Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 257

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

AF
AI Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by AF »

but do you know WHY?

The reason why is very beneficial to you right now, but in the past whenever I have advocated its use, I have been laughed at.

Shape
Contrast
Size

What people here talk about when they relate to these issues, is contrast, and purely contrast. They totally ignore size and shape. They also focus on only one or 2 types of contrast, colour contrast and luminosity, aka black and white.

This is why most icon sets in spring are horribly inefficient, and its why EE has had more threads about redesigning the icons and arguments than all the other topics combined.

CA spherebots, and CA ships, excel at varying size and shape, which more than makes up for their contrast, which some already consider quite good even though its a controversial subject.

My point?

It doesnt matter what texturing they have as long as it stands out from the terrain, they already make good use of size and shape variation.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

ImageA bit bright (and small), and i havent matched crems style perectly, but not bad. Should be better with the reflection map (thats where most of the blue in the other models is coming from, and the brighter eyes). Might still need more edits.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

it also needs to be darker and more contrasty, but, all in all, nice job! :-)
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

Finally got my PC in order again, this is a long overdue texture job for the Krow model I did a while back :)
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in CA! :-)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Can the guns on the top even reach the targets it'll have to shoot at?
jeykey

Post by jeykey »

MidKnight wrote:That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it in CA! :-)
+1
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

It should be ok as it will tilt to get a better shot with the turrets, but I'll have a play around with the gun position and the turret heights to see if I can improve the pitch range.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

I'm having nightmares just thinking about trying to script those turrets without it looking like ass. I hope you like trig.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

im sorry last i checked CA was about bad art design, and had nothing to do with telling units apart from a distance. that was made clear when arm kbots was reduced down to 1 unit.

And yes those ships look the same.
MR.D

Post by MR.D »

I don't mean to be a jerk, but that Krow model looks kinda bizarre and not something you would expect to see flying, if you put a stick on the middle of it then it would more closely resemble a garden tool for tilling..

It really needs to look meaner and more streamlined, its texture and design isn't bad but it doesn't really resemble an aircraft or the CORE look.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

MR.D wrote:I don't mean to be a jerk, but that Krow model looks kinda bizarre and not something you would expect to see flying, if you put a stick on the middle of it then it would more closely resemble a garden tool for tilling..

It really needs to look meaner and more streamlined, its texture and design isn't bad but it doesn't really resemble an aircraft or the CORE look.
well, imo that model looks sweet. fyi mr. D, if you look at ca's other units there is no "core look". its all kind of a mishmash of individually awesome looking (well some look like crap) units that dont contribute to an overall style. If it makes you feel better they renamed it to Nogos or something like that.
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

Whilst you're right it doesn't resemble a typical aircraft, that is because it isn't a typical aircraft. The Krow is incredibly slow, unwieldy and soaks up a lot of damage - comparable to some ground units. These are not typical traits of aircraft.

I've designed this to hint that the gunship is indeed slow, and heavily armoured, if I were to make it sleek as you suggest it would imply that it's capable of high speed.

I've got a bit more to do on this though, I'm not entirely happy with the team colour at the moment.
Master-Athmos

Post by Master-Athmos »

@Mr. D:
I agree with you and KDR imo also made a valid point with the gun aiming. There's a "but" though because with this model sort of following the Spherebot-style this might not fit to the Core or Logos or whatever the faction's name now was but as CA seems to change to a one faction game (not sure but everybody talks about it and I wouldn't surprise as total gameplay changes in CA had happened before too) you can see it from another perspective. The unit probably fits into that role although I still wouldn't call it a "Krow" but rather the CA universe replacement meant for its model...
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

Try semitransparent teamcolor. It tends to improve the look quite a bit.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

At first I thought it was a mine, then I thought it was a building, then I read that it was supposed to be a krow.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

If you have any complaints about Sak's latest Cremuss texture, I am equally to blame for not completing the ship texture and having to back out of my commitment there.

New side teaser for Spring: 1944! This is a StuG III, but can you guess which side this is?

Texture by me, Model by Spiked, UV by Spiked.

EDIT: Revised Heavily... See Far Right.

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

NEEDS MOAR PRESHADING.

Nice model and panel lines, though. :-)
MergeNine

Post by MergeNine »

V Nice :) It could use slightly darker greebles though. Is it for the Germans?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Too obvious, my guess is the Romanians.

Return to “Art & Modelling”