Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 4

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Disclaimer: Placeholder texture. But I made a good walk script for it.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

I see what you did there...

I think I recognize those pixels, mostly from having associated with alot of pixels in my time and from that angle
smoth

Post by smoth »

I am impressed. Great job man!
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Here is the walking animation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1O_ZC4EFns

I might make a separate animation for the front legs, with the knees bending forward. Or at least that was the original plan but I like how it looks with all knees backward, perfectly synced front and back does annoy me a little on the other hand. Maybe I'll try offsetting them 1 step and see if its better.
Last edited by Zpock on 01 Mar 2007, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
PuG

Post by PuG »

looking very good :)
Strategia

Post by Strategia »

I don't like it. It looks like the body is just floating along, and the legs look like an afterthought, anchoring the body to the ground to prevent it from floating away. Make it somewhat slower, have time between each leg's movement (i.e. move, wait, move other, wait, move other, wait.....), have the body rock a bit, and make the movement somewhat more staggered. Look at the AT-ATs in SW:EpV for a good example.

That said, I do feel it has potential, and is a very good start and a very good platform to refine from.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

those models are nice, whats the mod?
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

some sort of modified EE atm, I can tell by the corpses.. although that stuff has potential.. it is nice work..
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Yes EE is in the background as a convenient way of getting all the random stuff for a mod to run at all. Don't worry about that i will get rid of it soon... compressing is annoying hehe

Im not announcing any details about the mod yet, much is undecided etc.
Fanger

Post by Fanger »

I dont honestly mind, I just found it amusing... Just flicked to the picture and I was like DUDE GIANT COOL WALKER.. hey wait are those my corpses..? :?
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Strategia wrote:I don't like it. It looks like the body is just floating along, and the legs look like an afterthought, anchoring the body to the ground to prevent it from floating away. Make it somewhat slower, have time between each leg's movement (i.e. move, wait, move other, wait, move other, wait.....), have the body rock a bit, and make the movement somewhat more staggered. Look at the AT-ATs in SW:EpV for a good example.

That said, I do feel it has potential, and is a very good start and a very good platform to refine from.
Yes these are good points I have been considering them all. Some sort of body movement would definitely make it much more convincing. Of course TA animation scripting is not the most convenient thing to do on the unit... I have found some methods that work (including much stupid manual stuff that should be done by some plugin...), will definitly try to develop them further.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

The main body should move and pitch up and down a tiny bit while it's walking...other than that, niiice animation.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Just wait until it climbs a steep slope. Can the body bend in the middle? If so then it's not that much trouble to make it move along slopes.

Good job, though. Making good animations is difficult.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Wait, can you get the height/slope at different points other then the center in the script?
Just wait until it climbs a steep slope. Can the body bend in the middle? If so then it's not that much trouble to make it move along slopes.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Add an empty object in the center of the front feet and rear feet. You now can get the slope angle from each point to an object with it's origin at 0,0,0 and turn the body. I assume that the body consists of two objects (split in the center).

It's also possible to detect wether a unit turns left or right. Might be cool to see the unit turn it's front body.
http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtop ... 349#133349

Also you can orientate the feet to the groundlevel by adding another two objects to each foot, one at each end. Then you can get the slope angle (through ground height) between the two points and turn the foot accordingly.

I'd limit the angle to some value though, or it may look weird when it stumbles over deformed terrain with insane slope.
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Ah I want to make CNC3 mammoth tank like tank tracks, but didn't think it was possible...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Hmm it is but needs a lot of good scripting to make it look convincing.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Muahahahahah!
Last edited by Snipawolf on 19 Apr 2007, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Zpok, that walker is really neat.

It just needs more guns. Everything needs more guns. Nothing has enough guns. Nothing, I tell yoU!
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Guess what kind of unit this will be?
Texture stolen from the upspring peewee as usual. When all or most units are modeled and in game I'm starting on the textures. 10 units and 8 structures x2 sides. Not many, but as you can see I'm going more for uniqueness and quality.

Return to “Art & Modelling”