Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 261

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by AF »

Not the same
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spring/video.avi

(ffdshow, in case you were wondering, AF)

I guess it's pretty obvious what the idea behind this is.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Very cool!

Next I want to see Z-style driver sniping ;)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

FLOZi wrote:http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spring/video.avi

...yes.
Yes!
YES!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wonderful, good sir! You will be a celebrated figure! Your legend will never die!

Nice job!
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

MidKnight wrote:
FLOZi wrote:http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spring/video.avi

...yes.
Yes!
YES!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Wonderful, good sir! You will be a celebrated figure! Your legend will never die!

Nice job!
I should point out that they aren't actually stuck together right now; though I've done that previously with other units. There are a few different ways of doing it, I'm still mulling over which is the best method for what I want to achieve. I just did it this way quickly so I could use the existing unit_hilite widget to test how feasible targeting the pieces would be. :wink:
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

cool idea,
so i assume it will be possible that the tank couldnt drive anymore (chains broken coz of evil monster nazi zombies) but its still able to shoot?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

AF, your the only one who cant, or doesnt want to open these videos.
It takes me exactly 1 click to open it, and it doesnt even navigate away from the page. Set up your system to autoplay videos you download and stop pushing useless stuff (since you cant embed it into forum anyway <thank god>)

flozi: how do you handle the separate hitspheres?
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

I figured out why he wants to use the intertubes sites. I am on a mac right now and I couldnt open the vids. lol sucks for u AF.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Beherith wrote:AF, your the only one who cant, or doesnt want to open these videos.
It takes me exactly 1 click to open it, and it doesnt even navigate away from the page. Set up your system to autoplay videos you download and stop pushing useless stuff (since you cant embed it into forum anyway <thank god>)

Box collision volumes, layered like a cake. I'm having difficulties with getting weapons to not just 'hit' all three at once though, even with minimal collisionSize and AoE :regret:
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

You could enable the (so far unused, AFAIK) per-piece collision detection system on each of the units-acting-as-pieces for more fine-grained control over that aspect.
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

Beherith wrote:AF, your the only one who cant, or doesnt want to open these videos.

why not just upload, the more videos of spring are on youtube the better the promotion...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Obv never read my posts explaining why I suggest youtube etc, I'm perfectly capable of downloading and viewing the videos without youtube, but this does not change my stance. One reason being jeykeys post
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Kloot wrote:You could enable the (so far unused, AFAIK) per-piece collision detection system on each of the units-acting-as-pieces for more fine-grained control over that aspect.
I dabbled with that and it didn't seem to help much. Also there appears to be a bug with it in alt+b mode, if it gets hit once it stays red so you can't tell easily if subsequent hits, hit. Isn't there a performance concern of using that on a large number of units? Oh, also, the bounding box for each piece also bounds all of its children, so the bounding box of the root piece bounds the whole model, is that intentional? What difference is there then to just having a single bounding box?

I have it working nicely enough with a LaserCannon weapon (infantry anti-tank rifle) but Cannon weapons seems to always trigger at least the part next to the one hit, if not all three.

EDIT: Nevermind, impactOnly tag fixed that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

http://flozi.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/spring/video2.avi

The second shot hits the tracks when it should hit the hull, but that is due to inaccuracy of current S44 weapons, the important part is that only the piece that is hit is taking damage.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

FLOZi wrote: Also there appears to be a bug with it in alt+b mode, if it gets hit once it stays red so you can't tell easily if subsequent hits, hit.
Thanks, I'd forgotten to fix that. It happens because the last-hit piece is never reset.
Isn't there a performance concern of using that on a large number of units?
There is; it would probably be too expensive if those tanks are anything like *A Flash in spammability. (Note: so far I haven't done any large-scale profiling runs.)
Oh, also, the bounding box for each piece also bounds all of its children, so the bounding box of the root piece bounds the whole model, is that intentional? What difference is there then to just having a single bounding box?
Intentional. Models can vary a lot in piece-tree complexity and since the root piece is only guaranteed to bound all of its children for a model's default pose, I thought it was better to leave disabling collision detection for the root and/or other pieces (which can be done via the SetUnitPieceCollisionVolumeData Lua callout) to the discretion of game devs.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Hmm, but it is not just the root piece, the turret on that tank for example bounds the barrel and the AAMG. I could disable it via lua, but can I resize it to bound the turret but not the children? Also the wiki only mentions SetUnitCollisionVolumeData, not a per-piece call, so I didn't realise this was possible. :mrgreen:

Anyway, it's not really needed for what I'm doing currently.. :-)

Are there performance implications wrt collisionVolumeTest=1?
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

What do you think of this?

More Views
http://img20.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=agrof.png
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

mmmh, idea is quiet good. but u have too much details on the round parts (knee, gun), lower them to a cylinder with 8 edges, also some parts look to blocky. and keep in mind, that somebody has to make ur animations. u should look for the work of smoth, he made brilliant bots for his gundam mod
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

lol

40k terminator with a tommygun
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

oksnoop2 wrote:What do you think of this?

*img snipped*

More Views
http://img20.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=agrof.png
It's a good start and shows that you're working hard, but it's really obvious that it's a bunch of primitives that have been stretched... even if that isn't what you did, it's what it looks like. Too many pieces are just simple bricks, making it look like it was built out of Lego Technic.

And the knees are a colossal waste of polygons. In general, this level of jagged detail is wasteful unless you're making a huge model.

Return to “Art & Modelling”