Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 38

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Argh

Post by Argh »

Maelstrom's contest design, after minor rework by me, paint by me. Made it taller, tapered the gun a little bit, and had to rework the entire uvmap- there were a few major problems, which I caught only after starting to paint :oops:

Y'know what? That's the 100th public teaser shot I've posted here. Kind've crazy.

And Lathan, I think it's fair to say that that reference is intentional, which is why I keep repeating it- one of these days, I should explain all of the visual jokes I include in these things ;)

[edit]

Y'know, I still have no bloody idea how to script this, so that it is always aligned right. Counter-rotating those gears will involve all sorts of pain and suffering, and I'm not sure that Spring will re-call the aiming function often enough to reverse the teeth during combat. I dunno. Is one rotation of the cogs equivalent to a half-turn of the turret? Puzzles, puzzles. I hate fricking puzzles :P

[re-edit]

No, thank goodness, they're equivalent gearing- the ratio is 1:1. Ok, that keeps things very simple. Thank goodness- I wanna get this in game and work on aGorm's, while I'm still in the mood.

[re-re-edit]

Nope, it's not 1:1 after all, and I'm going to have to take previous rotation into account. Bother.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Really nice textures, Argh!

WIP:

Finished product:

Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

is it just me or is the turret rotation point a bit off on the t70? (or was the russian designer a bit drunk?)
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Argh wrote:Image
Sorry, but taller just doesn't work for this unit. It looks like its now going to over balance and fall over. And the PURE texturing job on this just doesn't fit with steam punk. This really needs shiny brass everywhere, except the cog bits which are grimy metal.

Unfortunately, that definitely inst the style of PURE, so i guess i should stop complaining and do it myself if i want some nice steam punk :P
Argh

Post by Argh »

<sighs>

It needed to be taller, for gameplay reasons. It's basically an Energy Annihilator, it needs to be tall enough to have decent LOS. Really, it looks very solid in-game, due to the massive base, and it does not look like it's going to fall over. At any rate, it's done, I'm moving on. If you want to play with the revised model / map, let me know.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Pressure Line wrote:is it just me or is the turret rotation point a bit off on the t70? (or was the russian designer a bit drunk?)
The turret is off-center.
yuritch
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by yuritch »

T-70 turret is correclty placed off-center, that's what the tank looked like IRL.
ImageImage
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

i meant front-rear >_>
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Nice work Argh & keithus, the mandroid looks particularly like a nice design.

Thumbnails here since I already posted it in the mod thread:

Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

It's clearly a very nice texture; but I do think the grey needs to be broken up a bit with areas of contrast.

Also, the darker panel lines perhaps look a little unrealistic with highlight edges on both sides; this makes them look a little painted on rather then indented.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Not just contrast, also small color variations. BTW, Argh, you should try those too.
Wolf-In-Exile

Post by Wolf-In-Exile »

Thanks for the crits KDR_11k & Warlord Zsinj, i'll fix all that, especially the lightsource issue for the panelling.

Still need to add a dirtmap, weathering layer, teamcolour, and a hundred more tex tweaks. :|
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

Its still an Atlas, and its still whoopass!
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

modeled off the one in the top right of this pic:

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

On the picture those small things around the crystal look like arms holding it, in your model they look like tubes that are connected to the crystal.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

artistic license :D
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

It turns the thing from something that's hiolding a magical crystal into a sci-fi reactor or something.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

revised, crystal holders now hold the crystal instead if passing through it.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Has a sort of Core Fusion generator look about it...
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

looks more like superficial religious to me... :roll:

Return to “Art & Modelling”