Springlobby suggestion (Autojoining servers)

Moderators: Moderators, Lobby Developers

Zonk

Post by Zonk »

Pic explains it best I guess. Wording may need some work by someone whos a native english speaker.

Game (mod) would be determined by the gametype of the server u currently joined.

A similar "Autojoin" function could also popup as soon as you open springlobby, of course there you'd need to integrate multiple-choice boxes for the game (BA, ZK, etc..) - and maybe a small list of the servers that fit ur preferences instead of a plain autojoin.

Imho such a function would help this game immensely, since atm we always end up with one 8v8 game - with up to 20 specs. Sure, some of those specs actually want to spec (or are afk), but for sure there are a few that are waiting on a free spot.

And if you were a newbie in this game - but would have to hang around for hours and hours to get to play a game, how long would you keep on playing it?
For most people the answer probably is... not very long.

Sure, people could all just get their shit together and join another server together... but trying to get people to do that is like herding cats.
knorke

Re: Springlobby suggestion (Autojoining servers)

Post by knorke »

Similiar things was discussed often and similiar system actually exist or existed.
Problem was usually that players already knew which room they wanted to be in. So any attempts from matchmaking to player to a different room or split into two rooms was seen as annoyance.
Kapytii

Post by Kapytii »

This would be cool. Thou now getting a spot is easier as the auto unspectate switches off often, so active players need to re-activate it(or my stuff is just broken). This gets you less competition, as afk players dont get the free spot BUT takes away time from your Life, as you need to stay awake re-checking the box.

Someone wants to play, then let them have the option to get moved to another(good) host automatically if enuff specs are wanting to play too. How can that be annoying IF you wanna play?

Simply stupid to have that 8v8 going with 20+ specs on one room and one FFA with 5 people and one room with 1 player :p
Zonk

Post by Zonk »

Yeah, this.
As I imagine it, It wouldn't automatically shuffle you around.
It would only switch you to another server if:
1.) You did chose to get auto-switched.
2.) There are enough other players with your selected preferences
i.e.: You've given it the preferences: 6 player game, Teamgame, BA
It wouldn't switch you from your current room until theres at least 5 other players who wanted to play at least a 3v3.
The moment the system registers that there are 6 players who want to be autoswitched into a 3v3 BA game, it would make em autojoin a new server.

And ya, my auto-unspec turns off all the time too.
Sure, maybe not all of those 20+ specs may want to play, and not all of them may be willing to join another server... (at least not untill they see that the other server is becoming full too).

But I think there'd certainly be enough players willing to switch to another server - if they would know that they wouldn't have to wait alone there and could get a game going instantly.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The way it works in current games (like DOTA2) is that you can always make a room and invite your friends but under normal circumstances you choose the game type you want to play and then wait for enough other people to show up who also want to... and you can "party up" with a group of friends and then the system tries to find enough people to fill up a game... but the basic idea is that you don't, by default, go into a game room.

How I imagine this would go:

Login to the server> see who else is online> form or join a "private channel"... there would need to be a special private channel interface that paralleled the room interface but games and maps as check boxes or whatever and the "leader" would choose which games and maps you wanted to play and then click the "find game" button... at this point any players or parties that have the same things checked as your party would be moved, along with other players/parties and added to a game room all ready to go with one of the game/map combinations you both specified (with the auto-match-auto-host having these settings locked down).

Return to “SpringLobby Client”