set for avoiding promo in such cases when numbers of players has been reached.
[EDIT] > Done @ https://github.com/Yaribz/SPADS/issues/33

Return to “SpringLobby Client”