Random WIP 2006-2011 - Page 64

Random WIP 2006-2011

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

Azare, there is someone who did take up the project. I have no idea where he went but I promised him that if he kept it up I would do the faction I promised to.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Rattle the reason you can't tell them apart is because by then they should have turned into icons and you've changed your setup not to.

That or the shapes aren't distinctive enough.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

azaremoth wrote:^^ :D
Pressure Line wrote:needs more saturation on the teamcolour imo.
I really dislike bright team colors... It is enough to realise which team owns the units. 8)
unless you have both arm and core players on each team...
quantum

Post by quantum »

azaremoth wrote: This never was my project - I was just modeling... And as there was noone else participating... :roll:
Hi! Here is a shameless attempt at recruiting you :wink: You seem unmotivated by your current project... Why not join CA? :-) We have a very active and large-ish development team. I love your models and we are desperate for modelers. Your models fit Core perfectly, imho.

Information on CA can be found at http://www.caspring.org or here. We usually hang out at #ca in the lobby.
lurker

Post by lurker »

There are enough people working on copyvio mods.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

smoth wrote:Azare, there is someone who did take up the project. I have no idea where he went but I promised him that if he kept it up I would do the faction I promised to.
Hehe - Yes there is someone: Kovin and I joined and the others him already. So - there is a good chance that you'll have to stick to your promise :wink:
quantum wrote: Hi! Here is a shameless attempt at recruiting you Wink You seem unmotivated by your current project... Why not join CA? Smile We have a very active and large-ish development team. I love your models and we are desperate for modelers. Your models fit Core perfectly, imho.
Actually I am very pleased with the current progress of the project. But I thought about allowing some other projects to use "common models" like the (core and arm) solars, mexes, defense towers, storages, etc. if the gerneral style is desirabled. As my interpretation of Core units is very dark (little more evil and more robotic than the archetypes) I'm not too sure If the models will fit every mod.
Otherside

Post by Otherside »

just been doing some models for CA but seems some dont fit the TA style ( i refuse to make exact copies of 10 year old designs whats the point?? when you can work on your own stuff :])

heres a core plane model its uvmapped and modelled but need to texture it but paletted core colors to see how its meant to look - a detailed texture and stuff

i doubt it will fit in so if any1 wants it wen its finished let me know (if not i might use it for my own mod)
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

If it get's an appropriate texture it would fit ARM nicely imho...

I played around with teamcolors on grey - if you use a moderate grey the results are quite nice:

Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Actually I am very pleased with the current progress of the project. But I thought about allowing some other projects to use "common models" like the (core and arm) solars, mexes, defense towers, storages, etc. if the gerneral style is desirabled. As my interpretation of Core units is very dark (little more evil and more robotic than the archetypes) I'm not too sure If the models will fit every mod.
Please do! Your models are quite simply visual intercourse (shock horror who would have thought!). I think they fit perfectly, and if not, we can re-design CA around them AFAIC. :P
Last edited by Saktoth on 01 Dec 2007, 23:28, edited 1 time in total.
smoth

Post by smoth »

azaremoth wrote:
smoth wrote:Azare, there is someone who did take up the project. I have no idea where he went but I promised him that if he kept it up I would do the faction I promised to.
Hehe - Yes there is someone: Kovin and I joined and the others him already. So - there is a good chance that you'll have to stick to your promise :wink:
Darn it all, what ever will I do :P
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

azaremoth wrote:I played around with teamcolors on grey - if you use a moderate grey the results are quite nice
They're pretty close to the real colors, looks good to me. But you should try some more colors, especially lighter ones and make sure they don't look like white team color.

I wish the glow shader would detect if a color coordinate has an alpha value and use that shade of team color then instead. Atm glow uglifies team colors in most cases :(
quantum

Post by quantum »

azaremoth wrote:dark (little more evil and more robotic than the archetypes) I'm not too sure If the models will fit every mod.
It's exactly how I see Core. I darkened a few original units, too.
smoth

Post by smoth »

incase anyone here has not realized it. Under the team color you should have black, otherwise you are going to get off colored team color.

Copying the texture information for your alpha layer can result in very good team color. This example was a purely greyscale then I fired it right onto my alpha (inverted it, I think) and then the rest of the texture channels were black. So it was alpha on black. Team color is done via overlay. If anything is under the teamcolor section it will come out odd.

rattle:
Have you tried black texture with glowmap and teamcolor over it? I cannot try it do to my compy being fukt.

Otherside, try and keep the image no wider then 640 it really stretches the forum.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I use black and white to add shading to teamcolors. It's difficult but at least it doesn't look desaturated.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Yeah, I usually go for a grey.
azaremoth
Cursed Developer

Post by azaremoth »

I`ll play around with black and white - but i doubt that it has to be black to look good. As long as there is no "real" color underneath the team-alpha it looked quite fine until now.
smoth

Post by smoth »

The problem with desaturation through the usage of a thinner team color and an texture color beyond black is that if I want a color I will not get it. What if I have a good low saturation color? The problem to me with that philosophy is that people are trying to subdue bright reds and bright blues rather then desaturating their red and blue appropriately.

If the tint or shade is not right on the color then change the color, don't distort the color in the texture to make it something else. That is one thing I disagree with. The player chose that color, if they want neon pink let them have it. If they want a nice indigo let them have it.
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

rattle:
Have you tried black texture with glowmap and teamcolor over it? I cannot try it do to my compy being fukt.
Yes, I experimented with it a while back (when I finally could make use of glow and reflection maps!).

I think that was a gaussian blurred subtle glow map (64) on full 255 team color. Was the only setting I found that worked nice without turning light colors into white and preserves the team colors.

Generally I control the shade of the team color with the texture when I'm not using full team color and both together can make some nice results, though it's quite easy to mess up and having to redo the team color stuff. :(
smoth

Post by smoth »

rattle, I so want that in tower defense also! are you going to be finishing off your other works soon?
rattle
Damned Developer

Post by rattle »

The tank was finished until I decided to remodel parts of it and now it's unfinished again... I'll try to fix it up soon. The mech needs to be skinned... I've got some more stuff with bad textures lying around if you're interested. I'll just put it all up and you can pick out what you want.

Return to “Art & Modelling”