Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 39

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I appreciate the attempt, but this thread is going to go off topic if I leave that here -Moderator
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

GATOR!!!

HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

The treads need to be fixed, perhaps more round, and with ridges or a bit taken out of the middle on the tread covers/mudguards to show the treads more. Other than that, looks great on the top.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

mostly textured. the teamcolours and reflections will break it up a lot
aidenvdh

Post by aidenvdh »

I am trying to learn to model low-poly*. Anybody would have any use for it? Untextured and probably needs some fixes, esp in the front part...

http : //img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r1pg1.png

--
* - hm, I think I need to concentrate on the "low" part.
** - this anti-spam stuff is annoying
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

it doesnt look like a gator
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

I think with the texture on the barrel, it is too distinct for a base texture, and not distinct enough for a final texture. The gun needs preshading, as well as some panel break-ups, muzzlevents, dirt, etc.

The white panel to the front of the turret looks quite strange, particularly against the very dark chassis texture(which needs to be lightened quite a bit, as you have some quite nice detailing there).
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Nice, though if you want a critique on low-poly, you want to take a shot that includes the wireframe (preferably, wireframe and shaded) so we can see the distinct edges.

I like the design, the bodywork is good. The guns and turret could do with more love (And if they are meant to be round, probably doesnt hurt to go with 6-sided, depending on in-game scale). The link between the front wheel and the body looks a bit thin, when viewed from the side.

The inset in the side of the wheels probably wont show up on the final model, its relatively easy to get that sort of indented appearance with a texture.

Also, try to upload jpg's next time, pngs cant be linked as images.

Zsinj, i dont think pressure wants critique on his texturing (Or at least, hasnt before). The white parts are untextured, thats what it looks like when it comes out of wings.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

NOiZE wrote:it doesnt look like a gator
Yeah, there has to be at least 30 of them in the picture in order for it to fit.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

aidenvdh wrote:I am trying to learn to model low-poly*. Anybody would have any use for it? Untextured and probably needs some fixes, esp in the front part...

http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=r1pg1.png

--
* - hm, I think I need to concentrate on the "low" part.
** - this anti-spam stuff is annoying
What saktoth said and is that supposed to be a trike from Dune 2000?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

[re: no critique wanted]

Oh. I didn't realise. Why post it in here then?
Argh

Post by Argh »

@aidenvdh:

About the only technical critique I have is that the rear wheels should be re-done- given the design, players are very unlikely to see all of the polygons you're using to make the inner ring and "hub", so you might as well use a texture instead- the polygons you'd save there (about 40 for each wheel, based on what I'm seeing) would "pay" for additional greebling on the body / turret areas, which players will naturally spend a lot more time actually looking at.

@PressureLine:

I really like the tank's geometry, that's actually pretty good and will fit the CA style, but the skin needs more interest, and the dark color is going to erase a lot of the detail in-game. Better overall though than any of your previous stuff, and I think that you're starting to get how to model low-poly and yet still have a definate sense of style.

@Wolf-In-Exile:

I'll go ahead and agree with previous critique- the main thing I see is light-sourcing on the bevels, which should be made consistant to the resting pose, and of course it needs weathering and stuff. Otherwise, tbh, I can't really complain much, that must have taken quite awhile just to get all of the panels done, staring at whatever you're using as the reference. Overall, pretty darn nice. I wouldn't have made it black, myself, but it's Dragoons livery, so meh, it's correct.

@KDR: Color variation is all well and good, but you've gotta be careful- PURE's stuff has to look good on Earth-like environments and everywhere else. IRL, most stains on vehicles are black, dark grays, brown, and occasionally green, reflecting lubricants, exhaust gasses, dirt and mushed up plants. I've been avoiding the hints of green, though, since I think it'd look "off" on any map that wasn't Earthlike.

I could invent various semi-plausible reasons to have even more color variations, of course, but frankly I'm just trying to keep everything very visually consistant, so that it all feels right. I'll think about this a bit more when I'm done with the Alpha set- I've just now gotten enough of it done to send to the artists for a first-look review.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Saktoth wrote:Zsinj, i dont think pressure wants critique on his texturing (Or at least, hasnt before). The white parts are untextured, thats what it looks like when it comes out of wings.
correct on both counts.

the reason the barrel texture is essentially flat is because it will have extremely high reflectivity (look at my AK for how reflective) if people are playing without reflections, lol tough.
aidenvdh

Post by aidenvdh »

Thanks for comments :)
rattle wrote: What saktoth said and is that supposed to be a trike from Dune 2000?
Yeah, I started using this image: [1] . Too bad I don't really remember it in-game, but, Ive played only one mission and been rather young back then ;) Oh, and I stopped looking at it /until now/ shortly before taking shot. Just thought it is easier vehicle to start with than some eva's mecha or whatever ;).

Anyway, this is where I stopped yesterday: [2] . Don't know if body changes were the best idea, but the five joining triangles in the previous picture, top view, seemed wrong to me. I think later I will rebuild front of the body once more (and add some loop-cut), rebuild "turret"/guns and perhaps start uv-mapping?

[1] dune2k.com/Images/Duniverse/Games/Dune2000/SpecialUnits/raider.jpg
[2] img124.imageshack.us/img124/7782/r2mj5.png
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Argh, just semi-randomly apply subtly different hues to different parts of the model. Also keep in mind that not only dirt adds color, diffuse light will add some color, e.g. some brown closer to the ground and some blue on upwards-facing surfaces. Having the same color on so many surfaces looks boring and fake.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

(Argh, Zsinj and anyone else I make models for will probably try and kill me for making these. In my defence, most of my free time involves a webcomic, and the drawing thereof)

Dauntless and Sword Class Imperial ships from Battlefleet Gothic
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

A jihad! A jihad on you!

;)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Which variety of jihad, and what webcomic?
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

The Star Wars Spring type of Jihad!

*starts flinging ewoks*
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

My Ewok slaves!!! noooo...

Seriously GMN, nice looking shizzle there. Good work, even if it's misguided.

Return to “Art & Modelling”