Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 342

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by AF »

Theyre normalmapped

Oh and your discerning eye failed to fix the floating missile tower
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

BA where's waldo?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

normalmap was my first guess, but...

well dont get me wrong, but it looks like i expected to be after reading thread in general discussion. results are not rly worth ur time, coz of fugly models. (nooo, im not troling, im sorryyy)

---
also, seriously, whats this building under core com ? :D
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

You replaced/edited the textures?
luckywaldo7

Post by luckywaldo7 »

As much as I am a fan of getting TA content out of the engine, that is the best I have ever seen that old stuff looking.

Don't suppose you can describe your conversion process in a thread or wiki somewhere?
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Really cool & shiny!
But many shadows of units seem a bit misplaced, like they're too far to the right and leave an area of light between hte unit and shadow. Any idea why, though I don't play w shadows on so I don't know how it usually is.

And it's floating traget facility
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

manolo_ wrote:so i assume that its a dummy-mod that exports the features in a new map-file or how is it working? im just asking, i have no itention in making a map
No it is a gamemode. You build features onto the map and then export a list containing everything that you did.
hoijui
Former Engine Dev

Post by hoijui »

they look reddish to me.

the map... niiice! :D
i guess the water is there primarily to not have ugly borders without having to use smoke (which is very slow on many(all?) systems); not to be able to use ships there.
am looking forward to see games on that. can't hurt to have very nice map with a different concept!
i am also sure it will be at least used a lot by noobs playing against AI, cause they love to have porc-choke-points.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Kaiser was a latecomer, but definitely welcome...

Attachments
screen00070.png
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 2 times
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

oh my gawd
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Looks great, both visually and geographically.
Have you already got a resource layout figured, mexes, wind, tidals?, and the features? If theres rocks scattered randomly all over the place it might be best to make them not give them too much emphasis in the gameplay.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Johannes wrote:Looks great, both visually and geographically.
Have you already got a resource layout figured, mexes, wind, tidals?, and the features? If theres rocks scattered randomly all over the place it might be best to make them not give them too much emphasis in the gameplay.
Yes the metal layout is under development. Im planning to make patches with detailtextures, which gives the possibility to turn them off with mapoptions. So everyone will be happy and I dont have to make separate version with metal and non metal patches.

reclaimability of features are still under consideration. At least they should not give any extra resources... I'd leave out the features for the sake of gameplay, but on the other hand, the map feels now just too empty without them. They fit in very nicely.

Tidal is a bit tricky aswell. I want to include water and fog here. Fog is covering the edges and leaving space in middle so that water comes out nicely and creates oasis feeling. Yet however, I made typemap to block movement in gorges and surrounding area. I was thinking of adding water damage to prevent all possible exploits, but im not yet sure of this.

The concept creates many problems indeed. All-terrain units could very easily exploit it, so typemap is necessary. Map Is already pretty op for air bombings, but since theres tiny choke points, and porcy main base, I see this is just a good thing...
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

I'd think typemap isn't needed, even if you can transport units to the water area or just walk allterrain there (I presume the water's shalow enough to move in), that shouldn't really bring much complications - what's the advantage of going to such spot? A possible allterrain attack from that angle should suit an allterrain units role nicely. Well bringing aa down there seems sensible in some cases, but it'd be an interesting twist imo, rather than something to remove.
A low water damage (1-5 or something) could be cool, do what you want down there, but it comes with a cost.
Having tidals have usable strength would seem a tacky though, since they can't be scouted or attacked by anything but air.

If players can figure out how some rare units or tactics can best exploit use a maps features I don't think it's a bad thing :)
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Here is the metal layout candidate. Feel free to express your opinions or make one if you like...

Greens are geos...

Attachments
metallayout.jpg
(197.5 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Johannes wrote:I'd think typemap isn't needed, even if you can transport units to the water area or just walk allterrain there (I presume the water's shalow enough to move in), that shouldn't really bring much complications - what's the advantage of going to such spot? A possible allterrain attack from that angle should suit an allterrain units role nicely. Well bringing aa down there seems sensible in some cases, but it'd be an interesting twist imo, rather than something to remove.
A low water damage (1-5 or something) could be cool, do what you want down there, but it comes with a cost.
Having tidals have usable strength would seem a tacky though, since they can't be scouted or attacked by anything but air.

If players can figure out how some rare units or tactics can best exploit use a maps features I don't think it's a bad thing :)
Ability to move in surrounding area and through gorges kinda breaks the whole concept as some mods, CA and Evo for instance, have all-terrain units in tech level 1. That makes the battles in plateaus unneeded as you can dodge the enemy whenever you want...
Johannes

Post by Johannes »

Doesn't really break it, just changes it a little. By land is still the most direct attack path and where all the resources are at. So most battles would take place there by necessity, non-climbing units still are threatening to an allterrain player. Impossible to say how beneficial (or more importantly, how interesting) allterrain units would be in those games without intimate game knowledge/testing though.
Anyway I'd rather just discourage it than totally disallow - either small damage that you can bear for a while, or a typemap that merely slows movement in water.

Edit:Oh and that mex layout seems good, though I'd spread the ones on starting areas a bit more so you can't make them with comm as easily without walking much, and aren't as compact to defend. And with such tight density of them, might be good to have them of a pretty low output, ~1,5m? or such in BA. Then it's harder to just cap them asap without worries.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

ahhh lovely :D
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SirArtturi wrote:Ability to move in surrounding area and through gorges kinda breaks the whole concept as some mods, CA and Evo for instance, have all-terrain units in tech level 1. That makes the battles in plateaus unneeded as you can dodge the enemy whenever you want...
Oh noes all terrains might sometimes get to use their all-terrainnness! Quick this much be patched asap! :regret:
Argh

Post by Argh »

Looks great, can't wait to see it completed :-)
knorke

Post by knorke »

i heard you like turtles so i made one thats really small, stuck in the ground and has floating legs. :shock:

Return to “Art & Modelling”