Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 197

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Hoi

Re: Random WIP

Post by Hoi »

Hamstate you can use bigger maps, it's ok :P

I'd use a 128*128 for that if it has a good uvmap. I suggest you try to improve the map and then retexture it on a 128*128.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

its a 128x128
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'm learning, but this is a work in progress, an Italian truck for 1944. Only about an hour of work. Yuritch and I are learning to work together, and at least I'm having a lot of fun with it. I'm going to bash on this and a redundant British model until I've neared Spiked's texturing ability so I can contribute in earnest.

As you can probably tell, I've merely filled the base texture and then moved into drawing lines and details like the windows and headlights. I need to change the UV Map to provide more space for the wood paneling and start over, but I think I learned a lot with this round.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Not bad neddy :mrgreen:

What happend to the thing above the wheels? It looks like something bad in the model, you should try to fix it.

Those lines are not really visible. You either turned the opacity down (make it about 100%), or you just did it too subtile, raise the contrast.

Wheels look nice, and the wood is ok too, but it can get better. The metal needs some scratches, wear and tear. And you should make the metal a bit blobby, that's what metal needs. Look for some tutorials.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

here is a drop ship for the blue team (1st infantry guy i showed)

Osprey inspired...
Attachments
eagle.jpg
(323.51 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

gunship for team blue (apache mutated)
Attachments
tomahawk.jpg
(631.25 KiB) Downloaded 596 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

those infantry need more preshading. the guns have it but they do not causing an imbalance in the texture
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

I have made a new model! :-) i've made a couple of models before and i think im getting better! i made this little red truck model:

Top View:

Bottom View:

Uv Map:

(ignore the back, that was the last bit and i was too lazy to fix cos i was incredibly bored by that point)

and yes.. i realise it is shit xD

i can make better models i just couldnt be bothered to make one which would take me all day to texture, just wanted one like the junkmobile :D that was awesome

edit: wow i didnt see hamsate had done a red truck also lol.. his is probably better than mine :P
Last edited by ChaosMonkey on 28 Jul 2009, 03:30, edited 2 times in total.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

blue team's IFV.

And yes, smoth. I'm not very good with the man textures, but I will be adding more details in later drafts.
Attachments
coyote.jpg
(179.23 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
hamsate

Post by hamsate »

KaiserJ wrote: for the windscreens i personally would use either pure black or a dark "oilslick" sort of texture, and then use the reflectivity channel to color the windscreen completely white; this will make it reflect the color of the sky and appear more natural.

when there is an exterior angle, give it a bit of extra brightness to indicate the dimensions and shape of the model
Thanks, I'll try to put everything I've learned and what you said into the next vehicle I try to texture. :-)

A side question, anyone know how to make your own dimensions for the texture size in Wings? Like 64 x 64?
Last edited by hamsate on 28 Jul 2009, 02:50, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

bobthedinosaur wrote:And yes, smoth. I'm not very good with the man textures, but I will be adding more details in later drafts.
It is all good man, We all have our weaknesses, for what it's worth, I thinking your vehicles are tight!
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

tank for blue team, its has a cannon in main mode, and in assault mode, it has a heavy laser from the big thing on the left (facing the front).
Attachments
trajan.jpg
(400.06 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
ChaosMonkey

Post by ChaosMonkey »

wow theres many lines on that thing. so much detail in the geometry makes it hard to picture what it would be like when textured...
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

*Randomly posts latest model*

knorke

Post by knorke »

just wondering, on the tank in the back some objects seem to intersect. will this cause problems in spring?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Yes and no. Due to Spring's currently-borked shadowmap rendering, this can cause "floating" issues with objects. Most of the time, it's fine, other than the texture space wasted on stuff that will never get seen.

In general, it's probably better to add more triangles than to cut through things, unless it's costing a lot more triangles than you're comfortable with (i.e., puts you well over budget). This can make things more difficult to model and map, though, so you have to balance the wasted texture space vs. your time as an artist.
bobthedinosaur
Blood & Steel Developer

Post by bobthedinosaur »

so i should be cutting precisely instead of craming objects through each other in quantum fluke?

Any ways, guess what SNES game this one is inspired from....
It will be the blue team's artillery support unit. Man is it going to be a pain UVing tho :\
Attachments
prometheus4.jpg
(744.94 KiB) Downloaded 181 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

just be sure to get these ingame and get something out otherwise I will have to hire out a ninja rape team to hunt down your anus.
manolo_

Post by manolo_ »

bob will u make a now mod, based on military from the near future?
Argh

Post by Argh »

so i should be cutting precisely instead of craming objects through each other in quantum fluke?
The best answer I can give is, "sometimes yes". And I can't say I've been following that advice much- usually I just cut through things and eat the texture space, it's faster.
Any ways, guess what SNES game this one is inspired from....
More like, "inspired by something that was inspired by Macross" hehe. Still damn cool. Nice model.

Return to “Art & Modelling”