Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 30

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

you may be tired Argh, but im drunk ^_^
Argh

Post by Argh »

@PL: Good, then we're both sozzled. I can't imagine painting whilst drunk, I'll have to try it sometime ;)

<looks at painted WIP>

Better, actually. The skin gives it some flavor and breaks it up a bit. Give it some greebles, and paint in some wear, and it'll come together. Don't forget some sort of specific greebling for the ends of the actuators, to give them visual contrast with the rest of those parts- it really helps.

On the joints... I'd do a gray fill, about values 150, 150, 175 RGB, then work it with the airbrush, first lighter gray, away from the edges, then with very dark red, almost black, and very slow airbrush, to push the edges of the "joints", establish some lines, and add some "realistic" touches, all at the same time- I use that trick constantly.

The dark armor... hmm. I'd fill again, with a solid color, not nearly that dark, then work in some greebles, then darken more naturally with the airbrush, to give it better contrast. It feels very messy and noisy right now, and is too dark- players won't see details.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

it wont be that dark ingame. wings lighting is a bit crap. i find that that things that are so dark i cant see them in wings renders look fine in game
smoth

Post by smoth »

pl, set the models material to have white on the emission slider.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

yeah i forgot bout that, the unit is amost ready to get ingame, but too drunk to write a walk script, so it will have to wai till tomorrow
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Argh, the unit's toes go far enough forward to keep it balanced, at least on the picture you drew the arrows on.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

completed~!
smoth

Post by smoth »

you should give that unit to the brown side.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Looks quite nice in motion :)

A question, do the eyes/cameras rotate around? I think that could look very cool, if they just rotated around randomly, as if it's switching between lenses as it focuses on different things...
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

currently, no. and i think that if we are at the stage of technolgical deveolpment where we have gigantic mechs flinging plasma and lasers at each other, we can afford to put more than one camera in the head of a robot :P (although i did consider it)
Argh

Post by Argh »

Lookin' better, and certainly more lively. I still think that the dark brown needs more contrast- even some simple panel lines, done with bevels, would help a lot, and wouldn't involve any changes to the model itself. It would make it feel more detailed, and do a lot to define the shapes of the objects, especially the feet and the body / hip area, which almost looks like one piece in that shot.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

i blame the terrible lighting on Noize's maps for that.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

So now you're arguing the realistic point of view?!? :P
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:So now you're arguing the realistic point of view?!? :P
when it suits me, yes. basically i couldnt be bothered.
Warlord Zsinj

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

See, that answer would've done fine in the first place ;P
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

Snipawolf wrote:Hehe, I love flamethrowers... These guys use a primitive sort of flamer, so I won't even go into why it doesn't look like a standard flamer IRL. Chris was complaining about giving away too much by showing the unit (lol) so I cut it, merely for his sake.

I wanna know more about this!
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

As for GMN, I got this from him, then his compy imploded Sad I'm afraid that this is the last anybody is going to get until that turns around, which is too bad, since I thought that, after I fiddled with it a bit, it fits in with the other vehicles pretty well, and has that proper, "Weasel-like" feel that I was hoping for.
Um, actually my computer's still ticking. I can still model - I've just been away for the weekend.
Zsinj wrote:And GMN, nooo! Not another mod Wink
Heh, don't worry, I'm still doing SWS stuff

@At the sniper robot
Does that gun remind anyone else of a Tau battlesuit railgun?
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Guessmyname wrote:@At the sniper robot
Does that gun remind anyone else of a Tau battlesuit railgun?
Exactly what i thought. They look cool.
Erom

Post by Erom »

I love Tau. So nicely designed.
[KnoX]ElementalGizmo
XTA Developer

Post by [KnoX]ElementalGizmo »

looks so damn top heavy its not even lolable imo :?

Return to “Art & Modelling”