Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 91

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Re: Random WIP

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Fuck me those look good.

I like the way you've worked on the reflection map to show where the paint has worn away revealing the more reflective metallic underlay. Very cool!

I hope the crab droid turns out just as nicely! ;)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Fuck me those look good.

I like the way you've worked on the reflection map to show where the paint has worn away revealing the more reflective metallic underlay. Very cool!

Spot the subtle hint there
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

GMN, You've got to use a magnifying glass:
Warlord Zsinj wrote:Fuck me those look good.

I like the way you've worked on the reflGMN, check your to-do listection map to show where the paint has worn away revealing the more reflective metallic underlay. Very cool!

Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

I have a to-do list? Oh, right...
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

Wolf-In-Exile wrote:Ok, after MUCH dicking about, I finally figured out where I EPIC FAIL-ed. I forgot to turn on mipmaps. *repeatedly bangs head on wall* Spent some time tweaking the texture, mainly the teamcolours and reflect map so it doesn't look like total crap.

As much awesome your texture is, it lacks strong contrasts from play distance (I've just seen it ingame).

I mean it'd be total kickass in a 3D shooter for example but at a small zoom level it is difficult to make out. If you could try to increase the contrast in the light areas (a gradient map layer from what ever to 127 in overlay mode works well) that'd be awesome...
smoth

Post by smoth »

the team color sections do seem a bit dark, is that where the issue is?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

No they're fine, just checked the alpha...

Quickly increased contrast and saturation a bit and IMO it reads better but eh...

Really nice texture by the way.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Why is everyone being so picky over the contrast and play distance when 90% of all units regardless of game/mod have the same issue but to a greater degree?
smoth

Post by smoth »

nice rattle.
Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

if all our units looked like that....man
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Was reluctant to up the TC saturation myself, cause it destroyed the more minor weathering detail on the 'paint', but meh, guess its a worthwhile compromise for being easier to identify from afar.

Anyway, looks nicer indeed.
ianmac

Post by ianmac »

Hi all.
This is just something I wacked up out of my head. 408 polies. Coments welcome.
Keithus

Post by Keithus »

Other than the impracticality of a submachinegun sized chain gun with a very small clip thats also been fitted with a scope for precision shooting, theres not much to say.
ianmac

Post by ianmac »

Well it shoots a .15 round. I worked the math and a 9" clip that is .9" wide could hold 324 rounds. With a rate of fire of 50 RPS it would be nighon imposible to shoot because of the acumelitive recoil...I am still working on that one.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

AF wrote:Why is everyone being so picky over the contrast and play distance when 90% of all units regardless of game/mod have the same issue but to a greater degree?
That IS why we're being so picky.

Here is the old vs the new, reflective units is on, nice dark background to ensure good contrast, with a close up and far away shot.

Ill leave the conclusions to you guys.

Anyway, thanks for the texture wolf, the detail is really mind-blowing.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

While it's difficult to argue that the unit isn't jaw-droppingly gorgeous, I do like the old one as well. It's not as highly detailed, but the contrast is pleasing to the eye. Perhaps it's just the map you picked, but it is a lot more noir - it looks like something out of DoW. Whereas the closeups of your new one looks like it's straight out of an FPS.

EDIT: On closer inspection of your post, it seems that was your point.
ironized

Post by ironized »

man that would look so sweet if you made it get paint damage only after its been in a fight.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

AF wrote:Why is everyone being so picky over the contrast and play distance when 90% of all units regardless of game/mod have the same issue but to a greater degree?
Because it being a widespread problem does not mean we shouldn't fix it?
smoth

Post by smoth »

In all honesty saktoth, the problem with the original texture is that it adds extremely strong shadows when the geometry should produce shadows. I am not talking about the shadows that you disable/enable. Spring has it's own shading applied to all the models. That map does not show any shadows on the model. Which means that the lighting on the map was done wrong. That sort of high contrast shadowing is really unnecessary. What you have in that shot is an apple and applecore comparison.

Now in all fairness it would be nice if wolf did paint some shadow onto the model. It is the same problem argh and mr. d have, they pain no pre drawn shadows. Many of the shots are either raytraced shots or they are using artificial lighting. I really wish people would realize that. Models should be posted fullbright and if they break with the idea of being shadowed by 70-80% light then they will unfortunately look solid. I am sure if wolf/mr d baked some shadows their models would show up even better.

Although I should probably state that I mean no offense to wolf or mr. D they both do a great job but what you are complaining about is the lack of shadow pre-rendered on the model. Considering the high graphical quality of CA using the old skin would be a step backward and looking at it full bright is important. If shadows were added to the model that would help a lot but they also do not need to be THAT strong.

I hope I am not stepping on toes here but the old skin is just really bad. try looking at the model on a map with lighting and yes I still say some shadows need to be added. In a proper fps engine those models would be fine as the engine would cover all the lighting however, this engine does not.

On the other hand saktoth, I feel that I should bring up one concern. CA is graphically intense as it is. why would you want to have the highest priority on lower end systems which cannot even manage shaders when CA uses much more intense effects?
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Im sorry but if its 'a problem with the map' then its 'a problem with almost every map'. 90% of spring maps have lighting like this (or worse). I chose the map because it was a nice dark background. Obviously i have very strong shadows on the model- because spring doesnt provide these. I agree, it would be lovely if the geometry would produce strong shadows, and it is a pity that it doesnt, as you yourself note.

This is your map, then. I hope the shadows are sufficient there. Ill agree with you that it is a bit of an improvement but it mostly just makes it darker (the one in the middle, without reflective units, barely benefits).
On the other hand saktoth, I feel that I should bring up one concern. CA is graphically intense as it is. why would you want to have the highest priority on lower end systems which cannot even manage shaders when CA uses much more intense effects?
Firstly, thats why i put a priority on lower end systems. CA should be playable on as many systems as is reasonably possible (within the range of Spring). By all means it should have advanced visual features such as LUPS, but those who value gameplay over graphics (not a criticism of your priorities just a statement of my own >_>) are always going to opt for turning all of that off anyway- which they can do (In the case of LUPS say).

Anyway, im not planning on using my texture, Wolfs is clearly better, but i do think it needs editing for visibility and i would just like to point out to everyone what i was talking about.

Return to “Art & Modelling”