Pitbull_spring - Page 2

Pitbull_spring

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

Sheekel

Post by Sheekel »

what are these for? XTA? AA?

Translation (ish):

Sont pour quoi est-ce que ceux-ci ? XTA? AA?
cyclerboy

Post by cyclerboy »

i want it SO bad
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

ShockedI wish the googly eyes on the shocked expression were bigger...

but they will have to do: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

If you wonder why the boxy thing in front, it's because his models are inspired from the early Cavedog renders that only the TA buffs of the first hours will remember.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

hmm was it really like that in the intro movie? i thought it looked more like i described. or was that one of the pre-release concepts that just didn't turn out?
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

It still looks cool!
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

The intro reveals a model similar as the early render zwzsg directed us too. However, sometimes the model used in OTA is drasticly diffrent then the model the intro uses. Take the core silencer as example: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3759
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

News screens progres
Generuler

Post by Generuler »

awesome model!!!

äääähh.....très très bien!! magnifique!! extraordinaire!! xD

But the side of the bulldog cries for an arm logo like on the Bulldog in the Intor :-)
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

:shock:
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Very nice model ! It look a bit bright though

Très beau model! Il est un peu claire par contre.
TA 3D

Post by TA 3D »

Sinclaire, Spring will use TGA files, but if you want the textures to work better and run more effencetly, use .dds files which is a native image format for videocards made by Nvidia.
NOTE: Upspring makes the files fliped verticaly so you will have to flip the UV coordinates in Upspring.
Heres an example of a dds file I made for a model recently.
Texture 1 Texture and Team color:
Texture RGB-channels of the first dds texture file::
Team color-the alpha channel of the first dds texture file:

Texture 2 Reflectivity and Illumination:
Reflection green-channel of the second dds texture file:
Illumination red-channel of the second dds texture file:

Upspring can make dds files using the S3O Texture Builder option under the Texture menu.
Making the first dds file.
And making the second.

When you want to bring in UV coordinates, go to the Texture Mapping menu again and click on Import UV coordinates from model. Since the texture is fliped vertically you have to flip the UV coordinates. If the Team color doesn't work try inverting the the Team color image using the invert box. I hope this helps.

Keep up the good work. :wink:
**edit don't use png's for making the dds files like I have shown. It won't work. Use bmp images.**
Last edited by TA 3D on 20 Apr 2006, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

You shouldn't outline the meeting places of poly's.

Real metal is shiny and white on angles because the paint and aging easily scrapes off on the angled peices. It looks odd when you have black lines at your seems.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Aye, the black lines makes it look funny. But those parts arn't textured yet.
The textured part is... incredible. Much better then my textures :( I should learn from you!

indeed, it is a little on the bright side.

/me takes notes
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

News screens progrès :wink:

Donwload 3ds format +bmp textures 1024x1024 bientôt :wink:
SJ

Post by SJ »

Nice work however im not sure that 1024*1024 textures is the best idea. Two 1024*1024 dds textures will take 2MB of memory which if used on all ~250 units would mean you would need a 512MB graphic card, and that the mod would be a 500MB (well a bit less with compression) download.

Of course someone compiling a mod from such units could rescale them later and the high res models might find some use for something else. Not sure what is the best approach.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

Yeah, save the high-res one for future use (high res texture packs for games are always nice), but package it with something like 256x256.
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

Ok download model test two format: low,3ds tree format mapping:Hight,Medium,Low bmp sorry bad anglais :wink:

http://www.planetannihilation.com/taan/ ... g-test.zip
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

Don't worry about communication, your images speaks for over a 1000 words ;)

Indeed a 1024*1024 texture is large in MB and memory. It also makes Spring load a while when the texture is first loaded. (a small standstil).
My silencer model is useing a 512*512 texture, maybe too high as well. the chop when first placed isn't really bugging me, but I have a quite high-end PC. You find the same in Nanoblobs v0.3 where all units are s3o and give slight chops when fist time placing them.

If someone is ever going to make a Spring trailer again (which I am planning for... over a year or so) the availability of high resolution textures would be great!

Edit:

Raytrached shaded:

Okay, I've took the liberty to test this unit in Spring.
I've quickle made an alpha layer on the first texture and made a quick second.
The model is to be turned -90°on the X-axis in order to showed up correctly in Spring (the axes are diffrent in Spring then in 3dsm).
Also the model is to be scaled down with a rough 0,17 in order to be as large as the current bulldog.

I've added two empty objects: flare1 and flare2. both on the exit of the two barrles. From here, the weapon is fired.
With that, the exact same scribt as the old bulldog can be used. (if all the objects are named correctly: base, sleeve, barrel2, flare2, barrel1, flare1)

And this is how it could look in Spring:

if you want, I could take my time and do it with effort.
sinclaire

Post by sinclaire »

OUAA verry good :shock: change views? profil

Return to “Art & Modelling”