Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 335

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by Forboding Angel »

Karl wrote:Hurr...

I know the textures doesnt look that great but i am not an artist either
May I suggest legos? http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22283
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

@Forboding Angel: Well actually i want to have the similar style of KKnD and not something that goes far of the world but i dint meant to be rude.
Edit: On second thought i could use it for the Yellow-Silly-Illy-bean
Robots. Thanks! But the mod isn't that far. I am busy with Survivors stuff

@KaiserJ: About the firework I personally dislike to use commercial stuff to create my content since there gives also great works with free programms.
But thanks for your kindness :D
depending on the model complexity i modeled it takes about averga
almost half of the day! alone just for texturring and optimizing UV-Coords, it looks like a mess but atleast it looks good somewhat

knorke wrote: scheisse ist so bargeld!
If shit would be the new Money the insolvence would be mourderos , everyone could printing it e.g ,,Pressing"
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

much nicer now that you have a texture on everything!

well, i see now why it looks a bit strange to my eyes; it's a matter of pixel aspect... on some parts of the model, the pixels are "large" because your uv coords are on a smaller scale, and in other parts you get the opposite effect.

so just a few tips from me, hopefully i can help you a bit with the process.

- most people use an "auto-unwrap" as a starting point for their uvmap. this ensures that the coordinates maintain their aspect, and via automatic packing, you can end up with a pretty decent layout.

- use mirroring! in the lower right hand side of your texture, you have 8 4-sided shapes, and in the upper right, 5 yellow squares. if you were to drag the uv coordinates and align them to eachother, you could have just made a single texture area, rather than multiples.

anyways, just a few things to think about, but i would definitely suggest using blenders auto unwrapping, even if you just load the model right back into wings to do everything else... it'll probably save you an hour or two of work right there!

hope everything made sense. you've got a good basis of skill and an eye for design, every model you make for the next 10 or so will be orders of magnitude better than the last.

(oh and just one more thing, i almost feel like the model would look nicer with a brown/tan color instead of the yellow :D but ofc its up to you)

edit: this was all "nitpicking". your building will look fine ingame at a normal playing distance
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Oh thanks for you Protips.

*Uhh i dont know where to find "auto-unwrap" in wings i am using the Segment-By function.

*Yeah i should have done that.

*Hm Tan one yes i could do that, and it took me from morning thilll to evening to finish it! Unholy Shit!

*also since the mod is in pre-alpha stage it will be improved
anyway, just that the RL hits me hard and i got only enough time in Holiday please dont ask me why
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

get blender for the auto unwrap, wings doesnt have it (sorry, wasnt very clear there)

and no worries dude, rome wasn't built in a day ;)
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

KaiserJ wrote:get blender for the auto unwrap, wings doesnt have it (sorry, wasnt very clear there)
Hurr oke maybe
KaiserJ wrote: and no worries dude, rome wasn't built in a day ;)
But God maked the World in 7 Days! or 6
And i am very VERY JEALOUS ABOUT IT! AHHHH!!!
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

its worth it i'd say... trying to do a uvmap manually for a complicated model like that would be like shovelling snow with a spoon!

heh i took off early today to watch champions league :) most of the time im busy too
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

KaiserJ wrote:get blender for the auto unwrap, wings doesnt have it
Yes it does. Has had it ever since I started using it like 3 or 4 years ago anyway.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

hmm my bad

ye sorry about that; i knew wings did uvmapping, but not auto stuff to the degree i see in the tutorial videos.

to clarify, i normally do something called "flatten mapping" which breaks the model apart into individual faces, then use stitching to attach them together again... seems to keep the pixel aspect nicely
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

screen00100.png
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Hurr showing a little battle and the progress of it

I will make a thread in Thursday or so.

Yes i know the tank texture sucks more balls
but it was a crash course for me took me a almost a whole day to get it straight with lots of help from Lord Muffe.
Thanks!

Edit: uhh i think i am blind where do find auto-unwrapp? On Wings3D (i know stupid question)
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Looks petty cool. Who's the little mech off to the side?
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

An Grunt using the Marine from Excess it is only a template will be replaced
romulous

Post by romulous »

Key Karl, I just found a portfolio with all the 3D models from KKnD. http://www.coroflot.com/zygo/KKND-2-3D

Looks like this fellow has possibly made them all at some point.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

this is some epic stuff romulus, thx for showing
Karl
Panzerstahl Developer

Post by Karl »

Some are nice but the Vertices/Poly is way too high and there isnt a download link

*They doesn't seem to be uv-mapped neither textured
that would take ages to texture them

*Some Buildings got weird modelled for example the Barracks

*The URL for Generals http://www.moddb.com/mods/kknd2-krossfire-remake
the model looks fine but i am not happy with some turret gun it looks weird for example the plasma cannon

*some units on KKnD Krossfire are horrible balanced for example the Artillery Gun Afaik it does hardly any damage to any Unit

*Is some one with the Russian language mighty?
http://www.redsys.ru/forum/index.php?sh ... 1738&st=60
i would like to know what is happening there since it seems that he is more active there

*Also the Machine Shop:
http://www.imagebanana.com/view/z1wgjqc8/shopper.png
i need suggestion on how to improve it and making it less dull looking should look like like from KKnD Image
Last edited by Karl on 03 Nov 2010, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Karl wrote:*Is some one with the Russian language mighty?
http://www.redsys.ru/forum/index.php?sh ... 1738&st=60
i would like to know what is happening there since it seems that he is more active there
Basically it's like so: some people ask what KKnD is and when the mod will be ready. Then someone replies that the mod is dead. Then LuCiFeR (mod author?) pops up and says the mod is not dead, and shows some new screens. Then he confirms that the mod is not dead one more time.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Karl:
nice you are still working on KKND.
i think the reason why your machine shop model looks a bit bland compared to the original is because the old game used high poly models then rendered as sprites and maybe more details added by pixel artists.
Now your 3D model has many plane surfaces and so with close zoom the feel is very different. The original also all these metalic pipe things going over the building what your model does not have.
I think with a good texture and the screenshot resized to 100x100 like the original sprites your model would look quite similiar.

It is just the 2D<->3D difference I think. When looking at the screenshots from the Generals mod, the game did not seem like KKND at all. Only when I saw some signature units (like the big tank thats also in the intro movie) i recognized it as kknd.

-
Does the miner currently use the centre of its depo to head towards it?
Yes. the position you get with GetUnitPosition (uID) which is usually the center of the hitbox I think (?)
Or can the the drop-off shape become more specific; for instance could a strip along the south side of the terrain occupied by the ship/building, be the drop off zone?
I have not tried yet but moving the drop-off shape should only be a bit of math. Of course miners would then have to be send into the shapes center instead of the unit center but thats also doable i guess. I am more worried about springs pathfinding. Well, resource collectors have behaved epicly stupid in EVERY game ever made so spring will not be the exception.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

My latest unit design. Cannon Man:

(large image)
(just gaining some attention hoping some will spill over to my programming problems)
:-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

:shock:
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

That is the second reference i got on this forum to that show. :-) And because i do flippin' love it, i will not worry about perhaps seeming less original.

Return to “Art & Modelling”