Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 140

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Guessmyname

Re: Random WIP

Post by Guessmyname »

Hoi wrote:Image

Better, gmn?
I'd suggest something like this (excuse my shitty sketching skills):

That way the wings look more fixed onto the body and the rear is a bit more aerodynamic*

*well, looks more aerodynamic. Not a clue if it actually is or not
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

Thanks, I'll get onto that after eating...
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

:P
daan 79

Post by daan 79 »

its a raider

cool raider :D
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Something i'm doing for work. ICE ICE BABY!

Still trying to make it look more like ice, didn't add caustics cause they take too damn long to render.
Hoi

Post by Hoi »

It's too perfect, try adding some water 'stains' and scratches, and a bit of blue.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Ice has blue in it, and for really really real ice, you need to use a texture with little rendered bubbles in it, and use a NURBS operation to cut some cracks through it, etc. Also, add quite a lot of blur to the refractions, it's not glass- typical big chunk of ice is really a fairly poor lens. Hard thing to get right, though- best of luck to ya, I haven't tried ice in a long time.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Thanks for crits, especially about the blurred refractions. I'm going to add the small cracks and whatnot in the bumpmap.
The problem I have is I need really high res maps for it, at least 3000x2 px cause its for large print, so anyone have super large bump maps of cracks lying around... :P
Tribulexrenamed

Post by Tribulexrenamed »

What else will be in the render?
IMO a lot depends on that.

A key thing to notice if you do big ice renders is that the bubbles in the ice contain air with a higher index of refraction than normal air, so from a larger angle the refraction should be shallower than expected. This detail can really make the bubbles look right.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Might get you to do a funky, "Imperial Winter" logo (imperial logo out of ice) lynx
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

For my first unit to try out my new model format lua script I just felt like making a hormagaunt (zergling). Seems like blender is getting pretty nice, the ambient bake seen here for example. Blender should also work out well for making the normal maps, seems like they just sorted that along with some decent zbrush like sculpting.

Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

'Nids FTW. There seems to be some mesh issues on the hind legs and claws tho.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

kekekeke?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:kekekeke?
Nope, OM NOM NOM, is what nids do
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

Some progress in trying to normalmap with blender, it's a bit sketchy but seems doable:

SpliFF

Post by SpliFF »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:Thanks for crits, especially about the blurred refractions. I'm going to add the small cracks and whatnot in the bumpmap.
The problem I have is I need really high res maps for it, at least 3000x2 px cause its for large print, so anyone have super large bump maps of cracks lying around... :P
This is the problem with the digital generation - you always think in terms of CG effects. Here's an idea, hire a hi-res camera, put some water in the freezer for 12 hours, then *snap*, perfect ice texture.

Sure, you might need to mess with it a bit but you won't get a better ice effect, especially if you also create a rough approximation of the final backdrop out of real world materials or even put a glossy print of the rendered scene background behind it. Then you'll also get refraction and coloring for free.

If it's an animation and you need true transparency then use a white background and play with the alpha or a 'magic pink' background and use chromakey effects.

You probably don't need a bump map, use something pretty generic and do some post-production touch-ups on the edges as needed (ie, airbrush in some droplets).
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

To photograph bumpmaps you can hold colored lights to the sides of the surface, I've seen someone use that to create a normalmap of a bowl full of corn just by photographing it and doing some post-processing.
Cremuss

Post by Cremuss »

http://cremuss.free.fr/3d/2008/1.jpg

3 T2 hovercraft models I made for my mod. 800-1000 tris.
I didn't thought it was so difficult to make hovercraft but I'm pretty satisfied of them :-)
smoth

Post by smoth »

I think they look great.
overkill

Post by overkill »

Looks good.

Return to “Art & Modelling”