Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 199

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Argh

Re: Random WIP

Post by Argh »

Thanks! I am always needing "civilian" vehicles, buildings, and plants / fauna for World Builder, so making stuff like that available is just plain great :-)

One teensy request- next time, use a 256 skin, it'll make things like the panel lines come out a bit finer.

Here's the result, after normalmapping, etc., just a quickie. I'll probably redo the skin at 256 later, that's not a big deal. Click to enlarge.
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

That looks so nice. :shock:
A bus this time, sorry I still used 128 x 128. I didn't read that post until I came here. I'll make it bigger next time. I might have slacked a bit on this one.. or maybe it was kinda complicated..

School Bus

UV Map

It's on ModelBase.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

k now is the time to model some tanks
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

hamsate: smoothing doesn't look good (soft/hard edges)
Argh

Post by Argh »

ImageHaving some fun here. Finally got Lathan's 'shrooms ready for World Builder's current feature set, completed the Chicken K'vart (a very weird unit for a whacky gameplay idea I came up with the other day- it is a turret that gradually kills everything around it that isn't Chicken, sucking up resources in the process) and the Chicken Plasma Flower (which I need to make the leaves larger on, but meh).
knorke

Post by knorke »

Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Okay. Learning from the mistakes the first time around, I'm having another crack at the Grasshopper's texture. I'm using a 512x512 map this time, and the UVs are properly scaled.

Please note: the majority of those lines are just there to show where indents/panel lines are, and will probably be removed at some point. Think of them as a sketch, of sorts.
Early WIP, obviously

And a little texturing tip: Keep the UV-mapping window open. When texturing, it serves as a very nifty tool for figuring out which edges are shared and what part of the model that random bit of texture corresponds to. Made life much easier in doing the above)

And in other news...

Argh

Post by Argh »

@GMN: The Grasshopper looks fabulous.

Teeny suggestions:

1. You'll save a lot of time if you do your major preshading (i.e., lighten top surfaces) now.

2. If you're using an AO bake, make sure to go over it and exaggerate the results a bit more, to really bring out the shapes. That, and fix any borked parts- there always seem to be a few places, no matter which baking utility I use.

3. Use more layers to speed up production. Put your "paint" layer over the AO bake, and use Soft Light / Overlay to blend with the AO bake. Voila, instant lighting.

Then make final layer(s) for the panels, lights, reflection and grunge, so that making a normalmap / tex2 is easier later on. I keep a lot more layers now than I used to, simply to speed up the second and tertiary skinning tasks. It really helps- I can build tex2 and the normalmaps in maybe 20 minutes.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Looks awsome GMN...

Now.... if you could all not shoot me down and say "YOUR DOING IT WRONG!1!!1!"... (Not to say don't be critical, I would like to know what people think...)
cyfac_1.jpg
cyfac_1.jpg (20.32 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
cyfac_2.jpg
cyfac_2.jpg (26.43 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
cyfac_3.jpg
cyfac_3.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 2117 times
This is just the main fac and first unit for one of the sides... (The other side I won't be working on till I got the basics of this side down.)

aGorm
smoth

Post by smoth »

I love you in a hetero way
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

I love you in a bent way
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Look, all my old staff are back and working on their own projects, my fist is getting sore from shaking ;)

GMN, I still think you need to look at the macro layout for that mech; it's all just going to be a green blob from any reasonable viewing distance. You need to divide it up into readable sections that are distinctly different from one another, and then move into panelling and detailing.

aGorm, I love the weird sort of 60's scifipunk style you've got going there, really cool. You have to have big bursts of electricity sparking between those two coils ;)
pktm

Post by pktm »

@aGorm

This reminds me on kknd2 somehow.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

aGorm wrote:Looks awsome GMN...

Now.... if you could all not shoot me down and say "YOUR DOING IT WRONG!1!!1!"... (Not to say don't be critical, I would like to know what people think...)
cyfac_1.jpg
cyfac_2.jpg
cyfac_3.jpg
This is just the main fac and first unit for one of the sides... (The other side I won't be working on till I got the basics of this side down.)

aGorm
Don't know why but they seem tiny for some reason... like I'd expect these to be a race of invading self evolving nano-aliens I'd find if I put some green mold under a microscope...
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

someones been playing bioshoc
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Welll, I aint played bioshock, but I can see what you mean about the diving suit helmets...

(Yhe... they look small in those shots, I think because of the plane I put under everthing when I took the shot... gives a false sence of scale... :-) )

aGorm
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Teeheehee

MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

woah... that's psychedelic. :P

What does it mean?
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I means I made a ragdoll in HL2

(for reference, ragdoll are FIDDLY BASTARDS.)
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

This is for the game idea I had that I have no intention of ever implementing.

Concept Models:
Basic Human Male:
Basic Human Female:
Thunder Avatar:

Return to “Art & Modelling”