springlobby feature request : show other players' lobbies

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

There should at least be an option to show the lobby other players are currently using.

this would make helping new players easier.

as of now, if someone asks "are you using springlobby?", the other person may understand "are you using a spring lobby?", think to itself "wtf" and answer "yes, ofc", when in fact is using something else..

this confusion may or may not be overcome in a few minutes. If not, some leave. There are lots of games, too little time and patience to overcome issues.
Anarchid

Re: springlobby feature request : show other players' lobbie

Post by Anarchid »

Currently there is a "cpuid" thing where your lobby reports wrong CPU frequency numbers since that value is generally useless. So like 6667 megaherz = ZKL.

It's a hack and something else could be had instead.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

thats basicly a feature request to change the lobby protocol and not springlobby.

moderators already can get the lobby version of users with the command GETLOBBYVERSION, but this isn't part of the official protocol.

cpuid is a hack and very likely because of it works well in most cases nobody cared about making a clean implementation, this is why springlobby doesn't use it. for some lobby clients cpuid is still a random number, so in most cases it will be correct, but in some cases it will be wrong.
dansan
Server Owner & Developer

Post by dansan »

All lobbies should just have Help->About.

Idea: lobbies could implement a button that copies useful information about the system into the paste buffer, so users can paste it into the chat/pastebin.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

as far as i know lobbies already have help->about, but having to ask people is another step.

If all lobbies stick to that hack consistently, maybe it can become a feature. Maybe it already is. Other lobbies did it.

Call it lobby id in the code. It shouldn't matter much if it is based on a protocol field with an inconsistent name (as long as it is an exception, not the rule). You could add a new lobby id to the protocol later and deprecate the old field when no longer in use.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

raaar wrote:You could add a new lobby id to the protocol later and deprecate the old field when no longer in use.
= add a hack now and remove it later -> double amount of work. i don't have the time to do such things, so:

i'm against such hacks, they prevent/block a clean approach.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Change the lobby protocol so cpuid is completely removed in favor of the lobby id? It's already mentioned there that "some lobbies" use it.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

gajop wrote:Change the lobby protocol so cpuid is completely removed in favor of the lobby id? It's already mentioned there that "some lobbies" use it.
very likely this change would cause a lot of misunderstandings/rage :-|

for me only questionable is: where to announce the lobby version? only in battles?

imo it shouldn't be send to all users on the server, but atm it looks like it would be "simpliest" by adding version info to ADDUSER (where cpuid currently also is)

edit:

marked it at least as "don't use": https://github.com/spring/LobbyProtocol ... aa05f92efb
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

It should be visible in the lobby user list.
abma wrote:
raaar wrote:You could add a new lobby id to the protocol later and deprecate the old field when no longer in use.
= add a hack now and remove it later -> double amount of work. i don't have the time to do such things, so:

i'm against such hacks, they prevent/block a clean approach.
i remember the cpu mhz being visible on springlobby at some point. All that is required is making it visible again with logic to convert each number to the proper lobby name and add the corresponding column to the lobby player list and host player list, if unknown, write "?".

this seems a small tweak to the lobby. The time spent here arguing about it could have been used to do the fix.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

raaar wrote:this seems a small tweak to the lobby. The time spent here arguing about it could have been used to do the fix.
no. the time spent here should be used to make it in a clean way. because of such hacks the code of springlobby some time ago was in a state where it was close to unmaintainable.
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

abma wrote:
raaar wrote:this seems a small tweak to the lobby. The time spent here arguing about it could have been used to do the fix.
no. the time spent here should be used to make it in a clean way. because of such hacks the code of springlobby some time ago was in a state where it was close to unmaintainable.
slippery slope

have you been harassed lately to do many different hacks to the lobby?

I'm thinking no.

maybe i'm wrong..
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

have you been harassed lately to do many different hacks to XXX?
Regardless of the answer to this, it is not a good reason to harrass someone with a relatively minor feature request.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

raaar wrote:have you been harassed lately to do many different hacks to the lobby?
lately no, but feature request list is pretty long: https://github.com/springlobby/springlo ... ls/feature

(the same for bugs :-( )

so fixing bugs should be prefered of adding such a feature as it maybe removes the requirement to know what lobby a user with a problem has ;)

edit: added to feature requests so it doesn't get lost: https://github.com/spring/LobbyProtocol/issues/35
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Re: springlobby feature request : show other players' lobbies

Post by raaar »

I added a feature request for this.
https://github.com/springlobby/springlobby/issues/799

Return to “SpringLobby Client”