OTA units remake - Page 3

OTA units remake

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Tsumari

Post by Tsumari »

Number One, you're being a bit pushy man. If you had any idea how much work it takes to get a project like this even barely scraping along - much less operating smoothly - you might just chill out and say "cool!"

It's also a bit rough to tell the admin he needs to tell you what is up with the modeling project. If you don't know who was doing it in the first place, why not just wait and learn?

As far as what the units look like, bring them on. I want that commander on my spring install yesterday =)
Kinection

Post by Kinection »

Are we going to be alowed to post in this forum?

I'm still wondering if there is a Blender -> 3DO utility because Blender users (such as myself) can't help right now.
Besides, it's fitting for open source free game to be have models made in open source free program.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

How will these improvements impact resources ie, cpu and memory
A four player game with a 1k unit limit means a lot of units. :?

EDIT: Just noticed this question has been covered :oops:
zwzsg has a point, TA is still a handfull for computers today if your playing two or more players with 500 units each, in fact lots a people have a 1k limit. Some ground units could use a few bottom surfaces.
RightField

Post by RightField »

You could solve it with vertex merging of units at a distance, or use the old undetailed models when the units get so far away you don't notice the difference.
jouninkomiko

Post by jouninkomiko »

considering the fact that most models are low poly count and that there are *alot* of them, running a CLOD algorithm on them to reduce poly count will waste more resources than the fewer vertices will make up for. the better solution is to have extra low poly count models to be substituted for at a distance, but that might results in very weird popping effects
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Only if its done poorly.
Gabba

Post by Gabba »

Well right now from the bug reports it seems that with large numbers of units, the processor gets bugged down before the gpu (if you have a good graphics card, I guess), because of pathfinding, etc. So a few more polys should be fine; but it would be great to add support for keeping low-poly models in the same unit files, both for low-end computers or for viewing at a distance.
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

I don't think it's poly's that are the main limiting factor anyway, right now it's textures and how Spring handles/limits them.

I wish I was rich and could just program on this stuff all day ;)
Benito

Post by Benito »

Someone on the TA Universe forums mentioned a program called Silo for TA model editing. It has DXF import/export which you can use with 3DO Builder, plus the free learning edition has a 100 face save limit which is just enough faces for low-poly TA models (considering you can use 100 faces per object within the model). Its very easy to learn and use, I managed to put together a higher poly, missing face free version of the Arm Stumpy in four evenings, having never produced any models previously:

Download 3DO
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

not bad! as long as the muzzle flash isn't there as standard (one of the things about EvOTA i hate)
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Looks very nice. what we need now is new textures for tracks
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

Gabba wrote:Well right now from the bug reports it seems that with large numbers of units, the processor gets bugged down before the gpu (if you have a good graphics card, I guess), because of pathfinding, etc. So a few more polys should be fine; but it would be great to add support for keeping low-poly models in the same unit files, both for low-end computers or for viewing at a distance.
exactly. We need high poly units, and support for more textures. Has anyone seen what the new GeForce 7 can do? Whoa!
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

Grrrrrrr stupid GeForce 7...my FX 5200 just doesn't cut it anymore :'(
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

exactly. We need high poly units, and support for more textures. Has anyone seen what the new GeForce 7 can do? Whoa!
*kaboom!*

my geforce 4 just sloped becuase of you! You owe me a 3 year old grapichs card!

but yea, maybe time to upgrade. My computer is making weird nosies from the fan, and the front has a 5*8 hole in it since i removed 2 of the panels-.-*
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

>.< damn stop reminding me of the funny whirring noises my PC makes *shivers* still got a few years left mehopes!!!
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Doomweaver wrote:
Gabba wrote:Well right now from the bug reports it seems that with large numbers of units, the processor gets bugged down before the gpu (if you have a good graphics card, I guess), because of pathfinding, etc. So a few more polys should be fine; but it would be great to add support for keeping low-poly models in the same unit files, both for low-end computers or for viewing at a distance.
Not everyone can afford a GeForce 7. :evil:
aTTacK

Post by aTTacK »

hmpf im glad that i got a gf4 last week.. and u guys talkt about gf7

8[
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

is that the SLI stuff? I've not been keeping upto date with my hardware news lately.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Yhe... geforce 7's are the bolloks, and yes you can SLI them (ooooow). You can SLI geforce 6's aswell if you get the right ones...

However just because a new graphics cards out does not mean make the game have more detail and stuff. It still needs to run on a top end geforce 4 or mid teir geforce 5, (or ATI equivilent) as this is what most people have. Only the rich have geforce 6's and the even richer (richer becasue they just got a new mobo and processor to go with the PCI Express requirments...) have a geforce 7. (unless they had a mobo with PCI express already but then they must have a geforce 6 or equiv anyway, and so why the hell would they get a 7??)

Enough ramabling.... when the units are remade, you can't make them to only run on a geforce 7!! Thats all im gonna say.

aGorm
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

SLI? is this the thingey where 2 PCI gcards can be linked together or something to increase the power???

Return to “Art & Modelling”