Building Features

Building Features

Share and discuss visual creations and creation practices like texturing, modelling and musing on the meaning of life.

Moderators: MR.D, Moderators

LathanStanley

Building Features

Post by LathanStanley »

Well... I decided to get to modeling those old TA buildings, I started on this one a LOOONG time ago, then aborted it because of the fact I couldn't import 3DS save files into Spring, and now that its possible I re-opened it, and have begun ALOT more work into making the building...

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated..

no, there is no UV map, or skin yet.. for any of the models...
Volunteers accepted...

Just an update, I've got LOTS more to add to each model...
the faces (YES only the tris) are from 1800 to 2200 on each model so far... (I'm trying not to get tooo carried away..)

Undamaged Stage:

Damage Stage #1:

Damage Stage #2:

I plan on making about 3 more damaged stages...
just on this one building....

I still plan on making the rest of the buildings used in Old Skool TA....

this is just a start...

I'll set up some UV maps if someone wants to try to texture the skins for em :wink:

The sooner we get them done, the sooner we start to see real urban maps ..

shoot me a hollar....
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

In the numbers these will be appearing polys WILL start to become an issue.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

well... hopefully, with the amount of different structures I'll make, thse will be conserved in numbers....

I'd expect to see about 8-10 of this style on a map, at most...

there will be MANY different types to use...
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

Nother update.... the last one got to 2888 tris.... could be worse I guess...

If I REEEAALLLY get bored, I could prolly knock it down to around 2500 if I hunted EVERY facet on every one of the blocks on the ground and deleted the extras and the ends of the I-beams inside the building...

I've done a pretty good job though keeping the facets under control...

anyhoo, here's some candy..

Stage 3:

Stage 4:

any thoughts??
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

It look really cool, can't wait to have them textured!

I hope Spring can handle so many polygon :)
(IIRC, feature are in one piece, and it don't move, rotate etc, so it take quite less power than unit)
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

It can. Spring can handle a large amount of triangles. It might be unwise to make a model with more then 50.000 faces or so.

The model looks great! Can't wait for it to be textured as well.
Which probably take a lot of time, considering the complexety of some parts.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Aslong as there arnt more than say 50 or so of these on screen im sure we'll be fine.
I had somthing of an accident when i placed about 10,000 1000 polly featurs on a map by accident, spring slowed right down... (and my machines no sloth)

Are they UV maped or are they just the models? Id love to have a bash (but i promis nothing amazing... im still learning!!)

aGorm
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

aGorm wrote:Aslong as there arnt more than say 50 or so of these on screen im sure we'll be fine.
I had somthing of an accident when i placed about 10,000 1000 polly featurs on a map by accident, spring slowed right down... (and my machines no sloth)

Are they UV maped or are they just the models? Id love to have a bash (but i promis nothing amazing... im still learning!!)

aGorm
working on UV mapping some GOOD UV maps...

it'll make it about 100 times easier to paint them well with GOOD UV maps...

I'll prolly have the first mapped tonight, and from there 1 a day....

you are welcome to paint them agorm... and for that matter, I'll post the UV maps with BOTH the flat wireframes to paint on, and the copy you paint.... if people decide to get the urge to "modify" it... I'll let them, and if its better than the one before it, I'll update it.

The only thing I ask for all of you guys's sakes.... TELL EACHOTHER WHO IS WORKING ON WHAT AT A CURRENT TIME!, no need for 2 or 3 people to skin the same thing differently and force eachother to have to cut and paste parts of each map onto a master etc, and waste lots of effort....
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Grovey man...

BTW, have you any pics of what its ment to look like? (If this is teaken from TA or some other game that is...) If its yoru own devising no worries, ill go wild. (not litraly)

Also, make sure the image is nice and big, shrinking is better than expanding. (but hay you know that anyway)

aGorm
smoth

Post by smoth »

Zenka wrote:It can. Spring can handle a large amount of triangles. It might be unwise to make a model with more then 50.000 faces or so.

The model looks great! Can't wait for it to be textured as well.
Which probably take a lot of time, considering the complexety of some parts.
actually... you'd be suprised what lethans buildings would do to your framerate.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

The problem with you destroyed stages is that it doesn't look like a real building being destroyed so much as a brick with reinforcing steel being chipped away at.
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

Das Bruce wrote:The problem with you destroyed stages is that it doesn't look like a real building being destroyed so much as a brick with reinforcing steel being chipped away at.
facets buddy, facets....

if I started to model the floors and everything... it would gob up 10's of THOUSANDS of facets.... you don't want that...

so what do you do? you chip away at it, and texture the image of floors etc, on those irregular surfaces....

:wink:

it'll work, don't panic
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

oh, btw, here's the texture UV map for the first one...

I'll TRY to keep the maps simillar, but with the enormous differences in #'s of textures... its NOT gonna be easy...

the best piece of advice I can give you, is to work in Photochop, and SAVE ALL YOUR LAYERS INDIVIDUALLY.. that way, when you decide to put the same windows etc, on the second stage, you aren't trying to cut/paste and stretch and all that garbage an image allready saved... it just reduces quality to do that....

but here ya go:

I spent some time learning some nifty tricks with making the maps... (always learning)
The next ones will be faster...

durrr... I suppose the model would help...

PM me for the model...

Return to “Art & Modelling”