Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 277

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Argh

Re: Random WIP

Post by Argh »

Great stuff, Bob. One teeny thought on that Mech; it's awesome, but I think it'd be even more awesome if the guns were lopsided, size-wise (thinking width, not so much length). Just a random thought.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Argh wrote:Great stuff, Bob. One teeny thought on that Mech; it's awesome, but I think it'd be even more awesome if the guns were lopsided, size-wise (thinking width, not so much length). Just a random thought.
please explain, better.

Attachments
tanker.jpg
(21.35 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
strato.jpg
(22.92 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Pxtl wrote:iirc, the only problem with N-vertex faces is you're telling the video card to tesselate it into the triangles however it sees fit. So that means you can flip a coin to see which way the edge dividing the 4-sided polygon is cut. If the face is only minimally non-planar or will look good with either cut, it really isn't worth worrying about. The only real problems will occur is when you've got a massively non-planar face, where it would look completely different (and worse) if the tesselation of it were different from how it's rendered in your modeling app.
The software does the tessellation, to import the model into Spring you have to triangulate it anyway.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

So in other words, there is no difference at all between a non-planar quad and two triangles in terms of how it will appear in engine.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Why any one would import a FPS detailed pistol into spring is beyond me.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

Argh wrote:Great stuff, Bob. One teeny thought on that Mech; it's awesome, but I think it'd be even more awesome if the guns were lopsided, size-wise (thinking width, not so much length). Just a random thought.
I think he means you currently have them taller than they are wide, and he thinks they should be wider than they are tall.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

SanadaUjiosan wrote:
I think he means you currently have them taller than they are wide, and he thinks they should be wider than they are tall.
I'm pretty sure he means that one gun should be "heavier" or wider than the other, not that they should be wider than they are tall.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

bobthedinosaur wrote:Why any one would import a FPS detailed pistol into spring is beyond me.
It is in no way related to spring and was just an example to explain my point.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Pxtl wrote:So in other words, there is no difference at all between a non-planar quad and two triangles in terms of how it will appear in engine.
It's not clear which way it will divide.
Argh

Post by Argh »

For production purposes in practically any major engine, it is wisest to convert to triangles as a final step, and correct any welding errors that show up. Das Bruce is correct; you will not know which three points will get used per triangle until the quad is converted, and this may cause unexpected final results.

This should not ever result in invalid triangles or corrupt geometry, but it's quite possible to see errors such as displacement breaking welding, etc. in some extreme cases when you convert. I remember a model somebody sent me for a past project, where the renders looked fabulous, but the model had triangles that were loose from the main mesh on close inspection, and ofc the results in-game were horrid- "flashing" from broken seams, shadow errors, etc. The poor guy had quad-modeled it but used the wrong settings when meshing to triangles.

I really can't believe that you guys are arguing about such a triviality, though. It's rare to see these problems, except in cases where you have extreme angles, and rarer still to see serious problems with the verts in today's modeling software.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

here is a plane.
Attachments
c5rear.jpg
(29.2 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
cf.jpg
(32 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
ceriph.jpg
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

bobthedinosaur wrote:here is a plane.
I'm jealous.. this looks excellent. May I see the wireframe?
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

Attachments
wirec5.jpg
(91.59 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

Thanks, what I was really interested in how you managed to make the body of the plane so smooth, along with the head. My planes always turn out to be crappy or blocky.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

you create a few cubes and cylinders, hit the smoth button and THEN... then the magic smooth fairy (in a pink dress) comes over, sits on your lap, and does what's left.. and right

well actually start from a subdivided cube and offset edges bit by bit till it looks alright
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

OMG a giant level 3 plane, eating trucks and shits lightning- that could be from me :shock: :o
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

rattle wrote:Image
Btw Rattle do you have any projects going on? Want to join Damned? No need to be quick or hardworking :D just join and lets brainstorm together and try not to fight too much... How sounds it?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

got nothing going on... sounds good to me
I think I've got you on msn
Masse
Damned Developer

Post by Masse »

rattle wrote:got nothing going on... sounds good to me
I think I've got you on msn
PM'd you :) I removed all my Spring friends cause I thought that I would never be nerdy again that was years ago :D I can't stop being nerd because that's who I am :) Lesson learned now I embrace the nerdiness in me!

Return to “Art & Modelling”