Dune - Water Pumping Station (File Download) - Page 2

Dune - Water Pumping Station (File Download)

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

PuG

Post by PuG »

I could cap them :) its not a problem but wanted something to show it was todo with water :)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I think a row of tanks like the one on the back would work better, still looks like it handles liquids and could be adapted to use oil or something in other mods.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I'd be interested in some tips as to how you create some of the cracked effects in photoshop, and perhaps what you use as a base effect to get you started (I'm teaching myself to texture currently, with little success)
LBPB

Post by LBPB »

Wonderful !!!

But I agree, the water shouldn't be exposed this way. Evaporation would dry it too fast on Arakis
manored

Post by manored »

KDR_11k wrote:Wait, that's supposed to be exposed water? I don't know about you but when I'm so worried about evaporation that I wear a suit to prevent it and make my rooms airtight to prevent moisture from escaping I wouldn't leave my water tanks open.
Dont worry that water will evaporate, become rain, fall on the sand and then sink until it returns to the cave you took it from! :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

There is no rain, the only way to gather water was by collecting the air humidity...
manored

Post by manored »

If there is no rain, that means that water would stay on the atmosfere waiting to be collected... no waste at all! :P (unleash if you count the possibily of your enemy stealling your evaporated water :P )
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

:?
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Evaporated water doesn't help YOU though and most dwellers of the desert will just kill you and "take your water" if you can't fend for yourself.
Andreask

Post by Andreask »

IF the planet has a humid atmosphere, how can there be no rain ? The planet must have an average atmospheric tempretaure of nearly 100 degrees celsius forcing all water to seethe. If the surface tempretaure would be only sightly lower, there WOULD be rain sometimes for sure. An ecosystem just can not have water without rain, except for the planet having either no atmosphere, water only in iced form or all reservoirs really deep underground.

If you have an atmosphere there will e some kind of rain. Even on Venus, which is much to close to the sun for comfort, sulfuric rains drop on the surface.

And just think of earth´s deserts, it rains there at least once a year.

Frank Herbet just isnt much of a scientist i guess.
PuG

File Download

Post by PuG »

Right below is a download link to the Pumping Station -

http://www.dark-forge.com/downloads/Spr ... tation.zip

On the external pipes ive left a band of geometry for when they where water pools, these can be removed ;)

Enjoy!
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Andreask wrote:IF the planet has a humid atmosphere, how can there be no rain ? The planet must have an average atmospheric tempretaure of nearly 100 degrees celsius forcing all water to seethe. If the surface tempretaure would be only sightly lower, there WOULD be rain sometimes for sure. An ecosystem just can not have water without rain, except for the planet having either no atmosphere, water only in iced form or all reservoirs really deep underground.

If you have an atmosphere there will e some kind of rain. Even on Venus, which is much to close to the sun for comfort, sulfuric rains drop on the surface.

And just think of earth´s deserts, it rains there at least once a year.

Frank Herbet just isnt much of a scientist i guess.
Dune has a relative humidity of 1% or so, there's a bit of dew in the morning but the rest has to be wrestled from the winds.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

PuG, are those bumpmapped??

when did spring support bumpmapping?

:|

I might need to step up to bumpmapping to compete.. :P
PuG

Post by PuG »

no bump mapping :)
manored

Post by manored »

KDR_11k wrote:Evaporated water doesn't help YOU though and most dwellers of the desert will just kill you and "take your water" if you can't fend for yourself.
Not If I kill em first!

*Starts Building a Experimental Gantry...

And then I get my evaporated water back from the atmosfere.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

EVIL ATMOSPHERE STOLED YOUR WATERS!

Anyway, the model is good, the texture awesome. Even if there are cracks in the tanks, most tanks are double layered so I'd assume this one is as well. Especially when it holds the second most precious resource on the planet.
manored

Post by manored »

If that first-most-important-resource wich name I forgot is so valuable to be worth going to such a place to get it, why dont they import water? :P
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

They do! Lots and lots of water. But it's still expensive.
manored

Post by manored »

Zoombie wrote:They do! Lots and lots of water. But it's still expensive.
I tough exploring workers until they stop breathing was past... :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Dude read the book.

Return to “Art & Modelling”