Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 351

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Wombat

Re: Random WIP

Post by Wombat »

first of all, im shocked how much time u spent clicking everywhere at the very beginning without actually changing anything in model ;X wings sux !1!!1
secondly, i just adore they way all these pieces of unit fall off, u can easly remove health bars now :D

omfgzor ive seen carpet!!
knorke

Post by knorke »

In the beginning i am clicking around so much because I am thinking about what the model should look like.
Then I look at it some more to see if I really want to put it ingame.
The real time sink is Upspring, the model is never rotated correct and then you fix it and change some piece hierarchy and then its all wrong again. :shock:

omg where?
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i mean after finishing model, i find wings uvmapping very slow. anyway, looks great, cant wait for more ^^
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wombat wrote:X wings sux !1!!1
one user's workflow does not determine the usefulness of a tool.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

umm, my opinion is not based on this one replay >>
smoth

Post by smoth »

I have used blender, wings and max each for at least a month before settling on wings.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

what it got to do with my opinion about wings ?
smoth

Post by smoth »

X sux.

not

for me x sux.

Is where I disagree, you are not the final authority, don't be so absolute.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i dont like wings, uvmapping takes way longer than in blender, i dont need to be authority to give opinion :D
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Wings has much better UV mapping tools than blender, you just need to know how to use them.

Wings is well organised, and easy to use. Blender is a mess.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Wombat wrote:i dont like wings, uvmapping takes way longer than in blender, i dont need to be authority to give opinion :D
I found blender to have the weakest tools of the three, have there been any recent advances with blender's uv mapping tools? might be time for me to re-re-reevaluate blender! :)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Try the beta, 2.5 it offers smart unwrapping, making seams at edges with angle measures greater than a set value! (2.49 also had this, but it was semi/kinda/mostly broken and had a scary config screen)

Also, (you probably knew this, but) you can make seams and manually uv part of a model, 'pin' those UVs in place, then select all and hit smart uv, and it will perform the smart UV only on the unpinned parts. It's pretty neat! :-)
Hobo Joe

Post by Hobo Joe »

Just going to point out that Blender has some of the most advanced UV mapping in the 3D industry and that a very large portion of professional artists will transfer their work to Blender to UV map it rather than using maya/max/modo/softimage etc.

I mean everyone has opinions and I can't comment on wings because I've never used it, but to say Blender's is weak and unorganized just sounds pretty ignorant tbh.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

SpikedHelmet wrote: btw Kaiser and Picasso I literally have no idea what either of you just said...
It was sort of a sick injoke on the problem, that many world war mods try to be as accurate as anything on the tanks and technology, and forget about the men, the HI-Story that keeps such wars going. Watch Band of Brothers, and try to not see on the guns, uniforms, try to see on the disturbing social game of group pressure and semi-family that is part of a war. Its unfair to ask a RTS to simulate such (and i know that moral as ressource has failed utterly in some games) still this point stands.

My suggestion: A sort of Theaterwidget, witch creates in midgame, small quests between the fronts, one at a time, and rewards you if you fullfill them.
Tank with destroyed chain, under pyrosiege? Save it.
Wounded soldier, bleeding to death. Save it.
Crashed Plane? Capture it.
Courier&Spy, kill them, before they reach enemy line.
Hidden Ammunitiondepot, behind enemy lines. Blow it.

For more Inspiration, watch more warmovies, the benefits are yours, your opponent could gain bonuses by defending the questtarget without ever knowing what it actually is.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Hoi wrote:Wings has much better UV mapping tools than blender, you just need to know how to use them.
and other similiar postings:
zomg give hints please.
FireStorm_

Post by FireStorm_ »

knorke wrote:clicki di click for full video feat. random xta noob game
Cool, and blocky logo made me :-) .
knorke

Post by knorke »

uploaded again with different music because youtube blocked first one. wtf. i think next time i will just put some random local grindcore cellar bands music so it does not get flagged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCTEUfkkxKo
thesleepless

Post by thesleepless »

Yes, I've used quite a few modelling tools and I must say even old blender is one of the best when it comes to UV mapping if you can drag yourself past the learning curve of the interface. Try some youtube tutorials.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

3DS Max ftw

bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

spiked..... what no rivets? no bevels? you can add a lot more polies on that thing.

Return to “Art & Modelling”