Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 232

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

wilbefast

Re: Random WIP

Post by wilbefast »

maackey wrote:wilbefast: Wow. :shock: That is your first model? color me impressed.
Third model after Fugly and the Cube - bear in mind that it took me a very long time: hopefully I'll get faster :?
BTW - I know you weren't actually asking me, but I'm going to use a similar system to Azaremoth for licensing: all code is up for grabs, models and textures can be used provided that you get my permission and give credit.
smoth wrote:looks good now get it in game.

since you are working free form without others influencing your artistic direction I suggest going ahead and getting the texture done and get it in game. worst comes to worst you can always make it an expensive unit later on to reduce how many of them are on screen.
I've got the cube in game now, re-modelled, re-textured and even partially scripted :-)
I hope to get the horse done this weekend.
Pxtl wrote:Listen to Smoth - the first thing to remember: this is an RTS. You have to make a farktonne of units.

If a unit looks half decent, the correct response is NEXT!

Skin it and stick a fork in it, and make note of the criticisms for the next one.
Good point... I wasn't altogether happy with the cube's new textures, but it looks fine in game, so who cares?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

looks great, willbe!

i'd suggest, since you've taken a long time to work on this model; re-use as much of it as you can in subsequent models... for instance the hands are really nice, you could probably drop them into another model and save yourself a ton of time.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

wilbefast wrote:BTW - I know you weren't actually asking me, but I'm going to use a similar system to Azaremoth for licensing: all code is up for grabs, models and textures can be used provided that you get my permission and give credit.
and what happens if in 6 months time you move on/find another hobby/get hit by a bus? your models then become unusable because people cannot get a hold of you to request permission. And what is your stance on modifying?[/devils advocate]
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

Pressure Line wrote:and what happens if in 6 months time you move on/find another hobby/get hit by a bus? your models then become unusable because people cannot get a hold of you to request permission. And what is your stance on modifying?[/devils advocate]
Hmmm :|

Well if I move on I'll make everything free to use by default, but then there's this bus problem :?
I suppose everything should be free to use and modify from the beginning, but I *do* want people to at least *try* to get permission, and certainly I want credit for my work. Also I don't want anyone making money off something I'm doing for free - that's just not cricket.

Whatever the case mod files aren't exactly locked: you can always open them even if you don't have permission, provided you know how, so anything I say is tenuous at best...
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

CC-BY-NC (Creative Commons - Attribution [credit] - Non-Commercial) is more or less what you're looking for. There are no free licenses that require permission (afaik)

Anyway, less licensing, MOAR ARTZ!
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We could always write our own licenses. More Arts.
Tribulex
A.N.T.S. Developer

Post by Tribulex »

Otherside wrote:pokeball-bot always makes me lol
+1
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

pressure : i think what im going to do (beyond sharing as i said i would)will be the equivalent of a safety deposit box.... a stipulation for ALL of my art to be released to the general spring public if i haven't posted on the forums for 3 or 4 months. (evo stuff will become property of forb.)

you raise a good point though, im sure there's a ton of work out there done by people who maybe got discouraged or distracted by other things.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Been working on a few things for meridian.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

neddiedrow wrote:We could always write our own licenses. More Arts.
There is also AL2.0 which I know KR uses.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Those wepons look good overkill!

I've started a new unit for the bears... this time their heavy tank...

On the AO one its been smothed a few times, so I include the actully ingame un-smothed one to.
beartank1.jpg
beartank1.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
beartank2.jpg
beartank2.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 2745 times

(Look I didn't sign off....)
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

cool tank, nice details

let a bear be the driver and look out of the hatch :)
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

I really like your art style aGorm, very distinct :-)

I've been stalking your posts for more information about these cyber-bears - when are you going to release some information about the mod? I can only think of the Tediz from Conker's Bad Fur day...
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

?

Come to think of it. the resemblance is only passing. Still, "I'll have a pwndog with awesomesauce."
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

aGorm im not sure whether to hug you or pull the top off your skull and feast on the wonders within.

excellent work!

are those shadows from using that GL preshader utility thingamabob?
overkill

Post by overkill »

Thank you aGorm!

Your tank can only be described as orgasmic.
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

Pressure Line wrote: (Warhammer)?

Come to think of it. the resemblance is only passing. Still, "I'll have a pwndog with awesomesauce."
Yeah, he's really captured that over-the-top, borderline cartooniness that gives Warhammer models so much aesthetic appeal even though they're very small. I mean seriously, that tank looks like it could drive through a block of flats without slowing down. Caricaturing is really important in RTSs - this is what gives Blizzard units so much personality!

Image > Image

The Red Alert 2 marine may have the correct proportions, but he's less interesting to look at than the ogre.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

wilbefast wrote:Image > Image

The Red Alert 2 marine may have the correct proportions, but he's less interesting to look at than the ogre.
"He did it!" "No he did it!"
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Thanks guys, glad you like...
manolo_ wrote:let a bear be the driver and look out of the hatch :)
Unfortunatly the bear parts take up quite a bit of UV space to look any good, and I can't really afford it seeing as this moddel is much bigger than teh mech and the buggie... so teh hatch is gonna stay down.
Pressure Line wrote:Warhammer...
Yes I used to have quite a lot of that and I did basicly nick the tracks stright from warhammer...
KaiserJ wrote:are those shadows from using that GL preshader utility thingamabob?
Nope, there off the wings Dev buld, which can do basic AO pretty well.
wilbefast wrote:I've been stalking your posts for more information about these cyber-bears - when are you going to release some information about the mod? I can only think of the Tediz from Conker's Bad Fur day...
Soooon... I just working on a website and some other bits, and then I will give more info on what I'm up to.

aGor..... wait.... yep, the urge is over.
wilbefast

Post by wilbefast »

aGorm wrote:they're off the wings Dev buld, which can do basic AO pretty well.
I want!

Return to “Art & Modelling”