Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 175

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Agon

Re: Random WIP

Post by Agon »

Hello,

to get a bit creative and away from coding I did simple concept design of a spaceship atm. named "destroyer" (yeah, I know not very creative).
Attachments
destroyer.png
Spaceship "destroyer" wip design concept
(112.52 KiB) Downloaded 663 times
smoth

Post by smoth »

pretty cool. but a bit abstract to tell what it will be.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The outer shape is nice but I don't like the engine compartment, looks like one big box with fins.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

it's really pretty (would look awesome if properly modeled and textured :wink: ).

however, the front part of the back fins (the big flat part) is like a giant drag magnet :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

If you need any inspiration for starships then take a look at the 8, actually 9 sets of ship types for MoO2.
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

MidKnight wrote:a giant drag magnet :P
Space, man. Space. That is all.
MidKnight

Post by MidKnight »

If I were using actual science, then why does it have the giant engine? one simple engine would do :P

...or even a launched liftoff... :?
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

Yeah true.

I was wondering why ships would need colossal engine. Maybe even a firework rocket would be enough to propel the ship to nearly the speed of light provided that the firework has crazy amounts of fuel. Since it is space :wink:
smoth

Post by smoth »

/me sighs, mass still needs force to propel it, otherwise we would be flying all over in space.
panzeriv2

Post by panzeriv2 »

sorry I forgot about that.
TheBigPK

Post by TheBigPK »

Gravity man, gravity.

So I actually contribute ontopic, it looks cool for a concept and could be neat fleshed out. The rear might be a tad large, but it could still look cool with some details imo
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

Well, in open space (as in no sources of gravity nearby) any engine, no matter how weak, can give you any speed (lover than c) given enough time and fuel. The higher your ship's mass, the more time and fuel it will take. That is, if you don't ever intend to land on planets/take off from them.
If you do intend to operate on a planet, you'll need the engine that can at least give your ship an acceleration higher than target planet's g (which is approx. 9.8 m/(sec*sec) for Earth).
That changes if you want your ship to be maneuverable - a powerful engine will give you a clear advantage in that case and will probably help you in combat as well.

So, for a military craft, a large engine looks quite feasible, while something like a bulk freighter may use smaller, less powerful engines and lots of fuel.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

MidKnight wrote:If I were using actual science, then why does it have the giant engine? one simple engine would do :P

...or even a launched liftoff... :?
Maybe the people who built the thing wanted to get some decent acceleration in case anything requires fast reactions like, say, combat? You'd want to be able to change your trajectory enough that it's hard to predict where you will be by the time any attack arrives. Slow trajectory changes mean the distance at which you have to stay to remain safe is much greater so an enemy with a better engine could get closer and keep dodging your attacks while you are a sitting duck for his.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

My interpretation of the Core Windmill (already UV-mapped and trembling in terror while awaiting my texturing "skills"). It sure might be a bit wasty in terms of polycount but I wanted the catchy part - i.e. that whole "wheel" part - to be really round ending up with a 14-sided mesh shape:

Reacting to the critics towards the Advanced Tidal Power Plant it's now going to be an underwater turbine (just did the basic shape yet):

rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

How are the fans going to spin if their shape isn't aerodynamic? No seriously, they're welded to the circular thing, so unless you turn it as a whole they can't be animated.
[Krogoth86]

Post by [Krogoth86] »

The wings aren't squares but have a simple I think 5 sided shape like for Cremuss's Windgen. When talking about them turning that's very well possible as - well this pretty much also works like for the one Cremuss did: The wings are attached to that cylindric thing in the middle which is placed upon that triangular "bracing". Well a pic probably shows it best:

The objects with the checker texture are seperate objects (dont mind that distortion - it's not triangulated yet which will fix that)...
VonGratz

Post by VonGratz »

Concept battleships models for the four races of the new Battlefleet mod.
vonGratz

KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

wow, those boats look pretty freaking awesome! nice work.
Regret

Post by Regret »

AIR PROPELLED HOVER TOILET
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Well, I for one like it.

Return to “Art & Modelling”